Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old November 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but Queen's Gambit looks like a ton of fun just for all the miniatures and the 3-tiered palace(?) to place some on.
Reaper was very vocal on Star Wars: Epic Duels. He brought it to my house on a game day. We didn't get a chance to play, but he insisted us 'scapers would enjoy playing it.
Both are OOP and expensive to acquire?
I do like BattleBall!
I can attest that Queen's Gambit is a ton of fun. I really with I got it out more often. The problem with getting it out, is that it has a fair amount of setup, and you have to find another 1 or 3 players that are interested in playing a game based on the crappy Phantom Menace movie.
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:56 AM

norseman1066 has disabled reputation
Stratego Legends is pretty good although I've only played it one afternoon (2 Games). I've had the Original Stratego since I was 8 or 9 (Way, way back in '71 or '72) and I thought that Legends was a very interesting change of pace on the original. I currently have 3 MS and both of the pre-made army expansions + about 4 or 6 boosters for each side. I'm looking to maybe trade for the figs I'm missing or buy up any sets that anyone has available. I'm also trying to get my daughter and wife to play as well but mo luck so far. It is something that I'll try and pull out and play at a future CondoCon here in TO. It's a shame it is OOP now.

For my Niece: Misty Lee Jeanveau:
http://www.northernlife.ca/News/Poli...eadon080109003
R.I.P.
Old December 1st, 2006, 01:03 AM

Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby!
Back in the days before HeroScape and Star Wars minis, Epic Duels was da bomb!

Going back to it now is a little hard, but it does have a "battle card" mechanic that is not in those other games that makes it worth a play now and then.

It is interesting that I can see some HS fore-shadowing in BattleBall. The best thing about that game though is the mini's and theme.

I was EyeOfSauron back in the day.
Now I'm Mythic.
Old December 1st, 2006, 01:26 AM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
Now, i really want to try Stratego Legends. What is a good price to pay for it online (like off of ebay)?
Old December 1st, 2006, 02:03 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Do an advanced search on eBay and click the "Completed Listings Only" box. You need to be signed in to do this. It will only return auctions that have been completed (sold or unsold), you can get an idea of what the going rate is.
Old December 1st, 2006, 02:11 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Epic Duels is a fun quick game that has some HS parallels. i like it a lot.

still have not played Queen's Gambit but it is one of Craig's best from what i've heard.

Risk 2210 is ok, but i still prefer the original Risk. year 5 in 2210 drives me crazy! i think i like Star Wars Risk a little better than 2210.
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:57 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ
Epic Duels is a fun quick game that has some HS parallels. i like it a lot.

still have not played Queen's Gambit but it is one of Craig's best from what i've heard.

Risk 2210 is ok, but i still prefer the original Risk. year 5 in 2210 drives me crazy! i think i like Star Wars Risk a little better than 2210.
If you ever get over this way Gary, I will get in on a Queen's Gambit game with you. Otherwise, if you are planning on Gen Con again next year, maybe we can hit up a game of it then
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:05 AM
Arbiter of Peace

Ketch is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
He made Queen's gambit?
That looks pretty.. hokey, and I am the hugest Star Wars fan ever.
Maybe I will give it some consideration next time I go to our hobby store.

I LOVE Risk 2210. It's my favourite Risk.

::Nathan Hoel::
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketch
He made Queen's gambit?
That looks pretty.. hokey, and I am the hugest Star Wars fan ever.
Maybe I will give it some consideration next time I go to our hobby store.

I LOVE Risk 2210. It's my favourite Risk.
I would say that Queen's Gambit is probably the best Star Wars based board game there is. It is the highest rated Star Wars related game on BoardGameGeek.com wit a rating of 7.4, and it is close to the top 100 games at the 130 spot. That is very impressive.

Star Wars CCG is probably the only other game that comes close to being as good as this one.
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:18 AM

I decided I needed to post my review.

Even though I think George Lucas has raped my childhood with almost every decision he has made from the 90s on and this includes the disappointing prequels, especially Episode 1, I still am a sucker for Star Wars and I really liked this game. When I saw it set up at Gen Con with the many bits glistening under the showroom lights, I was already hooked. Gameplay? What is that?

Gameplay- Luckily I was pleasantly surprised to find that this game has great gameplay to match the bits.

One player takes the side of the Trade Federation and one takes the side of the defenders of Naboo. The game can also be played with 4 players in two teams. The goal of the Trade Federation is to destroy all but two of the Naboo player’s characters in the palace. This will ensure that with the two viceroys (which are not able to be destroyed) that the Naboo player will be unable to have a majority in the throne room, which is the requirement for the Naboo player to win.

Play involves drawing a hand of 10 total battle cards, five cards from two decks and choosing four to play each turn. Each card allows you to move and attack with a certain piece or pieces. Some cards also have some other special effect on the game which is stated on them. The four cards you choose are placed in order face down with the card you want to play first on top. Players then go back and forth revealing their battle cards and performing the required action.

The game actually is a loose simulation, as the title predicts, of the Queen’s Gambit, which is her plan that culminates at the end of Episode 1 in the four battles of Naboo. Each battle is important in it’s own right, but the winner will be the player that balances their forces the best and pays attention to the proper battles at the proper times.

There is the battle on the plains between the Gungan forces and the Trade Federation army. Just like in the movie. This battle is mostly a distraction for both players, but you can not completely ignore it, because victories on the plains allow you to draw bonus battle cards for use in your next turn. This can give a player a huge advantage.

The battle of Theed Palace entails trying to get your palace guards, Captain Panaka and the red and purple queen to the throne room while destroying all the battle droids and destroyer droids that stand in your way. One of the queen’s health markers is marked with a symbol of the queen. At the start of the game the Naboo player places that marker on either the red or purple queen’s vitality track, so only the Naboo player knows which queen is the real queen. I tend to neglect this area when I play as Naboo. The Trade Federation player can get a bonus card by killing Panaka, and can halve the palace guard movement by destroying the queen.

In the core the best part of the movie took place. It is also a very exciting part of the game. The epic ligtsaber duel between Maul, Obi and Qui Gon is a very fun and exciting part of the game. I have seen this duel go both ways, but the good guys usually win with one Jedi surviving. The Trade Federation can earn 3 bonus cards for each Jedi destroyed, while Naboo can get 5 cards for destroying Maul. The other bonus when one player achieves victory here is that they are able to then take their Jedi of Sith fighter out of the core and into the palace to help the effort there. This is especially good considering the Jedi and Sith have the ability to split their move and attack in order to engage and dispatch multiple units. They also have a chance to destroy opposing figures when they are defending.

The fourth and final battle is the one that takes place in space above the planet. The Naboo player attempts to destroy the droid control ship by moving Anakin past the droid star fighters. The Trade Federation is trying to prevent this, because if this occurs all droids drop to the ground like scrap metal. This makes it very hard for the Trade Federation player to win, unless Maul has defeated the Jedi. Each time Anakin is activated, he can attempt to pass one star fighter grid.

It seems to me that the forces of good have an advantage, but I have seen the game go both ways. It is vital to get Anakin to the droid control ship as quick as possible to ensure this advantage.

The game allows for a lot of player interaction and decision making. In the end, it does come down to rolling dice, so luck is a major factor. But, a player can influence their luck by choosing the right battles at the right time.

I feel that the gameplay deserves 8 out of 10 lightsabers.

Look and Feel- The look and feel of this game is all sorts of cool. Star Wars theme regardless of which crappy movie it is based on is still cool. The board is massive and the bits are nice and numerous.

The board can be a bit of a pain. The center part is a little tricky to put together, and anytime I try to move units in the palace, my orcish hands about bring the whole thing crumbling down.

The art on the box and board is good as well. All of the sculpts look realistic enough and are made from the rubbery plastic, which I kind of like.

The look and feel of this game earns Queen’s Gambit an 8 out of 10 lightsabers.

Overall Score- 8 lightsabers out of 10

Final word- If you like the Star Wars, or you can at least deal with the theme, you should check this one out. I think it could be enjoyed by people that are not fans of the franchise as well, but I have not gotten the chance to play it with anyone that is not.
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: Other Craig Van Ness Games we like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced
Battleball - I don't know if Craig was the main designer of this one, but he was involved. It is a good light fun game with cool sculpts and components, as well as a very large board.
Haven't played this in a long time, but my little brother and I got it and had fun with it.

Quote:
Risk 2210 AD - I am not a Risk fan, but this one is the most tolerable. If I have to play one, I pick this one.
I love Risk in all shapes and forms, but haven't had the chance to play this one yet. I have Classic, LotR, and Star Wars, and would like to get this one and Godstorm.
Quote:

Star Wars: Epic Duels -
I haven't played this one yet, but I have heard good things, and would like to give it a try.
I love this game. It's quick and fun. I combined each good guy deck with a bad guy deck to make my own. Yoda + Palpatie = win.
Quote:

Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit -
This is a very cool game that simulates the end of the Phantom Menace. I only wish I played it more often. I may have to break it out again soon. This is definitely the best thing to come from Episode 1.
Another game I always wanted to try, but haven't had the opportunity to.

Quote:
Star Wars: Episode 1 Clash of Sabers - This is a really good light card driven lightsaber battle game. It pits Maul vs. Qui Gon in their fateful battle. It is a lot of fun, and the second best thing to come from Episode 1.
Another decent game I've played with my little brother. It's been a long time, but I remember I always got screwed over and mad about it, lol.
Quote:

Stratego Legends -
This was a fun idea, and it is based off of the great classic game Stratego. I would like to pick up some of the expansions for it and play it more sometime. I really don't get it off the shelf often enough.
Used to be a big fan of Stratego, but haven't played in a while and find myself wanting to less and less. Never got into Legends, either.

Quote:
Transformers Armada - I haven't played this one either, but it is supposedly quite a bit like Epic Duels and is pretty fun. I would like to try it out.
Another I haven't played. In fact, I couldn't even tell you what it looked like, lol.

Definitely a bunch of good games. I hope I get to play some while I'm home over the holidays.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Arbiter of Peace

Ketch is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced
Overall Score- 8 lightsabers out of 10
Man, I don't think our store even has it anymore. It was like price chopped like 5 times and there was only one.

Now you got me interested.
I think the fact that it was suggested for 2 players was the main reason I over look it. I have a large group of gaming friends, and always enjoy playing larger games more.

Thanks for the review man.

::Nathan Hoel::

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games