Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old December 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Heroscape Power Rankings

Whats the point of concan? he only buffs kyrie

Edit: and knights but the only way he helps the 4th mass statistically is valiance
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamissflash View Post
Sure you read his card right there, chief?

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old December 16th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Quote:
Sure you read his card right there, chief?
Edited . thanks
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
the only way he helps the 4th mass statistically is valiance
You're half-right. But Jexik is basically suggesting a specific army build (530 points?) in which Concan fills the last 80 points but takes up 25 starting spaces. You then drop one of your 4th Mass, and then you fit on the 24-hex starting zone.

Basically, instead of one more squad of mass (which wouldn't fit in your start zone anyway) you throw Concan in. He's better than the single 4th squaddie that you lose, and doesn't screw up the 4th's Valiant Defense bonus...I think I got that right.....

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I played two games last night (600 point armies) and, for old times' sake played:

4 x 4th Massachusetts Line
2 x Sentinels of Jandar
Concan

(totals 590)

In one game Concan was very used full and took down Taelord in one game after the 4th had softened him up a bit.

In the other game he wasn't needed at all.
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:39 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

I can see the reasoning for Concan. It's also interesting to see the difference between Thorgrim vs. Concan in matchups.

Vydar Range: The 4th Mass are usually forced to be more aggressive in this matchup I think Thorgrim will be next to useless. Concan may give you an end game shot.
Concan

RatPodge: It's dependant upon what the Ratpodge uses. More then likely though they are using either the Krav or AE or possibly both so Thogrim is less likely to be a factor here. Concan may be more useful in fighting heroes for the end game.
Concan

Blasts/Glads: Against hero killing Blasts/Glads I don't see Concan being too useful here. At least Thorgrim can help save your guys from random pot shots. It's a good matchup for you though so really I doubt either hero is going to be a huge factor. I'll say Thorgrim since this matchup becomes even tougher with the extra defense
Thorgrim

Melee Based (Knights, Gruts, Dwarves, Minions, etc.) - Highly favorable once again. With Thorgrim it's probably just an outright slaughter. I doubt either Concan or Thogrim would come into play here though.
Thorgrim

Mirror: Probably the most interesting one. Oftentimes this matchup is decided more by who gets successful Wait then Fires and can keep the valuable central high ground spots. In fact I'd say that Concan might be more useful here since you really don't want to waste early turns moving Thorgrim into that perfect position while your opponent's units are gaining high ground on you.
Concan

Stinger Hybrids: I'll say Thogrim here. Stingers can't outrange you so this will give you plenty of opportunities for Wait then Fires. You may also have more time to move Thogrim into position if they're playing Raelin and/or Reavers.
Thorgrim

I'm sure there are plenty of other matchups mentioned here such as Frenzybased, Tor-Kul-Na, etc. I just wanted to cover some of the most common matchups you'll come across. They look evenly split and Thorgrim will help you win more in winnable matchups while Concan gives you more staying power in your poorer matchups. Overall due to his boost for poorer matchups Concan is a slight favorite in my opinion of course.

D&D Sidenote: The newest Black Dragon looks quite interesting alongside 5x4th Mass. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before but I was thinking of the suicidal options for 150 points and he looks perfect for that.

Grenade lobbyist

Last edited by MattserTruckRally; December 30th, 2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Rough Draft#1, Rough Draft#2, and now Rough Draft#3
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

MattserTR...thank you. I love reading your analyses. Not that I always agree with every detail, but you write such understandable English and we all know from the record (and from playing against you) that you know what you're talking about. Thank you for taking the time to share your views on Concan and Thorgrim. Me, I've favored Concan in the builds; but that's just me.
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:19 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattserTruckRally View Post

D&D Sidenote: The newest Black Dragon looks quite interesting alongside 5x4th Mass. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before but I was thinking of the suicidal options for 150 points and he looks perfect for that.
I think dok mentioned that in one of the "Pre-Release Discussion" threads. I think I'd rather have Major Q10 though most of the time. He can't really be ignored either, can always get at least 2 attacks of 4 and has better survivability. Plus he owns ManTrainChooChoo.

I suppose if there's swamp/shadow on the map though, Othkurik would be a nice way to bust Q9. Mimring might be a fun suicide figure too for 150 points.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
MattserTR...thank you. I love reading your analyses. Not that I always agree with every detail, but you write such understandable English and we all know from the record (and from playing against you) that you know what you're talking about. Thank you for taking the time to share your views on Concan and Thorgrim. Me, I've favored Concan in the builds; but that's just me.
It's ironic you said that and I immediately noticed an incomplete sentence in my above post, but in my defense my thoughts are mainly a jumbled bunch of incomplete sentences. :P

Grenade lobbyist

Last edited by MattserTruckRally; December 30th, 2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: And thanks Rev! :)
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I suppose if there's swamp/shadow on the map though, Othkurik would be a nice way to bust Q9. Mimring might be a fun suicide figure too for 150 points.
That's what I was thinking as I read what Mattser wrote. Othkurik's 7 move with flying and 7 attack on Lurking turns is pretty deadly as an assassin unit. The foe-discerning splash is pretty cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:06 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
That's what I was thinking as I read what Mattser wrote. Othkurik's 7 move with flying and 7 attack on Lurking turns is pretty deadly as an assassin unit. The foe-discerning splash is pretty cool too.
I would be tempted to run Cyp for the 150. The stealth flying and chilling touch makes for a great assassin, plus the life drain gives him some staying power. He would even have a use against Q9, since you could tie him up for a round or two while getting the 4th into position. 150 is expensive for a decoy, but at least he has some value when going up against that Vydar pod in a tourny.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:15 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
I would be tempted to run Cyp for the 150. The stealth flying and chilling touch makes for a great assassin, plus the life drain gives him some staying power. He would even have a use against Q9, since you could tie him up for a round or two while getting the 4th into position. 150 is expensive for a decoy, but at least he has some value when going up against that Vydar pod in a tourny.
Cyprien would be great, if you don't run into an soulborg-based armies. Snipers/Trons/Super Q Bros can get away with ignoring him and focusing on taking out all your 2 defense minutemen.

Other than that, yeah, he'd be great.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion