Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old March 4th, 2011, 09:09 PM

Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby!
Shocky's Maps (New Map 9/23/11)

This will be my map thread. If you see a picture of the map, but no download, I'm probably working on the download and will have it up soon. So, without further ado...

Forges of Utgar

Requires 1 RotV, 1 RttFF, 1 VW

Volcarren Gauntlet

Requires 1 BftU, 1 VW

Run to the Hills

Requires 1 RotV

Constructive criticism is always appreciated!

Last edited by Shockma Ranyk; September 25th, 2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Messing with the lay-out
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:06 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Shocky's Maps

Run to the Hills looks great, though simple. Like most maps, melee will have a time trying to get to the front, but I like the looks of it.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:58 AM

Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby!

Just played another game on it, and it seems pretty balanced for flying figures right now, which was my big concern about the first couple versions I did. I also like how the two obvious Raelin perches in the middle are wide open.
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:03 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockma Ranyk View Post
I also like how the two obvious Raelin perches in the middle are wide open.
Hidden or not, a Raelin perch is a Raelin perch. Sure, she might die faster out in the open, but she'll still be perched for at least part of the game.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockma Ranyk View Post
I also like how the two obvious Raelin perches in the middle are wide open.
Hidden or not, a Raelin perch is a Raelin perch. Sure, she might die faster out in the open, but she'll still be perched for at least part of the game.
True enough. Do you have any suggestions for armies for another test game?
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Looks ok, not sure about the perches though. Could you mark the start zones, it looks like you have a few extra spaces there and I'm not sure where it ends.
Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for armies for another test game?
How about melee vs ranged. Preferably with both teams have the same move value.
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I always try to test these three scenarios-

Melee vs Melee
Melee vs Range
Range vs Range

Of course, in almost any scenario, range will dominate epically.

So testing melee vs range- as long as melee can fairly make it to the range, the map is fine.

The approach counts- maps need a path for melee to be able to get to the highest point(s) on the map fairly. Also, glyphs such as wound and move +2 help melee and discourage camping.

Take my new map Tagawa Steppes for example-

-picture deleted at request of Shockma Raynk-

The highest points are 4 1-hexers on the dungeon 3-hexes in the middle of the map.

I use road to help speed up melee and I have LoS blockers around the map. The biggest ones are the ones seperating the high points and keeping range from sniping the glyphs and some approaching figures.

The most important part of playtesting is to have as many people play on your map as possible. This site helps- sharing maps lets a lot of other people give feedback on a map. So what you want to do is to advertise your maps and announce that you need playtesters. Then, gather feedback and pair those results with what you playtested and edit the map(s) accordingly.

Your map looks pretty good. Some of the water placement causes choke points, so I would switch that. But it isn't too major unless the other army can block off the starting zone.

The other thing the map lacks is a glyph. I would find a good spot on lower elevation that is the same distance from the starting zones. The quickest route on my map takes 9 spaces from each side. Yours looks about the same in terms of distance. Just try to place the glyph(s) well.

Nice job on the map so +rep!

Edit- and starting zones. You might want to mark those.

Last edited by Robber; March 28th, 2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Starting zones
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:50 PM

I was having trouble finding good places for glyphs, so I'll try to change that soon. I did forget starting zones, that'll be fixed soon.

EDIT: Updated with start zone pic, will fix the download later.

EDIT 2: Fixed the download.

Last edited by Shockma Ranyk; March 8th, 2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:32 AM

I'm going to start a test melee vs. range battle on a modified version of RttH soon. Armies are Q9/Stingers x4/Rats x2 VS. Heavy Gruts x3/Grimnak/Nerak/Fen Hydra. It now has glyphs, which are Valda and Wannok.
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:31 PM

The heavy gruts won, which at least gives me hope for the melee-friendliness. I'll play a few more games. I plan to play a Marro Drones and TBR army against an elf hero army this weekend sometime.
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:48 PM

I decided to glance at the number of downloads on Run to the Hills today and... 19! Thanks guys! Also, I'm planning on getting a lot of games in on RttH V2 and on a new dungeon/lava map I slapped together.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:27 PM

Utger man is surprisingly tart

Hmmm... good map. most people can make and use it.

I did NOT spell "Utgar" incorrectly. Check the link below.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...4&postcount=85

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios