Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Closed Thread

Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:46 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!
Any other childfree people here?

Anyone else feel the same way? It's not a topic I hear discussed often.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Any other childfree people here?

Do you mean childless by circumstance or by philosophy? I get the impression you mean the latter.

If so, then count me in as someone who is childless by circumstance (to the best of my knowledge) and increasingly childless by philosophy. I believe that rapidly increasing global population is an existential threat to humanity's survival and a root cause of war, starvation and environmental collapse. Children born in the First World, especially, contribute disproportionately to our planet's environmental woes for obvious reasons.

I think we don't hear this topic discussed often because we all have friends and/or family with children, and it is incredibly difficult to take the above stance without coming across like a monster. (I probably just failed to do so myself. ) I love my friends' kids as well as the ones in my own extended family. I've been told many times that I'm great with kids and would make a good parent. Yet I cannot look at kids without sometimes thinking that, through no fault of their own, they are part of the problem, not the solution.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:57 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Do you mean childless by circumstance or by philosophy? I get the impression you mean the latter.
Yeah, the latter. Although I'm perpetually single so circumstance too.

Being childfree is rather synergistic with dating, actually. If a date that wants children knows you are childfree you suddenly lose the opportunity to make children.

Quote:
If so, then count me in as someone who is childless by circumstance (to the best of my knowledge) and increasingly childless by philosophy. I believe that rapidly increasing global population is an existential threat to humanity's survival and a root cause of war, starvation and environmental collapse. Children born in the First World, especially, contribute disproportionately to our planet's environmental woes for obvious reasons.
This is not my main reason for being childfree, but it is an interesting one. The very last thing poor people need is more mouths to feed and take care of.

Personally I think it is selfish and xenophobic to prefer having biological children over adopted children. Raising children should be for the sake of the children themselves, and ignoring preexisting children up for adoption because they don't look like you or share your genes is selfish and xenophobic. I know adoption is hard (I hear that constantly whenever I suggest adoption, if someone has any knowledge on the matter it would be appreciated), but it seems many parents don't even consider it.

Some people like to say that childfree people are selfish and that having children isn't, but that only really counts as non-selfish if you adopt IMO. Intentionally creating children and then saying, "I'm so much more selfless than you, I take care of _ children that I created myself" is like a fireman putting out a fires he himself created and then proudly claiming how heroic he is.

Quote:
I think we don't hear this topic discussed often because we all have friends and/or family with children, and it is incredibly difficult to take the above stance without coming across like a monster. (I probably just failed to do so myself. ) I love my friends' kids as well as the ones in my own extended family. I've been told many times that I'm great with kids and would make a good parent. Yet I cannot look at kids without sometimes thinking that, through no fault of their own, they are part of the problem, not the solution.
I kind of feel bad for parents. All that time and money and struggle when they could just live the DINK (Dual Income No Kids) lifestyle and enjoy themselves.

When I discussed this with my best friend she said something like, "You can't just love your wife entirely, what are you going to do with each other? Having children would bring you closer together." I told her that war buddies are great friends but I wouldn't want to go to war for the sake of acquiring them.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:15 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

Removed post.

~JS

Last edited by Joseph Sweeney; April 22nd, 2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: OK, M_S, I still don't like it.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:17 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

JS, then you should have not posted in this thread in the first place.

It's very easy to step over the line of seeing a hypothetical talk versus what someone's beliefs; which you had just done JS.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:09 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

If you have any criticisms I don't mind. Say whatever you want.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:15 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
Personally I think it is selfish and xenophobic to prefer having biological children over adopted children.
I believe it is rooted in our genes and is instinctual that we feel like we need to have our own children. Survival of the fittest and all.
Quote:
I kind of feel bad for parents. All that time and money and struggle when they could just live the DINK (Dual Income No Kids) lifestyle and enjoy themselves.
You definitely shouldn't feel bad for all of us. Some of us enjoy being a parent and get much more out of having children than we would from the money being saved by not supporting them. Maybe it's because I still like cartoons and I get to share that with my son where my wife will have nothing to do with it.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:17 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balantai View Post
Quote:
Personally I think it is selfish and xenophobic to prefer having biological children over adopted children.
I believe it is rooted in our genes and is instinctual that we feel like we need to have our own children. Survival of the fittest and all.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:26 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

Quote:
Quote:
I agree. But natural =/= good.

Quote:
Quote:
You definitely shouldn't feel bad for all of us. Some of us enjoy being a parent and get much more out of having children than we would from the money being saved by not supporting them. Maybe it's because I still like cartoons and I get to share that with my son where my wife will have nothing to do with it.
Well, it's not just the money. It's free time in general.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:41 PM

Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
This would be a good reason why you wait to have kids. Give yourself a few years to enjoy life with your spouse and with out the hassle and expense of children. Then when you are ready to officially 'settle down' you won't feel like you missed experiences due to having children.

The same thing applies to marriage to, quite frankly...
Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:42 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Instinctual =/= xenophobic

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
While it is true that you will have less "free time", some would prefer to spend that time with their children. You seem to be tying a negative connotation to having children. Being in a relationship/marriage means having less free time, but it's something most of us choose to do.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:12 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Instinctual =/= xenophobic
Quote:
fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign
It is instinctual to be xenophobic in regards to adoption.

Quote:
While it is true that you will have less "free time", some would prefer to spend that time with their children. You seem to be tying a negative connotation to having children.
1.) Well yeah, they're massive financial, physical, and emotional burdens.

2.) If you're happy with children that's cool. It just not something I would do or recommend to anyone.

Quote:
Being in a relationship/marriage means having less free time, but it's something most of us choose to do.
How so? Wouldn't that only be the case if you had children to take care of?

Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General