Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old August 5th, 2013, 07:52 PM

PikminToo is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: War for Valhalla

This is a great idea and I hope it sees more attention. The thought process behind it is very in depth. I have tried something along this lines before, but mine lacked the structure you have put forth. Here are a few things I suggest to help it.
1) Have several versions of the original map to allow for more/less players. Heroscape is always more fun when you have more people. Each person can control a general. With larger maps/more people allow two or three troop movements per turn.
2)Your explanation for why the sp does not carry over was brilliant but still exposes a problem for those who wish to do it. Instead of allowing for 400 pts to be carried over restrict it to 100 max. This will allow people to be happy with the little saving without altering the mindset of what you are trying to do.
3) This is more for whoever wants to play; a specific set of maps must be picked for each territory before the game starts. This will stop any fighting about maps, but you had that solved.
4) Just a thought on this one but try adding glyphs to remote territories. This gives more of an incentive and something more to be gathered in the wilderness.

Over all this is a brilliant idea and I plan on working this out with my brother over the coming months!
Old August 6th, 2013, 02:57 PM

pieface! is surprisingly tart

I too think this a cool and fun idea. However instead of just using SP's for armies I think you should also be able to purchase random glyphs. This would add another element and strategy options to this arrangement. Of course some may have to be slightly modded to work better with the overall rules and some maybe not even available to buy. I was thinking 100 SP's for treasure glyphs (since they only affect 1 unit) and 200 for regular glyphs. Since you bought the glyph it only makes sense that you and only you get to use it. Instead of placing it wherever on the battlefield, you activate it before combat. One time use and then back into the pile. The mention of Battefront in the OP got me thinking about the bonuses you can buy and thought it would be a good addition.

Shameless Self-Promotion

My Maps l My Custom Units l My Custom Terrain
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:27 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

One thing you could change about map setup for battles is that the defending player chooses which map to use. IMO, that would make sense because the defending player would already be dug-in and would be in a defensive position. Home field advantage.

Another thing you could do - something more in-depth - would be to have the map determined by the player with the smaller army. A scouting party is easier to conceal, so an ambush would be smoother to pull off. A strike team would have a more difficult time doing an ambush, but would be better on an open field. A legion would be best in an open battle. You could use a map-choosing point system of sorts, where a Scouting Party would be 3 map points, a Strike Team is worth 2 map points, and a Legion is worth 1 map point.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:07 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

Forgive my absence/neglect; I literally have not played HeroScape since school started, but I am still thinking about it and am dying to get in a game or two...

Once my jam-packed schedule clears up, I'll probably have more time to test this.

I love the ideas here; purchasing glyphs using SP and letting a specific side choose the map before the game sounds interesting. I will definitely keep these things in mind the next time around in the War for Valhalla.

In the meantime, finding a few set maps for each territory sounds like a good idea. Perhaps three maps for each territory, each with similar aesthetic theme to reflect the territory's location but each offering varied gameplay. I would imagine that some territories would see battle more often than others, and playing on the same map repeatedly can get old quickly - too quickly for my taste.

Last edited by elvenwizard9; October 6th, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:34 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

I've decided to have three separate maps for each territory. The defender will get choice of map for the time being. I am attempting to make my own "official" list of the maps for each territory. Typically, one of the three maps will be any of the official scenario maps, another will be a tournament-style competitive, and the third... Well, I'm not exactly sure at the moment, but suggestions are welcome.

Please, state your ideas, feedback, comments, criticisms, concerns, and complaints.
(A Valkyrie symbol denotes the general's Homeland territory)

Thaelenk Tundra
1. Battlefield of Frozen Souls

Nastralund
1. The West Barbican of Idona Castle
2. Wolf Swamp Road

Laur
1. The Forsaken Waters
2. Migol's Tomb

Ekstrom
1. Wellspring of Obsession

Ostrivick
1. Trollsford Swamp

Upper Bleakwoode
1. Table of the Giants

Elswin

Jutanguard
1. Forgotten Forest

Aunstrom

Bleakwoode
1. Soulrazor Canyon

Kinsland
1. Searing Pass

Anund

Volcarren
1. Volcarren Wasteland

Haukeland

Braunglayde

Lindesfarme
1. Durgeth Swamp

Crumland

Athenock
1. West Barbican of Idona Castle
Old October 28th, 2013, 07:11 PM

Just gonna bump this up and ask for suggestions on maps. Anyone who has tried this, please tell me how it went- feedback is appreciated!
EW9 will be testing this... As soon as he and comrades allot the time to do so...

"elvenwizard9." Now that's a username I've not heard in a long time.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 04:14 AM

hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker

I really like this idea. We have been kicking around something similar for a while, just never tried it out . I know both Fire Isles or Ember Canyon Road would fit for a Volcarren tournament type map. I am partial o Ember Canyon Road myself.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 12:51 PM

1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby!

I like your stream lined approach for calculating drafting points, based on the territories a player controls.

Here is the link to two previous campaign style games we have played in the past. You can see the maps that were used--Pre BOV and not official scenarios, but there were are aimed at being symmetrical. These links also include discussions about the overall playing results and experience:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...valleydwellers

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ValleyDwellers

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Hymar's_Temple
1moreheroscaper's_Customs
War_of_the_Great_Wellspring
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:34 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This looks awesome, I was just recently thinking about making something similar to this that used a risk board... Maybe I'll "borrow" a few of your ideas here for that.

I feel like before I'll really be able to have a chance at playing this I'll have to get a good deal more HeroScape.

Awesome idea! Looking forward to see it prosper more, hopefully some day my collection will be able to do this effectively.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:07 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yesterday I found my old copy of Heroes of Might and Magic III, and wasted a few hours on that before I came to a sudden realization that I could probably take some of the ideas here, and mix them with some new ideas to make a HeroScape version of Heroes of Might and Magic.

Just another similar idea, much less thought out however.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions