Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old May 17th, 2007, 02:13 AM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
The Book of Heavy Gruts

The Book of Heavy Gruts
Dawn of Darkness - Collection 6 - "Shades and Orcs"

Spoiler Alert!
If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: A MacDirk warrior swings for the head of his Grut enemy, only to have his blade deflected by the orc's armored forearm. Another swing converges with the Grut's shoulder. The MacDirk's blade is stuck, wedged between two plates of bronze armor. Never had Liam MacDirk faced off against such a well-trained warrior. The Gruts fight in numbers; that is their strength. And yet this one orc soldier has just felled three of Liam's comrades, and Liam was poised to be next. Frantically he tugs at his sword, trying desperately to loose it from the Grut's shoulder. It does not budge. The Grut methodically turns his head, looking at the weapon caught in his armor. He then looks up and into the frightened eyes of Liam MacDirk. The Grut's face twists into a snarled smile as he downs MacDirk number four. The Heavy Gruts are not gifted their armor. It is earned, specially crafted for each member of the Heavy Gruts after he have proven his worthiness on the field of battle. (Hasbro)

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • - ORC CHAMPION BONDING : How Many Orc Champions
    How does Orc Champion Bonding work? Can I take a turn with all the Orc Champions I control first?
    No, you can take a free (move & attack) turn with any one Orc Champion you control before taking a turn with
    the Heavy Gruts. (Hasbro FAQ)

Synergy Benefits Received
  • - GRIMNAK / TORNAK : Orc Warrior Enhancement
    As Orc Warriors, Heavy Gruts may benefit from Grimnak and Tornak’s ORC WARRIOR ENHANCEMENT attack
    and defense bonus.

- NERAK THE GLACIAN SWOG RIDER : Orc Defensive Aura 1
    As Orcs, Heavy Gruts may benefit from Nerak the Glacian Swog Rider’s ORC DEFENSIVE AURA 1.

- ORNAK : Orc Battle Cry Aura
    As Orc Warriors, Heavy Gruts may benefit from Ornak’s ORC BATTLE CRY AURA attack ability.

Synergy Benefits Offered
  • - ORC CHAMPION BONDING : Orc Champion Units
    • Grimnak
    • Nerak the Glacian Swog Rider
    • Ornak
    • Tornak

C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
[spoiler]
Synergy Benefits Offered

Orc Champion Bonding: Hrognak

Synergy Benefits Received

Hrognak: Orc Movement Aura
As Orcs, Heavy Gruts can boost their movement with Hrognak's Aura.

[B]Heavy Gruts- With a strong showing at GenCon 2009, it's clear that the Heavy Gruts don't mess around. A

OEAO: A

Cleon: Tier 9 (12/208)

dok (VC inclusive): A

Master Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel
Heavy Gruts
General Discussion and Analysis http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5152

Unit Strategy Review
  • - TBA

Last edited by lefton4ya; January 26th, 2023 at 02:38 PM.
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:45 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
While they've been a long time coming, these guys generally work better with ol' Chompy than the original Blade Gruts (which is impressive considering how well the former worked). Trading the Movement point that they often wasted to stay adjacent for an additional attack and defense, this group is likely to hit harder, and stay around longer when marching our favorite squad munching dinosaur down the field.

I also have to mention that I think these are a better buy for people who don't want to buy multiple packs of commons (blasphemous, but often necessary). A squad of Heavy Gruts will add far more to the original MasterSet than a squad of Blade Gruts, IMO.
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
Me too.
Me three (that is to say, I have three). Their high defense (for gruts) means that they will not likely be wiped out by grenades, Explosion or Shotgun Blast.

Old July 24th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
My son likes to play Grut armies and these guys have completely replaced the blade gruts in any army he makes. He says he will take two squads of the Heavy Gruts over 3 of the Blade Gruts any day (almost the same point value). Poor little blade gruts have been relegated to the storage box.

Oh and we have 3 sets of these -- I guess there is a count thing going on.
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I tkae Blade Gruts when I want to swarm and don't care about dying, Heavy Gruts when I want to really hit hard and withstand the backlash.
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Well, I only have 1 set, and I'm happy with it! Or at least I will be when I get 2 Grut Orcs and 2 Knights & the Swog. I'd like to have a ratio of 2:1 Blade/Heavy. Though I may end up getting more once I want more Knights, and then more Archers to go with my extra Swogs, and then more Heavy Gruts to stick with my Melee Grut Ratio.

It's a vicious cycle.
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:18 PM

he_who_makes_you_wet has disabled reputation
Orc Orc Orc

I play this team for an efficient anti-squad, melee gang. Marker 1 on Ornak, red flag Grimnak and Brunak, carry Ornak forward. Marker 2 on Heavy Gruts, Bond either the Chomper or Flagbearer up, huddle Orcs around chomper, and swing for 4 dice per grut, 5 with height, plus within 2 LOS of Ornak, utgar symbols count as skulls. At my table, Utgar dice are very, very good to use with chomper strengthened orcs. I maneuvered this around a Charos that got too close and killed him in the single marker round that he flew in. I did not lose a single orc.
Think orcs = pigs, and use them like riot police; beat back mobs.

~Cheyenne

"Whoever appeals the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward, Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven."
Such is the rule of Honor
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:57 PM

SoulfulKillingMachine has disabled reputation
I recommend them because they're arguably the only orc common that doesn't need to be common, which helps casual players like me. But I can't say what's best for big boys with big maps and big armies.
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:30 PM
has been BANNED

The Super Atheist is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
does 2 squads work good? one teamed with grimnak and the other with ornak?

I'm thinking of getting ornak and i already have 2 squads of heavies. and i get like 10-12 dollars a week for cutting grass so it's not like i can buy alot, i must decide.
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:49 PM

Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
One squad works very well, but I'm sure two would be even better. Unfortunately, I only have one squad, but they rock! Heavies+Ornak have taken down a lot for me. One time they cut down the Izumi, Kozuke, and NoTNW, plus my last orc dealt 2 wounds to syvarris.
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
These are great for 70 points Iwish I could get 3 more packs

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:43 AM

DeadEye is surprisingly tart
I was playing just last night using the exact same team as he_who_makes_you_wet was. I had

Grimnak-120
Heavies-70
Brunak-110
Ornak-100
Tornak-100

I first used Ornaks. Battle cry to move up Brunak (who carried Ornak) and Tornak. The blade gruts soon followed with Grimnak. It was totall inhiallation for my opponent. My heavies were almost unbeatable with Grimnak and Tornak close by. an once i got eh deffence and attack glyph they culdnt be beat.

DeadEye

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units