Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Thunderstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraine69 View Post
I have looked and looked. Does a hero's strength being reduced to 0 destroy him?
Only if the effect dictates it. I know one of the monsters says this, but as a general rule of thumb, no.
From the Dragonspire rulebook:

Note: If a Hero’s Strength reaches 0 or less at any time during a battle, the Hero is destroyed at the end of the turn!

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have looked and looked. Does a hero's strength being reduced to 0 destroy him?
Only if the effect dictates it. I know one of the monsters says this, but as a general rule of thumb, no.
From the Dragonspire rulebook:

Note: If a Hero’s Strength reaches 0 or less at any time during a battle, the Hero is destroyed at the end of the turn!
This must be a new mechanic...

Also drakkenstrike reviewed Dragonspire with a video review yesterday. The art still looks top notch even w/o Jason Engle doing it all.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; February 3rd, 2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Just checked BGG and yep it's a new mechanic
Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:03 PM

Supergeek knows what's in an order marker Supergeek knows what's in an order marker

I've been looking hard at this one lately due to the solo rules in the Wrath of the Elements expansion and the fact that I've ordered the free promo cards.

I <3 HeroScape tournaments!
Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:16 PM

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergeek View Post
I've been looking hard at this one lately due to the solo rules in the Wrath of the Elements expansion and the fact that I've ordered the free promo cards.
Go for it!. This game has moved to my second favorite behind scape. The art is by far the best art I've seen in ANY game.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:58 PM

Omahavice is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergeek View Post
Go for it!. This game has moved to my second favorite behind scape. The art is by far the best art I've seen in ANY game.
Even though I have only played Thunderstone 2 or 3 times with Matthias, I also ordered the FREE promo cards. I really want to like Thunderstone but so far it just doesnt have the flow and pizazz that Dominion and all of its derivatives have for me. I will admit that the Thunderstone cards have the best art by far. Who knows, a few more games with Matthias and Raider30 and I may become a Thunderstone convert.

I think we all have played those games that we were very luke warm about at first but then they just started to grow on you.

Tournament Record
Good Trades List

DaBoyzRule 5 Time Super Bowl Champions Working on Number 6
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ok, can someone confirm my thinking on this and am I right - reread the rule book but didn't clarify it to me for my own satisfaction.

If I go into the dungeon and lose a battle - do I suffer zero ill effects (other than the battle effects which happen anyway)?

Because this makes it super easy to just bum rush some tough to kill cards out of the way which makes no sense to me.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Ok, can someone confirm my thinking on this and am I right - reread the rule book but didn't clarify it to me for my own satisfaction.

If I go into the dungeon and lose a battle - do I suffer zero ill effects (other than the battle effects which happen anyway)?

Because this makes it super easy to just bum rush some tough to kill cards out of the way which makes no sense to me.
That is the many people's biggest issue with this game. I keep hoping for like a curse card (ala Dominion) to come out for doing that but alas not yet.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:17 PM

Next expansion announced - Thornwood Seige - Summer 2011

http://www.alderac.com/thunderstone/thornwood-siege/

Old March 11th, 2011, 10:03 AM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
That is the many people's biggest issue with this game. I keep hoping for like a curse card (ala Dominion) to come out for doing that but alas not yet.
My girlfriend and I also find this to be an odd mechanic in that you don't suffer any penalties. However, my girlfriend and I never enter the dungeon unless we have a well equipped hand. In fact, we have never lost a battle because we play this way. This also means that one of us is guaranteed to get the Thunderstone.

EDIT: Another idea popped into my head after I submitted... This game is greatly similar to Resident Evil in that you have a mansion deck full of creatures to attack, there's a market for you to purchase items, weapons, and action cards. Also, you choose a character which can level up through experience. Anyway, where I'm going with all this blabbering is that their mechanic to entering the mansion remedies the issue with Thunderstone's dungeon.

The remedy is that monster cards have a damage number on them. If you fail to kill the monster, you subtract the damage from your character's hit points and the monster goes to the bottom of the mansion deck. It would be great if Thunderstone's creatures had a "fail" ability written on the card.

Quote:

I saw this when I ordered Dragonspire which comes in Monday. Still need to try out my other expansions too.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)

Last edited by B:T:L Matt; March 11th, 2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old March 11th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt View Post
Quote:
My girlfriend and I also find this to be an odd mechanic in that you don't suffer any penalties. However, my girlfriend and I never enter the dungeon unless we have a well equipped hand. In fact, we have never lost a battle because we play this way. This also means that one of us is guaranteed to get the Thunderstone.

EDIT: Another idea popped into my head after I submitted... This game is greatly similar to Resident Evil in that you have a mansion deck full of creatures to attack, there's a market for you to purchase items, weapons, and action cards. Also, you choose a character which can level up through experience. Anyway, where I'm going with all this blabbering is that their mechanic to entering the mansion remedies the issue with Thunderstone's dungeon.

The remedy is that monster cards have a damage number on them. If you fail to kill the monster, you subtract the damage from your character's hit points and the monster goes to the bottom of the mansion deck. It would be great if Thunderstone's creatures had a "fail" ability written on the card.

Quote:

I saw this when I ordered Dragonspire which comes in Monday. Still need to try out my other expansions too.
Yeah the only negative thing I can really think of is that you set up the next player a little better perhaps because there are new monsters out.

Old March 16th, 2011, 07:53 AM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

So last night I decided that I would combine all the Thunderstone cards from every set into the Dragonspire box because I know it has the room, and I have the dividers for each deck. Upon doing this, I noticed two things that I thought odd and wanted to see if any thunderstone players had the answers.

First, I noticed that I had a divider from Dragonspire that is labeled as "Dragon - Humanoid" yet I do not have any such cards. Does anyone have these cards? If so, then I am unfortunately missing them.

Second, I noticed that I have two dividers in which one says "Guardian" and the other, "Guardians" yet I only have Doomknight Guardians, and a promo card that say Guardian Doomknight. Does anyone know how to make sense of all this?

As always, all help is greatly appreciated.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The Dragon divider is for a future promo and you will be missing the divider for a hero from the latest promo pack. The Guardians divider is I believe the updated divider for all Guardians, Doomknight Guardians and Guardians-Doomknight. At least that is how I use it.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games