Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old May 6th, 2013, 06:29 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!
War for Valhalla

The War for Valhalla!

Welcome to Valhalla: Land of a million worlds, a million warriors, a million races, a million stories. Most of us here are extremely familiar with the lore of Valhalla. The valiant Jandar, the horrific Utgar, vying for control of the Wellsprings, and with them the power to summon vast armies of unimaginable power.

What I am devising here is a new way to play HeroScape. I have been kicking around ideas for a while, as many others have been, and I have finally roughly hewn out what could become a very flexible, tangible, interesting, and fun rule system.

We all know what it's like to be a commander on the field of battle in Valhalla; leading individual legions and armies to victory. But what would it be like to be Jandar himself, and lead all the legions of his armies?

The answer is this:
The War for Valhalla has just begun, Valkyrie. Your soldiers await you.

The War for Valhalla is its own game, much like Risk or, for those of you familiar with Star Wars Battlefront, Galactic Conquest, and is meant for two players. It's individual battles are settled through games of HeroScape. The board is the Map of Valhalla. It is divided into several territories.

Each player chooses a general to play as, typically Utgar and Jandar. The other 3 major generals (I omit the others for now as I don't have an extensive collection of the add-ons), Ullar, Einar, and Vydar, are neutral. Each General has a Home Territory. The objective of this game is to capture the opposing General's Home Territory, or Homeland. You may enlist the help of the three Neutral generals by capturing their homeland as well.

The game begins, Utgar starting in Braunglayde, his Homeland, and Jandar starting in Nastralund, his Homeland.

Each Territory contains one wellspring. This wellspring contains the power to summon armies. Each turn you take is divided into three phases: The first, Summoning, the second, Moving, and the third, Attacking.

TURNS: PHASE ONE: SUMMONING

In the Summoning turn, you may summon one of three types of armies:

1) Scouting Party, costing 200 summoning points
2) Strike Team, costing 400 summoning points
3) Legion, costing 600 summoning points.

Your Homeland generates 200 Summoning Points (SP's for short) per turn. All other territories' wellsprings generate 100 SP per turn. In the Summoning phase, you may summon any of the three types of armies listed above, as long as you have the SP. Example:

I control the Homeland (200 SP) and 3 other territories (300 SP). I have 500 SP total. I may summon up to 500 SP worth of armies. Therefore, I may draft up to 2 Scouting Parties (400 SP total) or one Strike Team (400 SP total). Each Army will be represented by its own token or marker. I may place this token on any Territory I control to represent the army's presence there. I may have any number of tokens on a single territory.

Notice that I have 100 leftover points that I cannot use to summon additional armies. These 100 points do not carry over to my next turn, and if on my next turn I still control the Homeland and 3 other Territories, a total of 500 SP, I cannot add the leftover 100 SP to the points of my next turn. Therefore, on my next turn, I still only have 500 SP.

TURNS: PHASE TWO: MOVEMENT

Now, after I have summoned my new armies, I may move any one army I control from any territory I control to any other adjacent territory. I may move one Scouting Party, Strike Team, or Legion, but no more. Before moving, I may combine armies I control that are on the same territory into a larger army (E.G. Two Scouting Parties into a Strike Team, a Strike Team and a Scouting Party into a Legion, three Strike Teams into two Legions, etc).

If I have moved my army into an unoccupied territory, I now control that territory and its Wellspring. Now I have my Homeland (200 SP) and four Territories (400 SP) and may summon a total of 600 SP worth of armies on my next turn.

NOTE: If you do not have an army on a territory, it is unoccupied, and you do not control it. If your army moves off of a territory, and you have no other army there, you NO LONGER CONTROL IT. You may abandon territories and leave them unoccupied.

If I moved my army into a neutral generals territory, I now have an alliance with that General. I now control the Territory, the Wellspring, and the General's forces.

If I moved my army into my opponent's Territory, battle ensues!

TURNS: PHASE THREE: ATTACKING

This is where the actual HeroScape game takes place. If you moved your Army into an opponent's territory, the Attacking turn phase kicks in.

SETUP:
Build a HeroScape map that represents the territory (MORE RULES ON SPECIFIC TERRITORIES AND MAPS COMING SOON). For example, if the territory is the Volcarren Wasteland, build the map outlined in the Volcarren Wasteland rulebook, or substitute a tournament map involving lava agreed upon by you and your opponent BEFORE you began to play the War for Valhalla.

Now, draft an army equal to the number of SP the army you are attacking with is worth of units from your faction (Jandar, Utgar, etc) You may also draft armies of units belonging to an allied General. However, two separate General's forces may NOT be included into the SAME army. Your opponent drafts an army equal to the number of SP of armies they have defending the territory.

NOTE: If you have multiple armies on a territory (example: one Legion and one Scouting Party) you cannot combine their points into one single army! They are to be drafted as two separate armies. This means you draft one 600-point army (the Legion) and one 200-point army (the Scouting Party). Keep in mind, since these are two separate armies, you may draft units of multiple Generals you may have allied to you (Draft a Legion of Jandar and a Scouting Party of Ullar).

You may not draft a Unique Hero that has been destroyed in a previous game in your War for Valhalla campaign, or any Unique squad that has had All of its members destroyed (If two of my three Agents are destroyed in battle, I may later on draft another full squad of three Agents. If all three of my Agents die in battle, I cannot draft another squad of Agents for the rest of the War for Valhalla).

When you play, the two separate armies drafted are to be treated as one in terms of gameplay- one set of order markers for one player, regardless of the number of armies they may have on the territory.

Place your chosen armies in your starting zones. Defenders always get choice in their starting zone, and Attacking armies will always get the latter starting zone.

The objective is simple- destroy all of your opponent's figures. The winner of the game gains control of the Territory. Note that you may retreat back to your own bordering Territory, but only if all of your remaining figures are in your own starting zone.

You may, if you and your opponent wish, limit your games to 8 Rounds, and determine winners by whoever has the most points left on the board.

After the game, the losing player must remove their Army token from the map. If the losing player retreated, they may move their token into a territory into an adjacent territory that THEY CONTROL.

If you lose more than 200 points of a Legion, after the game, remove the Legion token from the map and replace it with a Strike Team token. If you lose more than 200 points of a Strike Team, remove the Strike Team token from the map and replace it with a Scouting Party token.

Feedback is appreciated.

I plan to test this with a friend late this month and early June- until then I will be searching for specific maps to represent the Territories.

More word on "official" maps to use soon, as well as General's Homeland placements!

Last edited by elvenwizard9; May 7th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:37 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: War for Valhalla- A New Way to 'Scape

Still thinking about the maps- thinking of using the RotV and expansions scenarios, mostly.
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:54 PM

bobinchese knows what's in an order marker bobinchese knows what's in an order marker bobinchese knows what's in an order marker
Re: War for Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenwizard9 View Post
NOTE: If you have multiple armies on a territory (example: one Legion and one Scouting Party) you cannot combine their points into one single army! They are to be drafted as two separate armies. This means you draft one 600-point army (the Legion) and one 200-point army (the Scouting Party). Keep in mind, since these are two separate armies, you may draft units of multiple Generals you may have allied to you (Draft a Legion of Jandar and a Scouting Party of Ullar).
Question about this: If I have two armies in the same territory (say a Legion of Jandar and a Scouting Party of Ullar) can I use both armies in the same battle?

Also, can you use partial squads? Like say for example I wanted to use Zombies in my scouting party. Could I only get three squads because a fourth would put me over 200 pts, or could I get ten zombies (3&1/3 squads) because each zombie was only worth 20 pts?

Overall love the game, and can't wait to see what you do with it.

bobinchese is Otonashi...
in the Immortal Cave...
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:09 PM

Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby!

This is an interesting idea. I've seen some similar ideas and have played one of my own. I have two little nitpicks though:

1) Your SP don't carry. Your SP should carry over from one round to another.

2) You should list how many points you can put in each army with the different army sizes.

Otherwise, pretty cool. Just the sort of thing my brother and I could do all summer.

Two things that we did with our epic game:
1) If a Unique Hero died, you could re-summon them for the normal cost +10%.

2) We also had Valkyrie, who gave your army boosts, but if he/she died, that was it. Your opponent automatically wins.

Hope this helps. Keep working on it and let me know how it goes. Maybe I'll even try it this summer.
Old May 9th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=37745
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=40755

Here are two threads I'd written some time ago about basically the same thing. One of them outlines using another amazing game, Battleship Galaxies, to make a space-conquest based game (basically Star Wars Battlefront II as a board game) and the other is my take on a campaign.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinchese View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenwizard9 View Post
Question about this: If I have two armies in the same territory (say a Legion of Jandar and a Scouting Party of Ullar) can I use both armies in the same battle?

Also, can you use partial squads? Like say for example I wanted to use Zombies in my scouting party. Could I only get three squads because a fourth would put me over 200 pts, or could I get ten zombies (3&1/3 squads) because each zombie was only worth 20 pts?

Overall love the game, and can't wait to see what you do with it.
About the question of using multiple armies, YES. Since you may only move one Army per turn, you may only ATTACK with one army per turn. However, you may DEFEND with as many armies as you have on the territory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Yeshua View Post
This is an interesting idea. I've seen some similar ideas and have played one of my own. I have two little nitpicks though:

1) Your SP don't carry. Your SP should carry over from one round to another.

2) You should list how many points you can put in each army with the different army sizes.

Otherwise, pretty cool. Just the sort of thing my brother and I could do all summer.

Two things that we did with our epic game:
1) If a Unique Hero died, you could re-summon them for the normal cost +10%.

2) We also had Valkyrie, who gave your army boosts, but if he/she died, that was it. Your opponent automatically wins.

Hope this helps. Keep working on it and let me know how it goes. Maybe I'll even try it this summer.
SP don't carry over because it's a pain in the butt (for me at least) to keep track of them over so much time. I know that a few markers could solve this problem, but here is the reasoning behind that:

Say you are a runner. You run 4 miles every other day. You are trained to run four miles. You can build up to run 8 miles, but you cannot simply skip a day of running four miles and then "store up" energy to run 8 miles the next day. It doesn't work that way.

I always imagined the Valkyrie's summoning to be physically/mentally taxing. Wellsprings strengthen their abilities, and say they summon new soldiers every day, summoning more for each wellspring they control. But, they cannot simply skip a day of summoning and then summon twice as much as they normally do the next day. Their bodies/magical abilities are not geared to work that way.

This is why SP do not carry over.

Also, re-summoning Unique heroes for additional points is an interesting concept! Try it, see how it works out. It's a house-rule that doesn't break the game, and you may try it out, though I might not. Great idea though!

EDIT:

Any suggestions for map formatting? I'd like a pre-set map to build for each territory, one that is accurate to existing canon, or better, is marked on the map. Scenario maps found in books will work, and these maps do NOT have to be top-notch competitive or tourney maps. Anything with some forethought that provides nice theme and not completely broken would work.

It doesn't need to be competitive, because players would be encouraged to field the most competitive Heroes not as often as they regularly would, because if they are killed, they lose an advantage by losing that hero. Same with Unique squads. As more of these competitive heroes are killed (or run the risk of being killed), the more units like Deathwalkers and Valguard see the playing field, when they usually do not.

Army diversity can be caused as well: units like Marro Drudge or Obsidian Guards can be fielded, because you draft your army before each battle, and you can change them as you wish. If you are fighting in the Ticalla Jungle, then draft Marro Drudge; in the Volcarren Wasteland, draft Obsidian Guards. These units excel in their environments.

NOTE: Also, Homeland battles should traditionally be Castle Siege scenarios, with the Defenders starting in the castle. West Barbican of Idona Castle, anyone?

Last edited by elvenwizard9; May 9th, 2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Bugger

El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thumbs up Re: War for Valhalla

This is incredible.

I'm a master of Risk; my love for that game is equaled only by Heroscape. This sounds like an awesome way to combine the two!

Great idea. Hopefully this method catches on...
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_T-Steff View Post
This is incredible.

I'm a master of Risk; my love for that game is equaled only by Heroscape. This sounds like an awesome way to combine the two!

Great idea. Hopefully this method catches on...
Heheheh... Thanks
Hoping to have a friend over to test it tomorrow. I have to print the map up, though, as well as decide on maps to represent the territories. I'll probably discuss it further with my friend when he arrives, though.
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:31 AM

Well, we played for a while yesterday- with no clear victor.

I played Jandar, and he played Utgar.

My homeland was in Nastralund, and his in Atheneck (south of Crumland). Vydar's was in Haukeland (accesible by the Volcarren Wasteland and Anund). Ullar's was in Ekstrom, and Einar's in Braunglayde.

We began the game with Utgar taking the first turn. He claimed Crumland with a scouting party, whilst I quickly advanced into Laur. He claimed Aunstrom, while I claimed Upper Bleakwoode. He took Lindesfarme, while I took Ostrivick. It became clear to me that he was making little attempt to gain Einar's allegiance by advancing into Braunglayde, so I sent a Scouting Party into Bleakewoode in an attempt to cut him off. He saw what I was doing, and quickly retaliated with his own scouting party.

The odds were even, and we looked at the key to see if there was any map in Bleakwoode- and indeed there was: Soulrazor Canyon.

First game, 200 point armies on Soulrazor Canyon.

Utgar's Forces:
Ne-Gok-Sa 90
Marro Warriors 140
Marro Stingers 200

Jandar's Forces:
x2 Omnicron Snipers 200

The map had lots of height, so I decided to see how these snipers would do- and at first I was disappointed. He killed 4 of my 6 snipers before I even got a kill! However, the last two snipers wreaked havoc with some very tense and deft maneuvering on my part, and some extremely hot dice to make up for the death of the other four snipers. When my last sniper had fallen, only two Marro Warriors remained on the board!

Despite my limited success, I was not successful enough- I had lost Bleakewoode. In an attempt to flank him, I had quickly been routed.

In the coming turns, I formed a perimeter around Nastralund, claiming Ekstrom, Elswin, and Anund- howecer, he claimed Braunglayde, Kinsland an Volcarren, and beat me to Haukeland, gaining Vydar's allegiance. I dug in, preparing for the coming storm. He sent a Strike Force to meet my Strike Force at Elswin. Here we go.

We still have not settled this battle yet- what map would be suitable for Elswin? We simply never decided.
Old July 25th, 2013, 05:41 PM

We never continued our game of this - I think I may request a friend of mine to draw me a large map of Valhalla, so that I may hang it on my wall and keep a permanent record of troop movements...

The War for Valhalla could potentially become a very long-term project; I will attempt to make a few arrangements, and the battle will begin... I will continuously post battle reports for any battles that take place in our grand conflict, once we begin it.
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Last :-(

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I love the concept, although I don't have enough classic figures to play long term. I was thinking of adapting a similar concept for Superscape, using the world or maybe the U.S. as the battleground, with specific areas having different map features.

The Map looks phenomenal, I'm thinking of getting it printed out as a poster for my wall.
Old July 29th, 2013, 01:00 PM
C-Wedgie

cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Any guesses on how it would balance if more players were added?

Though numerous pronunciation attempts have been made, I have recently spurned my moniker. Feel free to refer to me as BowTieJones instead.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions