Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old August 27th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker
Re: 495 point armies

Solely based off the point value and treasure glyphs, I would have to consider the standard Arrow Grut army:

Krug
Mimring
AG x3
SR x4

Or the standard TKN+Stingers:

TKN
Grubs x3
Stingers x3

You could even do a two Dragon build with Greenscales like dragonmaster or whatever:

Nilfheim
Zelrig
GW x2

Here's a classic Roman build:

Romans x3
10th x2
Marcus
Ne-Gok-Sa

I keep trying to come up with a good Firestorm (because the 5 pt thing), but I can't figure out what to do with the last 60/95/130 pts:

Kurrok
FE x9
Air Elemental x2

Last edited by Frylock; August 27th, 2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:04 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post

Kurrok
FE x9
Air Elemental x2
I'm thinking that NHSD might be the first time that a lot of people try out Kurrok, since they've had the Elementals for so long and have been waiting to get their hands on him. That's why I'm considering adding the AE to my Spider army if I play it, as the Firestorm would completely wreck it and at least I have a shot to take Kurrok out with the AE.

It's also another reason I like the Brunak/Raelin/10th build as I feel like it's pretty strong against Firestorm with lava resistant Brunak and the 10th who really excel against melee.

I won't play Firestorm, but I am kicking around a mixed Elemental build:

Kurrok - 120
Water x4 - 240
Fire x3 - 345
Earth x2 - 415
Raelin - 495

or

Kurrok - 120
Water x6 - 300
Air x3 - 390
Earth/Fire x3 - 495

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 27th, 2010, 04:34 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

DnD army-

Mika
Heirloom
Rhogar
Feral Troll x2

I am considering playing this army, it is really fun and Heriloom+ Mika+Rhogar work good together plus there is a bunch of treasure glyphs and shadow.
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:01 PM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex worker View Post
DnD army-

Mika
Heirloom
Rhogar
Feral Troll x2

I am considering playing this army, it is really fun and Heriloom+ Mika+Rhogar work good together plus there is a bunch of treasure glyphs and shadow.
If you're trying to win, I'd really advise against playing that. I know its nice to grab Treasure glyphs with all of these heroes, but I think you're going to be very upset that you can only attack once per turn

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:11 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex worker View Post
DnD army-

Mika
Heirloom
Rhogar
Feral Troll x2

If you're trying to win, I'd really advise against playing that. I know its nice to grab Treasure glyphs with all of these heroes, but I think you're going to be very upset that you can only attack once per turn
Yeah, I know, I'm not dumb! I am not playing that. I did just play it against a rat and Q9 podge and I only lost Rhogar and a Feral Troll, though.
Old August 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

The firestorm is helped quite a bit by Deathreavers, to clog up ranged squads and/or to protect Kurrok:

10 Isamu
80 Deathreavers x2
120 Kurrok
280 Fire Elemental x8
490, 18 hexes

If you really want to go treasure-hunting, I think it's tough to beat an Ornak/Vampire build for combination of collection speed and effectiveness using the treasure:

50 Marro Warriors
10 Isamu
20 Marcu Esenwein
45 Sonya Esenwein
150 Cyprien Esenwein
120 Fen Hydra
100 Ornak
495, 11 hexes

That's hodgepodgey as heck, but it could work with small maps and strong treasures. Of course, there's lots of alternatives after Cyprien, Marcu, and Ornak.

The other good treasure options are bonding armies. TKN is sick-nasty with glyphs, and 185 points after TKN+grubsx3 leaves many obvious (and effective) options. Charos also benefits enormously from treasure glyphs, so a Greenroller (+Raelin +Marcu) makes a lot of sense unless you think you're going to see rats.
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:10 PM

I was just trying to put a Dwarf army together, but I really don't like any of the options I came up with quickly. I was trying to include Mogrimm, though.

Vipers at 495?

Venoc Warlord - 120
Armoc Vipers x3 - 315
Venoc Vipers x3 - 435
Zetacron - 495, 20 hexes

Oh yeah, and this one:

Sir Gilbert - 105
Alastair Macdirk or Thorgrim/Eldgrim - 215
Knights of Weston x4 - 495, 18 hexes

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sujoah 185
Wyvern 100
Spiders x3 120
Estivara 80
Isamu 10
Total 495

~Rednax
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:14 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

Bumping this thread due to NCAA football season inspirations:

Crimson Tide
3 x 10th Foot
6 x Red Wyrmling
Raelin
Isamu
495 points

Alternatively you can experiment with Black Wyrmlings in place of the Red Wyrmlings or even try a combo Red Wyrmling/Black Wyrmling + White Wyrmling x2. I think this army would be a blast to play, have some psuedo ability to compete, and require many interesting decisions.

Grenade lobbyist

Last edited by MattserTruckRally; September 14th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:12 PM

I've been watching the Texes guys throw around armies for their tournament and decided to try and revive this one...

My current front-runners (again, which means I probably won't play any of them):

Heirloom - 90
Raelin - 170
Krav Mage - 270
10th Regiment x3 - 495, 17 hexes

I've actually playtested this one a couple of times with mixed results. Not sure it really fits my style, though I do enjoy playing the 10th.

Fen Hydra - 120
Raelin SotM - 240
Goblin Cutters x5 - 490, 23 hexes

Something about this one getting Raelin SotM into an army really intrigues me. I'm scared though, since the Treasure glyphs might bring out a bunch of Special-Attacking baddies that the Goblins really don't like. Of course, I could always just go Hydra x2 instead of Raelin and count on my 2 Hydras to wipe out any big heroes. Or, I could do something like this:

Iron Golem - 100
Zetacron - 160
Raelin - 240
Goblin Cutters x5 - 490, 25 hexes (sit a Goblin)

The Iron Golem was made to kill the heroes that the Goblins don't like and, if he fails, Zetacron can try and clean up after him. This one uses cheesy Raelin, though, so it doesn't seem as fun.

I guess if I really decide that I'm too scared of Special Attacks to play Cutters, these builds work with Dividers, too.

Something with Wyvern/Spiders/Estivara is a front-runner, too, but I can't find a build at this point total that I really like.

Apart from those 3, I've thought about a few more:

Cyprien - 150
Sonya - 195
Anubian Wolves x4 - 495, 14 hexes

Cyprien is sick with Treasure Glyphs and the Wolves are good against heroes that like to collect Treasure. The only problem is that Stingers x5 is probably better and I'm not playing that crap.

Mogrimm - 120
Theracus - 160
Dwarves x4 - 440
Marro Warriors - 490, 23 hexes

Theracus is there to allow you to use either the 6 movement of the Dwarves early to gain map control and catch Mogrimm up quickly, or to bomb Mogrimm off the bat (or fly him to a Treasure glyph) and follow up with Dwarves.

Drop off a dwarf with Theracus and get a head start with the Dwarves.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I always play the 10th - and thats because I like them. So I am pretty sure I am having this core:

4th x 4 = 300
Raelin = 80

Leaves me 115 left. A bunch of 110 point options to go with, but here is my top so far:
Rhogar Dragonspine = even though Raelin is my only other Hero - it makes you think twice before attacking Raelin if she can just get healed and having Rhogar will probably keep Raelin alive longer even if I never heal her just because people will try to take down Rhogar first.
Ninjas of the Northern Wind = makes me squad heavy but the ninjas are underrated as they can have three attacks (at first) and are hard to take down (unless you have a special).
Mika Connour = Mostly to try something new, but she can get 7 attack if you play her right which is nice against Q9 and dragons.
Iron Golem + Isamu = Damn near hard to kill figures to p!ss everyone off.
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:23 PM

I've actually been thinking about a 4x Cutter army now....

Cyprien - 150
Sonya - 195
Iron Golem - 295
Cutters x4 - 495, 20 hexes

I feel like this is the most well-balanced Cutter army I can come up with, and it's also the best as using the treasure. Cyprien is nasty against Deathreavers and Dragons, the Iron Golem is great against the Majors that both Cyprien and the Cutters don't like, and once the heroes are out of the game I like the Cutters' chances to clean up.

I'll be playtesting this tomorrow, probably against the Zamboni, which I'd think is a touch matchup - we'll see.

My best Spider army so far....

Wyvern - 100
Estivara - 180
Spiders x3 - 300
Cyprien - 450
Sonya - 495, 14 hexes

495 is just a tough point total for Spiders, unless I go Wyvern x2/Estivara/Spiders x5/Isamu I guess, but I just don't feel like I like it.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion