Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old April 6th, 2013, 10:29 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

In addition to winning our local Heroscape tournament 5-0... Learned Airlines Europe and Alien Frontiers today. Won AE 89-86-78 and lost AF 11-9. Both were fun. I think I prefer TtR over AE for the simplicity, though the "diminishing returns" economy mechanics of AE was enjoyable. AF was also fun, and I could see where it would be great with 3-4 players. Started out behind in that one, took the lead for most of the game, then lost on the last turn.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Finally beat Ghost Stories last night!

So I've been thinking what does everybody think are the toughest co-op games?

Ghost Stories and Yggdrasil have been by far the toughest for us (and I'm talking normal mode here).

Death Angel would rate right under those 2, but we seem to be able to luck out more often than not with that one. LotR: LCG can be tough if you're a rookie, but nowadays (after 300+ plays) I win more often than not.

Castle Panic and Forbidden Island have never really given us problems. Neither has any of the DnD Adventure series. I've never played Pandemic or Red November so I don't know how difficult they are. Sentinels of the Multiverse starts out tough but once again we win more often than not (except against Iron Legacy currently). Elder Sign has been ridiculously easy which is why we don't play it much any more. Mice and Mystics seems to be about 50 / 50 but I've only played 6 or so games and it seems like there's quite a few "house rules" to make it however tough you want. D-Day Dice can be quite the challenge depending on which scenario you're doing.

What are your guys' thoughts?
LOTR:The Card Game can be tough depending on the scenario you are playing through and while you are trying to figure out the right deck for that scenario.

I haven't played Pandemic, Ghost Stories, the DnD games, Elder Sign, Forbidden Island or Yggdrasil.

Defenders of the Realm can be a pain in the butt to win sometimes for sure.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue can be tough too once you bump up the difficulty levels.

Mice & Mystics has a nice balance, though I haven't even gotten through the whole chapter book because I started playtesting for the expansions and I can't count those games.

I have both Police Precinct and Agents of SMERSH but have only played each a couple of times so far with a win and loss for each game so far.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
In addition to winning our local Heroscape tournament 5-0... Learned Airlines Europe and Alien Frontiers today. Won AE 89-86-78 and lost AF 11-9. Both were fun. I think I prefer TtR over AE for the simplicity, though the "diminishing returns" economy mechanics of AE was enjoyable. AF was also fun, and I could see where it would be great with 3-4 players. Started out behind in that one, took the lead for most of the game, then lost on the last turn.
I had a good time with both games as well, though I didn't enjoy Airlines: Europe that much. Not my type of game, really, for some reason. But I would play it again.

Alien Frontiers is a great game. Always enjoy playing it. Have to maximize your turn with the dice you got. So many options.
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:08 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just came back from Barnes & Noble with the Pressman The Lord of the Rings: The Complete Trilogy Adventure Board Game for half price ($13 bucks with tax). Has anybody tried this? They don't think much of it on boardgamgeek, but I'll probably play around with it for a while. The designer has posted an FAQ there.

Last edited by chas; April 7th, 2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:09 AM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Finally beat Ghost Stories last night!

So I've been thinking what does everybody think are the toughest co-op games?

Ghost Stories and Yggdrasil have been by far the toughest for us (and I'm talking normal mode here).

Death Angel would rate right under those 2, but we seem to be able to luck out more often than not with that one. LotR: LCG can be tough if you're a rookie, but nowadays (after 300+ plays) I win more often than not.

Castle Panic and Forbidden Island have never really given us problems. Neither has any of the DnD Adventure series. I've never played Pandemic or Red November so I don't know how difficult they are. Sentinels of the Multiverse starts out tough but once again we win more often than not (except against Iron Legacy currently). Elder Sign has been ridiculously easy which is why we don't play it much any more. Mice and Mystics seems to be about 50 / 50 but I've only played 6 or so games and it seems like there's quite a few "house rules" to make it however tough you want. D-Day Dice can be quite the challenge depending on which scenario you're doing.

What are your guys' thoughts?
LOTR:The Card Game can be tough depending on the scenario you are playing through and while you are trying to figure out the right deck for that scenario.

I haven't played Pandemic, Ghost Stories, the DnD games, Elder Sign, Forbidden Island or Yggdrasil.

Defenders of the Realm can be a pain in the butt to win sometimes for sure.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue can be tough too once you bump up the difficulty levels.

Mice & Mystics has a nice balance, though I haven't even gotten through the whole chapter book because I started playtesting for the expansions and I can't count those games.

I have both Police Precinct and Agents of SMERSH but have only played each a couple of times so far with a win and loss for each game so far.

Out of the co-ops I've played so far:

Pandemic: I've only won about 50% of the time. The difficulty really can ramp up if you change it. I've never tried it on heroic as we are still only at 50% on the first couple of levels.

Zombicide is about the same. Even the "easy" scenarios have a decent shot of failure. Once you get to the medium levels the difficulty really ramps up and the hard scenarios are really tough, I'd say around a 20-25% chance of success.

LoTR: LCG seems to be more difficult the more people you have. I've had a fair amount of success solo, but when I've played even just with two players it really gets tougher. I tried it once with 4 and that was a nightmare.

Flash Point is similar to Pandemic in the difficulty really gets going based on what level you play at. I've played it about 8 times on the first level of the advanced rules and am about 50%. Never tried it any tougher than that. We played it last night in fact and lost because of damage to the building.

The DnD games are quite easy. I enjoy them, but they offer little resistance. In fact, I don't believe I've ever lost.

I suppose you could say Legendary is a co op (at least for a while). I love the game, but the difficulty is not there.

I'm sure there are others that I have tried that I just can't think of atm.

Zombicide is my favorite in the genre right now. We played it twice last night winning once and losing once. I've never played a game where there is so much hooting and hollering regardless of victory or defeat. Running over zombies with cars is just plain awesomesauce.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:11 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just played a game of Heroscape online with Sujoah. It was my first online game. I lost, but it was close. Very fun! Playing online is really cool!

My army was:
3x Snipers
4x Venocs
Venoc Warlord
Isamu
Otonashi

Sujoah's army:
Atlaga
Concan
3x Sentinels

I do very well with Vipers - must've gotten about five frenzies throughout the game!

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:26 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

On Thursday I played a game of Castle Panic.

I finished some more Mice and Mystics painting this week.

These cockroaches and spider complete another Mice and Mystics set.

This Centipede marks the start of a brand new Mice and mystics set.

I also went up to the Dust Warfare Regional the Fantasy Flight Event Center this week and tried to get some pictures of my games.

I ended up going 1-1-2 in my games. I beat one Axis player tied with an Allied player and lost to 2 Axis players.
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Man, that spider and centipede are so inspiring--wow!

One quick note on co-op games: Forbidden Island is a much better game if you play with the variant island set-ups. Some of those are quite intense and up the challenge quite a bit. Still not the hardest game, but more solid than the base game, imo.
Old April 8th, 2013, 10:43 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Finally got to play a few games this weekend. Been a couple of weeks since I last gamed (or at least felt like it).

Tumbling Dice
Caylus
Sentinels of the Multiverse

First time play for the latter two. Caylus was really good, and I look forward to playing it again. Really crunchy worker placement game, but will only get played with the gamer crew so having one copy in the group's collection is plenty. As good as it was, and for those who listen to the Dice Tower, I have no idea what the heck Ryan Sturm is talking about.

I liked Sentinels a lot too. May finally have found a super hero game I want to own. Game play was great but what I think most attracts me to it is that it's a non-licensed game. Sorry DC, Marvel, and anyother major super hero brand, I'm just not that into you.

-insert signature here-
Old April 8th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

March Gaming at the Mmirg Household (as you can see it's a lot more small games--just been swamped and have only been squeezing in short before-bed kinds of games) :

Sorry! Sliders 8 (Still one of the best mass market, casual games out there)
Rat-a-Tat Cat 6 (Kids love it)
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age 6 (Picked this up recently; not amazing, but sure can be a lot of fun!)
Botswana 5 (Also a recent acquisition; not a amazing, but solid.)
King of Tokyo 5 (Still my go-to short game; love it! We now always start with one power-up each game--just makes things more fun and helps make each monster more distinct.)
Dungeon Command: Heart of Cormyr 4 (This is all the DC; I just use Cormyr as my set that "counts"--anyhow, we've really enjoyed this. Wish I had the cash to get two of every set; would be fun to get into customizing armies more.)
Coloretto 3 (Still like this game--love the little mini-expansions from BGG for it, messing with limits, rules, etc.)
Eminent Domain 3 (Wish I played this more. Going to get the expansion that takes it to 5 players--that will help us play it more. If you haven't seen the Kickstarter for it, check it out!)
Fairy Tale 3 (Another solid, small game)
The Hobbit Card Game 3 (Only okay--fun to play, but not quite as good as I hoped)
Simply Suspects 3 (My boys love this game to death.)
Spoiler Alert!

Always happy to chat about other games on here as well.
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Tonight at game night I played:

Love Letter - 4 player game. This game is always a good time. I didn't win, but it was a fun ride.

Shadow of the Sun
- 4 player game. I really like this game from Small Box Games. The other players hadn't played before, but liked it. I won close one 45,44,43, 35. The last day/round I was able to weaken one of the lead players with the Darkened ability, knowing that he had his last turn to play while the other leader was done. The next player hammered the one guy again and the the last player did as well to knock him down to 35 points. The last guy was afraid to come after me because of the number of cards I had, but he probably should have since I ended up beating him by 1 point and he knocked the other former leader down farther than necessary.

The Great Heartland Hauling Company - 4 player game. This was a fun little game that 3 of us were new to. Basically picking up pigs, cattle, corn or soybeans and dropping them off to earn money. Simple but fun game. I came in third.

Sunrise City - 4 player game. This was new to 3 of us. This is kind of a brain burner where you use various types of square tiles to expand the base of the city, then bid to be able to build in ground level tiles. Then you build with rectangular tiles that span 2 square tiles of colors that match correctly. So you build outward and upward to have various levels of the city. You get points in various ways you build things as buildings can have different values. There are also roles you draft. You get 3 total roles and play one for each round of the game. The roles will let you earn points in different ways or affect bidding, or add free tiles or move tiles etc. It's a thinking game for sure and we all enjoyed it. I'm glad we started out with it early in the night and then played some less brain burners later, though Shadow of the Sun gets you thinking too, but not to this level.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

1Mmrig, I suggest you buy 10 Days in Africa and Ruin. Your family will like both of them.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games