Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old September 6th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby!
Capture the Flag Competitive Armies

I'm playing a few CtF games, and I'm wondering what units are especially good in this genre. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

While carrying the flag, a figure may not:
Phantom/Ghost Walk
Stealth Fly (Stealth Flying becomes normal flying)
Disengage
Teleport

200 Vipers x5
120 Venoc Warlord
180 Gorillinators x2

Spoiler Alert!

100 Kozuke Samurai
120 Tagawa Samurai
120 Kaemon Awa
100 Krav
60 Zetacron

Spoiler Alert!

210 Deepwyrm Drow x3
100 Pelloth
100 Chainfighter x4
80 Estivara

Spoiler Alert!

Feel free to post your favorites here, I'm hoping we can come up with some good ones. Whichever ones everyone seems to like, I'll add to the OP.

Last edited by Shockma Ranyk; September 17th, 2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Updated Viper army description
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:52 PM
<>character<>

LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Capture the Flag Competitive Armies

Silver Surfer 320
Cyprien 150
Marcu + Isamu 30

This was airdropper's army in the Mid May Monster Bash and I think he won.

Old September 6th, 2010, 01:58 PM

TnT2 knows what's in an order marker TnT2 knows what's in an order marker TnT2 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordEsenwienIV View Post
Silver Surfer 320
Cyprien 150
Marcu + Isamu 30

This was airdropper's army in the Mid May Monster Bash and I think he won.
Wow. This is certainly an "all your eggs in one basket" strategy. Though, I guess with Cyprian and Silver Surfer, you have TWO eggs. But still. We have found that capture the flag armies still need to be effective fighting armies. Both to stop the other guy, and to beat him up via Plan B, if Plan A doesn't work....

The future of scape is players like us who support a community like this - with new maps, scenarios and events. Playing scape. Not buying scape...

Quick-Set-Up Map Thread The Principles of War
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:59 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Stealth Flying is the way to go in a CTF game if you don't have a rule in place ahead of time that carring the flag negates special movement abilities (disengage, ghost walk, flying, teleportation, etc.). I would advise you make sure that rule is in place though, or CTF gets boring real fast.

Otherwise, I think I would go with a combination of fast movement and high defense figures. Try to be the first one to grab the flag, and then hold on to it for dear life. You might also want a ranged hard hitter you can use to take down any one elses' figures that might be holding onto the flag. The blue ninja might actually be a good choice if you need an 80point filler. Being able to attack, then move means you could kill the flag holder, then pick up the flag all in one turn.

*I see the silver surfer move and attack figure was suggested while I was typing, a very good choice if able to use Marvel.
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Stealth Flying is the way to go in a CTF game if you don't have a rule in place ahead of time that carring the flag negates special movement abilities (disengage, ghost walk, flying, teleportation, etc.). I would advise you make sure that rule is in place though, or CTF gets boring real fast.
Good point Yodaking, I'll update the OP with that.
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:05 PM
<>character<>

LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post

Otherwise, I think I would go with a combination of fast movement and high defense figures. Try to be the first one to grab the flag, and then hold on to it for dear life. You might also want a ranged hard hitter you can use to take down any one elses' figures that might be holding onto the flag. The blue ninja might actually be a good choice if you need an 80point filler. Being able to attack, then move means you could kill the flag holder, then pick up the flag all in one turn.

*I see the silver surfer move and attack figure was suggested while I was typing, a very good choice if able to use Marvel.
Which is why airdropper's army won.

Old September 6th, 2010, 03:15 PM

Grimfang Woo who?

I feel like the Gladiatrons and Major X17 are good in CTF, or the version where it actually involves taking the flag back to your base. Nothing is funnier than locking your opponent into place as soon as he gets the flag

Got my Nakitas

*I have a long way to go to achieve total Heroscape Overload... *sigh*
Have had excellent trading experience with : Pilgrim
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Dund is pretty good in a CtF battle. He either stuns someone who just has gotten the flag or he stuns the defenders of the flag, and if he can get lucky on the first OM he can put 12 spaces beetween him and the flag's origanal location.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Deathreavers.

Just...Deathreavers.

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Cat View Post
Deathreavers.

Just...Deathreavers.
I thought about them, but I think, if you put them out in front, they could hinder your own units too. If you surround the flag with them, you have to move them to bring the opponent's flag back. They get in the way, for you and your opponent.
Old September 6th, 2010, 08:08 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockma Ranyk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Cat View Post
Deathreavers.

Just...Deathreavers.
I thought about them, but I think, if you put them out in front, they could hinder your own units too. If you surround the flag with them, you have to move them to bring the opponent's flag back. They get in the way, for you and your opponent.
Deathreavers do a great job of holding on to the flag if you give it to them, but they really shine as Flag defenders. Raelin+2 or 3 squads of Reavers is a nice defense for the flag and your remaining points can be spent on a force to grab the opponent's flag. Hivelords, Stingers, and Grubs will do nicely. Tul-Bak-Ra is also gold.

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:08 PM

I'm trying a CtF battle with Einar Imperium, Kiova, and Raelin. From how it's going right now, I think I'm going to lose because of to many auras, which are somewhat cumbersome in CtFs.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion