Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old April 5th, 2007, 08:41 AM

TheRealQ has disabled reputation
Scam Alert!

This one almost fooled me so I thought that it was significant enough to warn others. I received an email with the subject line,"Receipt of Your Payment to amazon." I knew I hadn't spent any money lately nor did I have funds to cover any extra expenses. I had to open the letter just to be sure that someone wasn't robbing me and this was what was in the letter:

This email confirms that you have paid Amazon Inc. (amazon.com) $270.00 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL Amazon*".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PayPal Shopping Cart Contents

Item Name: Canon HV10 HV-10 HDV Camcorder w/2-Lens
Quantity: 1

Total: $270.00 USD

Cart Subtotal: $250.00 USD
Shipping Charge: $20.00 USD
Cart Total: $270.00 USD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shipping Information

Shipping Info: *******
United States

Address Status: Unconfirmed

If you haven't authorized this charge, click the link below to cancel the payment and get a full refund.
Dispute Transaction

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team
Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the footer of any page.

When I passed my pointer over their link it looked bogus so I was sure to not click on it. Instead I opened a new window and logged in to my PayPal account. I reviewed all my transactions there and did not find anything out of order.

If you get an email like this one don't even open it. Just log into your PayPal account and check things out for yourself. If everything is in order just delete the mail.

I haven't clicked their link nor to I ever have any intention to so I have no idea what would happen. I feel its best to leave Pandora's Box closed.

Old April 5th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
Thanks for the head up. Does Amazon even accept Paypal?
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Thanks for the information, TheRealQ.

I would report the email to Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...-phishing.html

and to PayPal here:

https://www.paypal.com/ewf/f=pps_spf

These companies have resources that can track down and stop these types of phishing schemes.

Newb.
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I would highly suggest you do not inform PayPal!

The only action PayPal will take is to force you to change your password. I know this as the first time I received one of these phishing emails I recognized what it was right away and reported it. I sent acopy of the email including the header info to PayPal informing them that I did not follow the link. They just forced me to change my password and that was it.

As for warnings, there is a major phishing scam that looks real asking you to change your WesternUnion.com password. the link sends you to vvesterunion.com so if you look quickly you don't notice the two v's.

LESSON: Do not follow any link to a site that is password protected in an email. Open the website in a new window using your own bookmark.

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Interesting, I've never had that problem with PayPal. They just replied with a thank you and information that it was a phishing scheme.

Newb.
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie
Interesting, I've never had that problem with PayPal. They just replied with a thank you and information that it was a phishing scheme.

Newb.
My experience has been identical. I've never had to change anything about my account.

Old April 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Wow, I send PayPal all the pertinent information to catch the offending phishermen stating quite clearly that I did not follow the link in the email and they force me to change my password. The experience left such a vile taste in my mouth, I have not helped with catching phishers since that point.

Old April 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malechi
Wow, I send PayPal all the pertinent information to catch the offending phishermen stating quite clearly that I did not follow the link in the email and they force me to change my password. The experience left such a vile taste in my mouth, I have not helped with catching phishers since that point.
Changing a password left a vile taste in your mouth???
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

No, but being forced to when I was attempting to help PayPal did.

Old April 5th, 2007, 05:03 PM

heroscapewanabchamp has disabled reputation
Wow thanks man thats a major heads up!

If you dont have a ps3........... buy one.
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:26 PM

dickflea Woo who?
Whao! Thanks, really reminds us all to be vigilant.
Old April 5th, 2007, 07:14 PM

Pattar007 has disabled reputation
Thanks for reporting that.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General