Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old December 8th, 2016, 03:00 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Japanese Anime Updates

My brother and I recently decided to watch Yu-Gi-Oh! for the first time with the intent to sort of riff it over a few drinks. It's hilariously cheesy but also strangely kind of good. Especially for something neither of us have any nostalgic attachment to whatsoever. It seems to have aged much better than the original Pokemon show if YMS is any indicator.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 9th, 2016, 12:42 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
I finally got around to starting Sword Art Online and I am really diggin' it. Being an MMO player, I love the whole premise and setting of the show. I am currently only on episode 10.
I know right?! SAO is what got me into Anime...love it...SOO many epic moments!! I used to play Runescape ..so this anime really took down my barriers when I was so skeptical about anime before.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old December 9th, 2016, 03:15 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

There is no one kind of program called "Anime." Its as diverse as live action US TV-with all the channels.
Old December 9th, 2016, 09:28 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Similar But Different

Cowboy Bebop got me into anime (not sure how else to say it chas, it's diverse but it's also distinctly different from Western media aside from things like Avatar or RWBY which draw influence from them).

It's great that SAO did that for you Sir H, but I know for me personally, I'm glad it's not the first anime I've watched as I'm not sure I would've watched more.

I'm a couple episodes into Tokyo Ghoul, but I am debating pausing that and plowing through Ghost in the Shell.

~Dysole, particular about her animes
Old December 10th, 2016, 02:04 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Similar But Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
Cowboy Bebop got me into anime (not sure how else to say it chas, it's diverse but it's also distinctly different from Western media aside from things like Avatar or RWBY which draw influence from them).

It's great that SAO did that for you Sir H, but I know for me personally, I'm glad it's not the first anime I've watched as I'm not sure I would've watched more.

I'm a couple episodes into Tokyo Ghoul, but I am debating pausing that and plowing through Ghost in the Shell.

~Dysole, particular about her animes
It's strange but I can't recall what was my first introduction to anime. I do know that I have several unfinished series that I need to get back to.

You say you are particular. Do you have a favorite?

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old December 10th, 2016, 02:11 AM

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Favoritism

Copied from an earlier post in the thread but updated.

Quote:
How I'd rank the animes I've seen. (Just alphabetical within tier, no ranks)

Tier 1:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Tier 2:

Attack on Titan
Deadman Wonderland
The Miyazaki films I've seen
One Punch Man
Parasyte: the Maxim
Puella Magi Madoka Magicka
Seven Deadly Sins
Soul Eater

Tier 3:

Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist
Trigun

Tier 4:

Sword Art Online
~Dysole, who leans toward the sci-fi/fantasy end of anime and also has a hard time with any long running series
Old December 10th, 2016, 12:28 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Thank you @Dysole . I have, I'm sure, read that list before but it has been a while since I have read through this whole thread. Thank you for repeating it.

There are a few on there that are on my to-finish list. Others I'll have to check out. I am a bit surprised to see Full Metal Alchemist so low on the list and :Brotherhood so high. I have only started the first one. I'm looking forward to Brotherhood that much more now.

I love the Miyazaki films.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old December 10th, 2016, 03:36 PM

My Take

Watched Brotherhood first. I can not recall watching a series where after it ended, everything felt so complete. Original FMA I ended up watching later and a lot of the earlier stuff that Brotherhood doesn't delve into really deeply is exceptionally well done. When it starts to veer off from the manga is where it started to hurt for me. (although there were two things the series did from that point that I thought were really well done)

~Dysole, who could talk for hours about why she likes certain anime
Old December 10th, 2016, 03:56 PM

Re: My Take

Quote:
Watched Brotherhood first. I can not recall watching a series where after it ended, everything felt so complete. Original FMA I ended up watching later and a lot of the earlier stuff that Brotherhood doesn't delve into really deeply is exceptionally well done. When it starts to veer off from the manga is where it started to hurt for me. (although there were two things the series did from that point that I thought were really well done)

~Dysole, who could talk for hours about why she likes certain anime
I think I'll finish FMA first then do Brotherhood. I'm thinking of making them next on my watch list, after I finish SAO.

I do think that I remembered what my first anime was, or the one that got me into anime. I believe that it was Elfen Lied. I really enjoyed this one for reasons that I can't quite put my finger on. It touched me on some level that most don't. It does have a bit of nudity in it though and is pretty heavy on the violence. I highly recommend this one if you don't mind the mature content. Anyone else seen this one?

If not that one then it was Claymore, another good but violent one. Not up to Elfen Lied standards though, imho.

Old December 10th, 2016, 04:02 PM

I Probably Can't

I've thought about Elfen Lied and the premise intrigues me, but I've stayed away for my reason of "second hand feelings". I feel things pretty deeply and if something is just "too real" for me, I just can't watch it. (e.g. I couldn't get past episode 2 of Jessica Jones because that show just made people's suffering too real and too unbearable for me) Funnily enough, if it's really alien for me to grasp like Parasyte or is just too far removed a la Attack on Titan's chomping down on people, then I am usually fine. In some ways, I can handle an arm getting ripped out easier than getting a finger chopped off. It's weird, but from what I've seen of Elfen Lied there's a good chance I just wouldn't be able to finish it. Who knows?

~Dysole, noting that Deadman Wonderland was another one of those who managed to make its gore removed enough for her to enjoy (although there was one scene where she pretty much couldn't watch)
Old December 10th, 2016, 06:30 PM

Yeah, that would be a tough call then. Apart from the violence, there is also this whole weird attachment you get to the one responsible for most of the violence too. I don't know, it's hard to explain, but it is well done.

Deadman Wonderland looks/sounds intriguing

Old December 10th, 2016, 06:38 PM

Heads Up

The anime Deadman Wonderland does kind of just end at a weird place. The manga kept going and I tracked it down and it is one of my favorite endings and resolution of a few character arcs ever. If you watch the anime, I highly recommend going and finding the manga and finishing it.

~Dysole, who was not kidding that she could go on and on about the anime she loves (this holds regardless of entertainment mode)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies