Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old May 9th, 2017, 12:26 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
deleted

deleted

Last edited by TREX; August 2nd, 2021 at 05:39 AM.
Old May 9th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Hexless/gridless Heroscape

Cool, nice start TREX.

I'm at work and can't spend much time, so I'll have to pop in later on.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 9th, 2017, 12:50 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Cool, nice start TREX.

I'm at work and can't spend much time, so I'll have to pop in later on.
Thanks, having terrain built cool looking without worrying about if it "fits" takes so much time out of it and just leaves you to make more cool stuff. Not to mention how much more natural the game board looks. My minds just been going crazy with how much you could effortlessly do after looking at your frostgrave stuff like its heroscape terrain.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:01 PM
"like" happy

I added a couple more FAQ type adjustments for Height advantage and ladder movement to the OP just to make it a little more clear.

Old May 9th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Nice.
I have considered this before and may try it for a city battle someday as square buildings and hexes do not play nice.

We did this for Battletech back in late 80s through the 90s and it worked fairly well. We ended up doubling movement and range, so 1 hex = 2 inches. This made for faster games and bigger maps where we could fit more Mechs.

One tournament I played in, they had rigged up a periscope that fit over the top of a Mech and when you looked through it, you have your LoS.

One weird thing that occurred was with trees which functioned much like Jungle Trees in giving defense. In Battletech, the woods were an individual hex you could enter. This became a little weird without hexes as you could get multiple Mechs around the trees but not truly in them, so who gets the bonus. Not a problem for Heroscape Jungle Trees, which is nice.

The main thing is having a hard rule for each figure about where you measure from and to and how that relates to movement. I is really easy to fudge an inch here or there intentionally or not. I had considered pre-cutting strings for movement and range but that feels like it may be a hassle but may have some merit.

Been a long time since I played open map.
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:21 PM
"like" happy

Thanks @Tornado , I was contemplating a little dowel rod/stick with 1 inch measurements. The reason I went with 1 inch= 1 space is they are roughly the same length as a hex is close to 1 inch in measurement. This also keeps it simple for people to remember. 1 inch regular movement/attack range per space, and 2 move spaces for 1 inch for going up terrain. I'm super excited to get to try it out. I'm even more excited to get to try new terrain types to use. Such as gridless DND terrain tutorials from the DM Craft.

Heres a link for his awesome terrain including grid and gridless. Oh the possibilities.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF-...yV6N3xi5z1TElg

Old May 9th, 2017, 01:27 PM
"like" happy

Good point about measuring from one figure to another for attacks. I forgot to add it in there. I would use going from one figure base to anothers. I'll add it to the op.

EDIT: I also thought of making up a handful of predetermined lengths of measuring sticks for move and or range along with a full length 12 inch one.
5in for 5 move and 5 range figures.
6in for 6 move and 6 range figures.
and so on.

Old May 9th, 2017, 03:32 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I like the sticks idea!

For movement you just have to make it clear that when moving you place the spot on the base you measured on (say the front of the mini's base) on the final location of movement (when moving fully). In our games people would measure from the front of the base and then place on the back of the base, thus gaining the base's size in movement.

I thought full hexes like water hexes were 1 3/4". I think you will convert to the dark side and go 2 inches to 1 hex.
Old May 9th, 2017, 03:55 PM
"like" happy

I may go to 2 inches per 1 hex. I need to do some measuring but I think your right. I havent got to try it yet. Though the idea seems super solid and simple. Id also make figures on peanut bases lead with one edge and not go past their move number in inches. Thats why I wanted to discuss it. Great suggestions.

Old May 9th, 2017, 04:13 PM

I really enjoy working on game mechanics and I having been gearing up to work on terrain for awhile, so this is all fun to me.
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:21 PM
"like" happy

Ive just been so restricted in how cool I could make terrain. This will be awesome. Im thinking ill have to try out frostgrave as well.

Old May 9th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Thanks @Tornado , I was contemplating a little dowel rod/stick with 1 inch measurements. The reason I went with 1 inch= 1 space is they are roughly the same length as a hex is close to 1 inch in measurement. This also keeps it simple for people to remember. 1 inch regular movement/attack range per space, and 2 move spaces for 1 inch for going up terrain. I'm super excited to get to try it out. I'm even more excited to get to try new terrain types to use. Such as gridless DND terrain tutorials from the DM Craft.

Heres a link for his awesome terrain including grid and gridless. Oh the possibilities.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF-...yV6N3xi5z1TElg

Love your idea, but those of us in the rest of the world would likely use 3 cm.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions