Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old March 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
"A" or "an" preceding "Hasbro?"

I just had occasion to write, in the Battlefields of Valhalla thread, "an Hasbro rule." At first I had written "a Hasbro rule" but that didn't look or sound right to me. What say you? I say "an hymn" and "an hour" and "an historical moment," but I know the usage is slipping away. Do you say, "a hour" or "a honorable mention" or are there still some "an" sounds before "h" and some not? What about 'asbro?
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM
stop starring at my burrito

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker
I am not an expert in english, but this is the rule to the best of my knowledge:

You say "An" when the next word begins with a vowel (or begins with a silent consonant followed by a vowel).

In Hour and Honorable the H is silent.
In Hymn and Historical, the H is not silent, therefore should be a, not an.

As far as I know, the H in Hasbro is not silent...

Edit: Many languages will modify certain "counter" words in order to keep a rhythmic sound when saying the words together. I am currently taking a Japanese class where this happens quite often.

Please keep signatures short.
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:56 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
I am trying to think of a general rule for when the "h" is silent, but I can't think of any set system. Ah, such is the English language. For the record, I say:

a Hasbro
a hymn
an hour
a historical
an honorable
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:57 PM

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooblar
I am trying to think of a general rule for when the "h" is silent, but I can't think of any set system. Ah, such is the English language. For the record, I say:

a Hasbro
a hymn
an hour
a historical
an honorable
It gets really tricky with the word "herb", depending on where you are from.

Old March 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishBurrito
I am not an expert in english, but this is the rule to the best of my knowledge:

You say "An" when the next word begins with a vowel (or begins with a silent consonant followed by a vowel).

Edit: Many languages will modify certain "counter" words in order to keep a rhythmic sound when saying the words together. I am currently taking a Japanese class where this happens quite often.
The problem is that there is no agreement about when the "h" is silent. Is it silent in "honor" or "humble" or "Hasbro"? Maybe all the really knowledgeable people (of whom I am not one) say 'Asbro. Given some of their marketing decisions concerning 'EroScape, I can imagine it, "bro."

There are, also, the ambiguities. By convention "history" and it's variants have taken the "an." "A nunkel" became, about the time of Shakespeare "An uncle." (The same thing happened with "an apkin" becoming "a napkin." English is goofy...and I say that as a former English and Linguistics professor. Our language has not ceased it's lovely changes. So I, in a light spirit, ask the fun questions.
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
... Maybe all the really knowledgeable people (of whom I am not one) say 'Asbro. Given some of their marketing decisions concerning 'EroScape, I can imagine it, "bro." ...
Only those with a Cockney accent Rev ...

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The problem is that there is no agreement about when the "h" is silent. Is it silent in "honor" or "humble" or "Hasbro"? Maybe all the really knowledgeable people (of whom I am not one) say 'Asbro. Given some of their marketing decisions concerning 'EroScape, I can imagine it, "bro."

There are, also, the ambiguities. By convention "history" and it's variants have taken the "an." "A nunkel" became, about the time of Shakespeare "An uncle." (The same thing happened with "an apkin" becoming "a napkin." English is goofy...and I say that as a former English and Linguistics professor. Our language has not ceased it's lovely changes. So I, in a light spirit, ask the fun questions.
Well, at least we are not French, constantly trying to decide if we should pronounce the last half of each word or not...

Old March 19th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Unless you're in a seedy English pub in the middle ages. In which case, the patrons of said pub will have you know that the 'H' in Hasbro is indeed silent.

"Oy! The 'H' is soilent, it 'tis! 'Ere, allows me to use it 'tin a sentence for yas: 'Ello, love! I works fer 'Asbro, I does. Didja see thaht? Clearly soilent, it 'tis!"

:P

Okay, back to work with me...

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:13 PM

This is 'orendous!
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
This is 'orendous!
Bloody 'ell this,is a 'ard one to figure out!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:26 PM

I think we should all agree that the initial "h" in "Hasbro" is silent (like that in "hour" or "honor"). From now on, it is 'Asbro!
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:31 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
I right enjoy messing 'eroscape from 'asbro, it 'as ter be the bloomin' Mae West game ever. It makes me 'appy, and I like ter hang out wiv uvver 'appy 'eroscape players.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General