Notices

Old February 11th, 2014, 01:32 PM

TJByrum is surprisingly tart
Re: The Book of Brandis Skyhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Except Drake cannot be targeted by ranged normal attacks, which Archer's Glory requires. Raelin on the other hand suffers because Brandis even gets an attack bonus against her.

You do have the gist of the power though.
I think he meant a drake negated by morsbane
No I forgot about Thorian's... speed? Whatever.

I just picked two random names and those two came to mind.
Old December 25th, 2019, 01:32 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

One of my friends really likes drafting Brandis in our games. I don't own him personally, but when we play online matches, he has become a pretty feared adversary between us.

I think a lot of people miss his best use: he is an anti-wyrmling tech. Rolling 5 attack dice is almost a guaranteed kill.

I admit his uses outside that is pretty limited, but what he does do, no one can match him in for the points. Syvarris is good, but just so fragile if anything gets in his face. Also, wyrmlings seem pretty popular. I think I've lost more often to wyrmlings in the tourney scene than any other particular unit.

He has popped up regularly enough in our occasional online games that I am seriously considering dropping $10 for a C-figure lol.

I do wish he was an elf though. What the heck WotC, why did you have to give him the DnD treatment and ruin so many cool synergies.

EDIT: I realized reading the card again that his second special only works against UNIQUES. This is why I prefer the physical cards to look at every 10 seconds of the game with my short-term memory.

We've been playing him wrong over our last few games, but I still think he is well worth the 90 points against wyrmlings.

Last edited by DoomCarrot; December 25th, 2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old December 25th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomCarrot View Post
I do wish he was an elf though. What the heck WotC, why did you have to give him the DnD treatment and ruin so many cool synergies.

EDIT: I realized reading the card again that his second special only works against UNIQUES. This is why I prefer the physical cards to look at every 10 seconds of the game with my short-term memory.

We've been playing him wrong over our last few games, but I still think he is well worth the 90 points against wyrmlings.

Along with other unique hero flier groups, like the Esenwins, Dragons, Kyries.

I've downloaded the competitive unit congress version of the Deepwyrm Drows, which has drow bonding, but I've went and upgraded that to "Half-Breed" bonding to include not just drow, but eladrins and half-elfs. I think it helps get some "should've been elves" be a little more useful and be their own faction.
Old December 26th, 2019, 04:49 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

I would be a bit worried to give him bonding with the drow.

Generally speaking, ranged bonding options for fairly tough melee squads can be dangerously overpowered. Being able to screen and shoot from behind melee lines at the same time gets insane. Take the romans and me-burq-sa for example. Despite MBS low defense and attack, it can be an extremely frustrating synergy.

I’m thinking that bonding with drow is a cool idea, but it just seems somewhat OP based on my instinct. I think a kind of strategic bonding would be useful, something that gives Brandis more flexibility and cool army builds without making anything too strong.

Half-elf bonding

“Before taking a turn with deepwyrm drow, you may first take a turn with any half-elf hero you control. Any hero activated by deepwyrm bonding cannot attack figures engaged with any deepwyrm drow you control.”

Something like this could give some interesting playability while providing ways to counter it as well. I know that is a stupid special, but it is nust an example of how bonding can be done without making a playstyle too obvious or powerful.
Old December 26th, 2019, 05:14 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

You guys got me thinking about the elf/half-elf relationship in Heroscape. I was thinking that you could have a power that grants full turn bonding with elves, but only half bonding with half-elves. So a half-elf could move or attack bond (your choice) but not both. Would be a way to show that half-elves are part of the elf forces but not fully accepted/integrated. You'd need a few more half-elves though to make it more relevant.

Last edited by Yodaking; December 26th, 2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old December 26th, 2019, 06:55 PM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
You guys got me thinking about the elf/half-elf relationship in Heroscape. I was thinking that you could have a power that grants full turn bonding with elves, but only half bonding with half-elves. So a half-elf could more or attack bond (your choice) but not both. Would be a way to show that half-elves are part of the elf forces but not fully accepted/integrated. You'd need a few more half-elves though to make it more relevant.

Or maybe just re-edit Brandis to state something along the lines of "if Brandis takes a turn with a card's bonding ability, he can't use Archer's Glory." Just so it's not bonding into potential turn after turn after turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Take the romans and me-burq-sa for example.
But those are both A/A- units that are pretty solid without bonding.

I personally like my half-breed bonding. I haven't tested it in any way, but the figures it helps out are B-/C ranked heroes/squads that are a little situation reliant be more generally competitive, along with giving Talingul an interesting build option that's not construct based.

Though I do like the many partial bonding options out there, like Tomoe Gozan, the gorillinator heroes, the river tribe squad, etc. I feel sometimes straight bonding can be overly powerful, like with the knights.
Old December 27th, 2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak88 View Post
But those are both A/A- units that are pretty solid without bonding.
Exactly, because of the way their bonding works

If MBS didn’t bond with romans and greeks he would be near the brandis category of situationally amazing but rarely that good in a blind matchup. I think he is a great example of how ranged bonding with a melee screen can turn a C/B unit into something arguably a little overpowered. Even straight bonding can be a bit absurd, as you stated with the knights. IMO, I wish every bonding mech in heroscape had some kind of unique drawback.

There are a lot of interesting ideas here though, and I think some kind of bonding with the drow is a thematic and neat idea, it just needs to be done in a way that isn’t as blaringly obvious and meta as MBS and romans are
Old December 30th, 2019, 03:14 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomCarrot View Post
One of my friends really likes drafting Brandis in our games. I don't own him personally, but when we play online matches, he has become a pretty feared adversary between us.

I think a lot of people miss his best use: he is an anti-wyrmling tech. Rolling 5 attack dice is almost a guaranteed kill.

I admit his uses outside that is pretty limited, but what he does do, no one can match him in for the points. Syvarris is good, but just so fragile if anything gets in his face. Also, wyrmlings seem pretty popular. I think I've lost more often to wyrmlings in the tourney scene than any other particular unit.

He has popped up regularly enough in our occasional online games that I am seriously considering dropping $10 for a C-figure lol.

I know a lot of top competitive players are very aware of Brandis as a Wyrnling counter. Sure, he doesn't get Archer's Glory, but a normal ranged attack of 5 is pretty good against the Wyrmlings.

I brought him to GenCon for the main event. I never ran into wyrmlings (although I was handed an army with a few in a RtW round) but he got Archer's Glory multiple times in the course of the day. I did not regret putting him in my army.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 30th, 2019, 05:34 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Sorry to self-spam again, but check out my CUA version of Brandis:
Quote:
Brandis Skyhunter
Add EVASIVE 1 as above for elves (but still keep half-elf) and change Archer's Glory to "Each time Brandis Skyhunter destroys an opponent's non-adjacent Unique Hero figure, you make take another turn with Brandis Skyhunter."
Logic: He needed multiple attacks more easily to take on squads better, plus the defensive bonus of the elves.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 11:03 AM

Airballshooter knows what's in an order marker Airballshooter knows what's in an order marker Airballshooter knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Sorry to self-spam again, but check out my CUA version of Brandis:
Quote:
Brandis Skyhunter
Add EVASIVE 1 as above for elves (but still keep half-elf) and change Archer's Glory to "Each time Brandis Skyhunter destroys an opponent's non-adjacent Unique Hero figure, you make take another turn with Brandis Skyhunter."
Logic: He needed multiple attacks more easily to take on squads better, plus the defensive bonus of the elves.

I feel like that this change to Archers Glory would make him to strong. this way he would be absolutly insane against any squad, with the additional movement his range doesnt really matter as well since he can reach anything. and making him evasive just makes him harder to kill,which is not really needed, since he is already a pretty resolute ranged hero for his points. i could see a change to make it trigger when killing common heroes as well tho.
Old January 21st, 2024, 08:48 PM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've seen Brandis do nothing in games in which there were pretty much only Flying figures, namely on Heat of Battle castle maps where most of the figures included had Flying to navigate the castle. You have to constantly disengage to get his 5 dice. I just wish he was better because it's a cool concept, and he would be a beast in the castle map meta if he could do work.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units