Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old December 9th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Ixe's Custom Units

Titus Mindstrom
A bold power. Messy, but I think you got it right. The figure's value is highly dependent on that Dominate roll. 135 is a pretty high price tag for the stats, but 15 is a rather reasonable number for such a scary power. I would recommend increasing the d20 target and dropping the price. It makes him even more swingy, but it would focus the design around the threat he brings rather than relying on that roll happening.
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:44 AM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
I'm still playing catch up with my other factions so let's press on with my Battle Mage cycle and get in Einar's.

NAME = Titus Mindstrom
SPECIES = Human
CLASS = Battle Mage

DOMINATE 15

After taking a turn with Titus Mindstrom, you may choose an opponent's Squad figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Titus. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 15 or higher, take temporary control of that figure's Army Card (or cards if your opponent has more than one common figure for that card) and immediately take a turn with that Squad. Any figure that is taking its turn must be within 4 clear sight spaces of Titus prior to its movement. At the end of that turn, control of the chosen Squad's Army Card (or cards) returns to its previous owner. All order markers that were on that Squad's Army Card will stay on the Army Card.
I really like the design of Titus. I've been working on a similar power to Dominate and I agree that the mechanics of taking temporary control of squads can be challenging. But I like what you did here with the range limitation to make it work.

Since squad figures should be easier to control would you consider lowering the target number to 13 instead of 15? I think the lower number makes him worth his points.
Old December 10th, 2014, 11:11 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks for commenting, everyone. I'm glad to hear the interest in the design. Before I start hacking at numbers and dialing them up or down, I think I'd like to test this one and get a better feel for what he can do. While the power has some analogues, I don't know about how well he'd function against squads holistically and how fun that would be if he does. Stealing someone's figures may be fun for the person doing it, but if it is decidedly un-fun for the opponent then I may be inclined to dial him back and make him more of a threat than a reliable controller.
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for commenting, everyone. I'm glad to hear the interest in the design. Before I start hacking at numbers and dialing them up or down, I think I'd like to test this one and get a better feel for what he can do. While the power has some analogues, I don't know about how well he'd function against squads holistically and how fun that would be if he does. Stealing someone's figures may be fun for the person doing it, but if it is decidedly un-fun for the opponent then I may be inclined to dial him back and make him more of a threat than a reliable controller.
Sounds good. What point value do you normally play-test at?

Here is my Army idea to go all Einar:

Cathar Spearmen x3 ... 225
Count Raymond ... 315
Titus Mindstrom ... 450

Titus can stay behind the Spearmen and slowly advance. If he gets tied down by melee units and Count Raymond is near he could potentially disengage easier.
Old December 10th, 2014, 04:46 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Good luck with testing this one Ixe. I'd suggest trying to play him against the high cost squads first, to see if his menacing ability is scary at all. If an opponent is using EI, will they focus on the squads or take out Titus?

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old December 11th, 2014, 12:55 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks for the army suggestions. I have been a bit lazy with playtesting my own designs which is a shame since it is such a crucial part of the process. I make sure to do it for units that I'm pushing to a larger audience or designs that particularly intrigue me for how they function (such as the Legion Devils). As such, I think I may add Titus to the list of units to test as well.

I think he could couple rather well alongside the Cathars in mostly that the Cathars themselves are quite good. He'd probably be a frightening customer for the likes of the EI with Arcane Riposte alone since one bad roll can lose so many points.
Old December 11th, 2014, 01:32 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Those latest figures are pretty sweet. Really digging the wolfen chic hero.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the army suggestions. I have been a bit lazy with playtesting my own designs which is a shame since it is such a crucial part of the process. I make sure to do it for units that I'm pushing to a larger audience or designs that particularly intrigue me for how they function (such as the Legion Devils). As such, I think I may add Titus to the list of units to test as well.

I think he could couple rather well alongside the Cathars in mostly that the Cathars themselves are quite good. He'd probably be a frightening customer for the likes of the EI with Arcane Riposte alone since one bad roll can lose so many points.
Hi IXE,
I snuck in a play-test of Titus Mindstrom with some Cathar Spearmen.

Cathar Spearmen x3 ... 225
Count Raymond ... 315
Titus Mindstrom ... 450

I was running some of my customs against him for the play-test.

Lord Alaric ... 100
Sister of Sorrow x4 ... 200
Tomb Skeletons x3 ... 320
Phantom Knights x2 ... 460
--

I fanned out the Cathar Spearmen in the event of a melee rush by the Undead but ultimately the Undead Guards podded up to protect Lord Alaric so he could use his bow.

I moved Titus up to try and use Domination to break up the pod of Tomb Skeletons protecting Alaric. Titus' base attack of 4 was great and he cut through a Skeleton but then rolled a 5 on Domination. Same thing the next OM (rolled a 6) and Arcane Riposte killed a Sister of Sorrow. The Tomb Skeletons were able to use Flanking to reduce Titus' defense to 3 which limited his ability to Counter-Strike. On the next initiative roll, Titus was taken out before he could go again.

Titus' stats are great - especially the 6 Move. That gives him a nice threat range for his Domination. If I could have pulled off the Domination, it would have been very powerful as a I had a full squad of Tomb Skeletons within 4 spaces each time I rolled for the power.

I'd say that Titus was certainly a huge threat, as many d20 based powers can be, but his Arcane Riposte was also a challenge to overcome. When his defense was reduced by Flanking (down to 3) he did take some lumps. When he was down to 2 Life - I was willing to risk ranged strikes from my hero on height which eventually took him down.

If you'd like to keep his stats the same, I'd say his cost is about right. Drop him to 4 Life and I'd say 120-points would be good. He'd be awesome with a Defense Glyph or other Defense boost.

Spoiler Alert!
Old December 15th, 2014, 03:43 PM

iamadoorknob is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Here is a fun and mostly joking idea that I wanted to share. In retrospect, I probably should have posted this on April 1st.

These are the Ninjas from Fenryll Miniatures. They come unpainted in packs of 3 for 10 euros and I have no clue as to their availability.

NAME = Ninjas of the Southern Wind
GENERAL = Einar
PLANET = Earth
SPECIES = Human
CLASS = Ninja
PERSONALITY = Disciplined
SIZE = Medium 4
UNIQUE SQUAD

Life = 1
Move = 6
Range = 1
Attack = 3
Defense = 4
Points = 110

CONSERVATION OF NINJITSU

After revealing an Order Marker on the Ninjas of the Southern Wind, after taking a turn with the Ninjas, for each previously destroyed Ninja of the Southern Wind on this Army Card, take an additional turn with the Ninjas of the Southern Wind. During an additional turn, you may not move or attack with more figures from this Army Card than the number of destroyed Ninjas of the Southern Wind on this Army Card.

Phantom Walk
Ninjas of the Southern Wind can move through all figures and are never attacked when leaving an engagement.

The joke of this card is on Conservation of Ninjitsu, a common trope. The observed phenomenon from media is that one ninja is a huge threat, but 50 ninjas are about the same level of threat. In effect, ninjitsu is conserved and the threats that ninjas pose is relatively constant despite their numbers.

This power takes the trope quite literally and maintains the level of threat (i.e. activations) of the unit until all ninja are destroyed. As much as it is a joke on a common trope, I actually do really like the power and think it could be fun to play around with. I feel that unique squads particularly suffer from loss of figures translating directly and immediately into loss of efficacy while heroes and multiple common squads function completely until they are fully or near fully destroyed.
Ixe,

I really liked this idea and had to make one for my collection. To save costs, I used some extra Krav Maga Agents, with weapons donned from Izumi Samurai and Agent Carr. I haven't gotten a chance to print the card out yet, but I anticipate they will be a favorite with my group.

Old December 16th, 2014, 11:42 AM

@obfuscatedhippo thank you for running a playtest with Titus! I don't think he justifies 120 points on his stats alone when you have someone like Hatamoto Taro sharing that space with him. Sure he has a few advantages, but being down an attack and range is significant. Only getting a single attack of 4 is an uninspiring way to spend your order markers. I think most of it will come down to Dominate, or at least the threat of Dominate, which seemed to be going on in your battle.

@iamadoorknob I'm honored to hear that you took to the Ninjas of the Southern Wind so much. You'll have to let me know how they play on your table. Their card and the figures look great!
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:03 PM

Continuing on with rounding out my generals and the Battle Mage cycle, here is the one for Aquilla.

This is the Dwarf Beguiler from D&D Miniatures - Lords of Madness

NAME = Orenda Tomefell
GENERAL = Aquilla
PLANET = Toril
SPECIES = Gold Dwarf
CLASS = Battle Mage
PERSONALITY = Tricky
SIZE = Medium 4
UNIQUE HERO

LIFE = 5
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 2
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 100

ACID ORB SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 6. Attack 3. Choose a figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by Acid Orb Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.

ARCANE RIPOSTE
When Orenda Tomefell rolls defense dice against a normal attack, all excess shields count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure.

CORROSIVE STRIKE
Figures attacked by Orenda Tomefell's normal attack subtract 2 from their defense dice. Destructible objects cannot roll defense against Orenda's normal attack.

Like the other Battle Mages, Orenda Tomefell is as deadly from range as she is in melee. From afar, she can launch orbs of acid that explode upon impact and spray liquid death to all around. Hand-to-hand, she can instead coat her fists in acid in order to burn past defenses and eat through objects. Lastly, she can use her arcane might to punish all those who dare attack her.

Design-wise, I feel torn over the race. I had assumed that Sharwin was an elf and actually first had Orenda as a dwarf but, upon seeing that Sharwin was instead an Eladrin, I switched Orenda over to the perhaps somewhat more magically inclined Gold Dwarf. I suppose it works within the cycle of non-synergistic battle mages but such an arbitrary and minute distinction does not sit well with me.

Her abilities are all otherwise fairly standard. I wouldn't mind making her orb feel a little more like acid, but I don't want it becoming too cluttered and the acid theme is captured well enough with her Corrosive Strike. She then checks the boxes of having Arcane Riposte and being effective in both ranged and melee. I like the idea of her acid burning through destructible objects at the very least. It mostly means nothing but it is a nice little touch.
Old December 16th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Orenda is a nice unit. I wouldn't be against making her a dwarf simply because the others don't have any notable synergies... Yet. My Chaos Dwarves (Lurb Gultch, and the still in production ones) are all labelled as Dwarf simply because calling them Chaos Dwarves felt wrong. Any units who are truly deserving of an entire new race would get them, the Eladrin being one example (the designers didn't want to make the 9th Elf Wizard another fire-mage and they wanted to keep it D&D).

Corrosive Strike should make her good for fighting the door though!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards