Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old March 4th, 2014, 01:36 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun
Does Music Affect Who You Are?

First off, admins, if this is better suited for the media forum, then by all means, feel free to move it there.

So the title says it all, does the music you listen to affect who you are?

An example -- does listening to Eminem have you tend towards more violent behavior, or perhaps a larger inclination towards swearing? Does the music you listen to affect who you are, or perhaps your moral values?

I, personally, feel that my music does not affect me as a person, I listen to it because I like the sound, and every now and again, a song may open my eyes to certain things (e.g. sympathy for certain causes or certain people).

But I don't think it affects your reaction and attitude as a person. My most solid reason for belief in this is myself, because, I may listen to music from Eminem, or Maroon 5, but the messages in their songs don't (usually,depending on what they are singing about) stick to me. As a matter a fact, a lot of entertainers admit that what they are singing about isn't always meant to be taken literally, as what they believe, or necessarily want.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Especially from you parents, how do you feel about your kids listening to dirty music, or about violence, or divorces .etc?

~JS, just curious to what a lot of people out there think
Old March 5th, 2014, 01:27 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Re: Does Music Affect Who You Are?

Just recently I tried a simple experiment with a sample size of me. I decided to smile on my roughly half hour commute. Not a big smile, mind you. Just about like what you see on the Mona Lisa. It had a pretty interesting effect on my mood, and how I reacted to other drivers. What would have prompted me to get irate and swear at other drivers the day before made me laugh that day. That was all reasonable based on the hypothesis that smiling makes you feel better. The thing that really surprised me was that I couldn't listen to certain music. Stuff that was more aggressive, for example. And these were songs that I liked. It wasn't a case of trying to listen to something outside of my wheelhouse.

That being said, I don't really think that music affects who you are per se. I do think that it can affect how you think, and over time that can change who you are.

Where it really gets interesting/complicated is that I think that it has a reinforcing effect on how we think and feel, or how we want to think and feel. How many of us have a song or set of songs we like to listen to when we are happy, sad, angry, or any other emotional state under the sun? I think for the most part, music is a part of a subconscious, self-administered, self-hypnosis regime. I think it is much more a case of subconsciously wanting to feel a certain way, selecting music to serve as a suitable soundtrack, and letting the program work. Lather, rinse, repeat, and over time the effect could be a change in who we are.

Beyond that, I think passively listening and changing is less likely because of how differently we can interpret the same piece of music. I remember some religious friends who were listening to a song that was pretty peppy and they were kind of dancing and bobbing their heads to the rhythm. I don't think they picked up what the lyrics were saying at all. My interpretation at the time was it was about getting loaded and masturbating. In the context of the group, they thought it was a fun song, I thought it was horrible. Without knowing the lyrical meaning, it isn't going to make anyone do drugs. Knowing the meaning might have been enough of a reason for that group to stop listening to the song altogether.
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:48 AM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't think that music changes who you truly are. I do strongly believe that listening to your favorite music can temporarily make your mood better, and maybe even make you a happier person in the long run.

I agree with Agent Minivann, some songs sound really cool, and sometimes it doesn't matter whether or not you know the lyrics or meaning behind them. I've heard the macarana (sp?) is a song about a prostitute or something like that, but I sure love doing the dance, and it's a catchy beat. I used to listen to it while playing Halo 2, loved it.

This may also be just me, but I tend to make a sort of "snap decision" of people, based on music they listen to. I think that the music you listen to may affect how others perceive you (unless you're alone, lol!) I've always hated metal, and I generally find that I get this sort of negative image in my head when someone is listening to/says they like listening to metal. On the other hand, I tend to look more positively upon someone that listens to classic rock, because it's my favorite music.
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Similar to Agent Mini, I think of music as a feedback cycle. To the extent we connect with music, I think we allow the music to subtly shape us. And as a form of art, it will tend to affect different people differently.

For example I don't listen to much rap music, but two of Eminem's songs have resonated with me - "Lose yourself" and "Love the way you lie". Whenever I want to reinforce a "Carpe Diem" (seize the day) attitude in myself I put on Lose yourself. It has little to say to me about growing up poor or only having a single chance. For me it is about maximizing opportunity. "Love the way you lie" makes me weep. It reminds me that people are suffering and don't know a way out of their cycles of addiction and that I need to do more in my community to be a resource to them. It doesn't connect with anything I've ever felt relationship-wise.

One of my favorite groups is Icon for Hire. They have a song on their latest album where the lead singer talks about how parents are convinced that the lyrics of music contain demons and drugs and rock & roll thugs so they want to destroy the music their kids are listening to. I think that's backwards. Kids are going to be attracted to music that satisfies their feedback loop. So if a kid is listening to music that a parent thinks is horrific, there's something there worth taking the time to understand.

Parents can't monitor their kids constantly - and they shouldn't even want to try. The goal is to raise kids you trust - and then to let them screw up and hide it from you (just like you did with your parents), knowing that they're good kids and you've done your part of the job and you can trust them to figure out their part.

~Aldin, who thinks general is a great place for this

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 5th, 2014, 10:09 AM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
I've always hated metal, and I generally find that I get this sort of negative image in my head when someone is listening to/says they like listening to metal. On the other hand, I tend to look more positively upon someone that listens to classic rock, because it's my favorite music.
What about symphonic metal (sorry to derail this thread). Brandonwiker? It doesn't necessarily have screaming and I think it always sounds nice. If you ever want to try it there here is some bands that don't have screaming (at least not that I have heard): Nightwish (recommended songs: Nemo, Amaranth [Watch the music video for this one!], the Islander, Fantasmic, Wishmaster), the Black Mages (who do Final Fantasy theme music), Kamelot (Across the Highlands, Wings of Despair), and Within Temptation (Our Solemn Hour and Ice Queen are all I can think of right now).

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist

Last edited by Heroscaper Guy; March 5th, 2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:12 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscaper Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
I've always hated metal, and I generally find that I get this sort of negative image in my head when someone is listening to/says they like listening to metal. On the other hand, I tend to look more positively upon someone that listens to classic rock, because it's my favorite music.
What about symphonic metal (sorry to derail this thread). Brandonwiker? It doesn't necessarily have screaming and I think it always sounds nice. If you ever want to try it there here is some bands that don't have screaming (at least not that I have heard): Nightwish (recommended songs: Nemo, Amaranth [Watch the music video for this one!], the Islander, Fantasmic, Wishmaster), the Black Mages (who do Final Fantasy theme music), Kamelot (Across the Highlands, Wings of Despair), and Within Temptation (Our Solemn Hour and Ice Queen are all I can think of right now).
Hey, I don't hate ALL metal, just most of it, in general. Never heard of the groups you mentioned. I like a few songs from metallica, white snake, stryper(sp?) and a few random others.

Trying to add a little to the thread, I remember back in my teen years, my mother hated that I listened to groups like Rush, Tom Petty, Boston(I can almost play all of the lead guitar parts of their first album!) Aerosmith, Van Halen, etc. and she always thought they were all about love and drugs. Don't disagree much there, but it didn't influence me. I have never touched tobacco products or drugs. Only had alcohol once, at my wedding, tried one glass of wine and hated it. Plus, I was a virgin until the day I got married, so I definitely don't think the music influenced me.

I suppose music only has as much influence as a person allows it to have on them.
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:09 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Doesn't Everything?

If by affect you mean have some influence on me than most certainly. If by affect you mean change significant portions of my being not really. I listen to a very eclectic range of music and I will often find myself going on binges of certain music (80s, symphonic metal, Disney, songs by one artist) just because. At other times, I'll listen to songs that amplify my current mood. Music like any other creative medium allows me to experience things in a way that is both enjoyable and potentially opens me up to something I hadn't quite experienced or felt (or allows me to empathize with something someone else experienced or felt).

As an unmarried adult without kids, I don't think I've made up my mind on the music area. I honestly just hope that myself and my future kids will be able to discuss the deeper issues over a flat out ban because I said so. (although I'll admit I'm living in happy idyllic land and so I could be very off on how the actual dynamics go down)

In summary, I think music is like movies, books, art, or any other medium in that it can affect you but doesn't necessarily "change" you.

~Dysole, jumping all over the place
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:47 PM

Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney View Post
Hmm... That's a vague question. This should be fun.

Quote:
An example -- does listening to Eminem have you tend towards more violent behavior, or perhaps a larger inclination towards swearing? Does the music you listen to affect who you are, or perhaps your moral values?
Now, let me start by saying that I am a Christian and don't listen to much secular music. Admittedly, I don't listen to much music with lyrics, either. Most of what I listen to are video game soundtracks. But I have found, in my experience, that if I listen to music with swearing, (or watch too many Vines lol), I will catch myself about to swear. Now I can't speak for everyone, but I believe that the principle of GIGO, (Garbage in, Garbage out), is true. Please don't think that I'm busting on any particular kind of music, I'm not nearly knowledgeable in music to judge any genre, with its different facets and branches.
Now I know that not all of here agree on who Jesus was, but could we agree that the following quote is a pretty wise saying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.
I think that this is pretty conventional wisdom and doesn't need further explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney
I, personally, feel that my music does not affect me as a person, I listen to it because I like the sound, and every now and again, a song may open my eyes to certain things (e.g. sympathy for certain causes or certain people).
I'll address whether music affects you or not in a second, but I want to say that I agree, music is a great medium for raising awareness and stuff like that.

Quote:
But I don't think it affects your reaction and attitude as a person. My most solid reason for belief in this is myself, because, I may listen to music from Eminem, or Maroon 5, but the messages in their songs don't (usually,depending on what they are singing about) stick to me. As a matter a fact, a lot of entertainers admit that what they are singing about isn't always meant to be taken literally, as what they believe, or necessarily want.
Hmm... This is where I will disagree with you. If you are exposed to something enough times, you are desensitized to it. This goes for any medium: Film, video games, etc. For example, there is a Christian song that we used in a presentation at my church that 'correctly' used the word d--n. The first time I realized it, I was shocked. After watching them do the performance several times, I wasn't fazed by it anymore.
As for your attitude... Heh, I've used music to get me out of a bad mood or get me energized more times than I can count. Conversely, I've used music to calm me down after someone reeeeally ticked me off. Music is also used to set the mood in video games and movies, which seems to indicate to me that it can affect your attitude, at least.

Quote:
Anyway, what do you guys think? Especially from you parents, how do you feel about your kids listening to dirty music, or about violence, or divorces .etc?
Well, I'm not a parent, but I think that when I have to make those decisions, a lot of the deciding factor will be their maturity level. When they're 6 or 7, I'm probably not going to let them listen to explicit music. When they're older and more mature, I'll probably be more lenient. Case in point, in a Bible Study I attended last week, the guy who was leading the discussion played a song that had a very powerful message behind it. The F-bomb was dropped in the middle of the song. I don't think it was necessary, but no one in the room went nuts because of it.

So what do I think? I think that you should be careful what you listen to, and more importantly how much of it you listen to, because I believe that music is one of the most powerful forms of communication in the world. It's able to put us on edge in a horror movie, get the adrenalin pumping when we fight a boss battle, or let us know something bad's gonna happen in a game 'cause the music suddenly cut. It can convey ideas, hopes, and dreams, whether religious or otherwise, and connect us to people around the world through a verse, a chorus, or an awesome riff.

Thanks for the interesting topic!

Last edited by Sir Yeshua; March 5th, 2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: And I was deliberately trying to avoid going 'churchy' on you. lol
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:19 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

@Agent Minivan
I must agree, despite how I said it earlier, music can affect your emotion or mood. But I meant more to the extent of who you are from a day-to-day perspective.

Quote:
My interpretation at the time was it was about getting loaded and masturbating.
I'm Christian, and I understand what I'm listening to (stuff like that). But my thought process is to be like Brandonwiker, and despite what I hear, to continue to be a virgin and stay a way from drugs and alcohol.

@Brandonwiker
I used to judge people based on there music also, but then realized that the music I listen to doesn't reflect me all that much, and that I can't judge people based on that.

@Aldin
Seems reasonable.

Quote:
One of my favorite groups is Icon for Hire. They have a song on their latest album where the lead singer talks about how parents are convinced that the lyrics of music contain demons and drugs and rock & roll thugs so they want to destroy the music their kids are listening to. I think that's backwards. Kids are going to be attracted to music that satisfies their feedback loop.
So you don't feel that parents are trying to destroy the music their kids are listening to?

Quote:
So if a kid is listening to music that a parent thinks is horrific, there's something there worth taking the time to understand.
Could you elaborate on this one a little please? I need things dumbed-down for me.

Are you saying that the adult needs to understand why the kid likes it? Or that the kid needs to see why the adult doesn't like it?

@Dysole
Quote:
I honestly just hope that myself and my future kids will be able to discuss the deeper issues over a flat out ban because I said so.
So by this do you mean banning certain music? Or more along the lines of "No sex until you're married, no drugs, no alcohol..."?

@Sir Yeshua
Got to go now, but I'll respond to you tomorrow.

~JS
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:32 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Yes

Quote:
@Dysole
Quote:
I honestly just hope that myself and my future kids will be able to discuss the deeper issues over a flat out ban because I said so.
So by this do you mean banning certain music? Or more along the lines of "No sex until you're married, no drugs, no alcohol..."?
Yes. Either/or. I would prefer not to have the flat ban but I would not rule out a flat ban as long as I could reasonably explain why there was a flat ban. Do I make sense?

~Dysole, clarifying
Old March 5th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
@Aldin
Seems reasonable.

Quote:
One of my favorite groups is Icon for Hire. They have a song on their latest album where the lead singer talks about how parents are convinced that the lyrics of music contain demons and drugs and rock & roll thugs so they want to destroy the music their kids are listening to. I think that's backwards. Kids are going to be attracted to music that satisfies their feedback loop.
So you don't feel that parents are trying to destroy the music their kids are listening to?
Erk, erm, not what I meant at all, but I can see how it could be interpreted that way. I think it's backwards because I think parents that want to dump their kids' music are incorrectly identifying the music as the SOURCE instead of the SYMPTOM. I think that's backwards, that our choice of music always reflects something about who we are as people.

Quote:
Quote:
So if a kid is listening to music that a parent thinks is horrific, there's something there worth taking the time to understand.
Could you elaborate on this one a little please? I need things dumbed-down for me.

Are you saying that the adult needs to understand why the kid likes it? Or that the kid needs to see why the adult doesn't like it?
Continuing from above, that means that if a parent is unhappy with their child's choice of music that they need to understand, at least in broad terms, why their child is listening to it. I think it's a great opportunity for a conversation. "Hey Johnny, what is it about this song that you like?" Mind you, if your kid thinks you have ulterior motives - like you're just looking for a chance to be critical - you're doomed. So the parent has to genuinely want to understand.

I'm saying this poorly and I'm not sure how to be more clear.

Okay, when I was a teen I really LOVED the song "Push It" by Salt-N-Pepa. Had my conservative Christian parents known, I rather suspect they would have been concerned about my sexual activity. But... I liked the song because the electronic keyboard sounded so good to me. I never really thought about the lyrics, in fact, while I'd hum the keyboard piece I never sang snippets of the lyrics.

So turn that around. Now I'm the parent and my son loves... say... Rap God by Eminem. Why? See, it'd be easy to look at the explicit, misogynistic, homophobic and offensive lyrics and want to think a) that there's a problem and b) the problem is the song. But I have no idea WHY he loves the song unless I ask.

Maybe he saw the video and loves Max Headroom and thinks the video is awesome. Maybe he's really impressed by the skill displayed. Maybe it's popular with his social group and he wants to fit in. Maybe there's a line or a comment or a riff that appeals to his artistic sense. Perhaps he sees Eminem as a reminder of how easily we can go wrong when we prioritize ourselves and get all narcissistic and Rap God reminds him of that. Maybe he's struggling with feelings of misogyny or homophobia. Maybe he feels like he is never allowed to express how he really feels and he revels in music that reflects no filter on expression. How could I ever know unless I ask?

Depending on the answer, there are a lot of different conversations we can have, but in any case the issue is not the song and there may or may not even be a "problem". If I don't like the song, deleting it off his iPod and metaphorically throwing it out in the trash doesn't do anything but drive a wedge between us and prove to him that I just don't understand - because I didn't even try.

~Aldin, in loco parentally

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 6th, 2014, 08:42 AM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
First off, admins, if this is better suited for the media forum, then by all means, feel free to move it there.

~JS, just curious to what a lot of people out there think
Nice topic. And yes, music most certainly affects us. I generally listen to older Christian rock music, like Petra and Newsboys. Also love Michael Card. I listen to secular tunes to, though.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General