Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old July 25th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: 100 lbs in 1 calendar year

Congrats Mark! It's always great to hear about people winning the battle of the bulge! As a personal trainer I helped a couple people lose a lot of weight including two different women who lost 100lbs. I personally have juggled my weight all my life, it is an ongoing battle.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Congrats Markwars, that is incredibly awesome what you did. I've been walking more lately with the kids after work, but now I'm inspired to do more in the exercise department and watch what I eat. Thanks for sharing your success story.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

When I first heard about your weight loss, I felt, ehhh about it one year ago.

A couple months later, I thought well I could really use some trimming down, being obese myself.

Whic is when you inspired me 2 months ago, to start cutting down, and getting into shape.
I've always had this thing called White Coat Syndrome, it's where whenever I visit my doctor, my Blood Pressure goes through theroof. This has been proven several times.It was about a year ago, that I started to really know I needed to get heathy.
I had a growth plate in my hip slip off the area it was suppose to be in.
[This is a lot of pain, trust me.] The doctor told me its because of my weight that this had happend. When I need to get two pins into the hip, the doctor put the pins in to far. Whic caused them to touch a nerve. This is never a good sign, and caused me to be in a huge amount of pain for a complete year. They had to leave them in, because otherwise taking them out could have caused damage to the hip.

So I've started walking about 2 miles a day.[I find 3:30 the best time to walk, because it's cool,and no one bothers me]

I am now on a diet of 700-1000 Calories a day, and I have lost about 20 pounds. It's starting to get harder to lose it, but I'm not going to give up.

I have now been lifting weights, and can lift a whole lot more, and now my breathing has gotten better.

So, what can I say Markwars, you have inspired me, and changed my quality of life. No amount of Rep in the world can say how greatful I am toward you.You have really changed my life around.Tears of joy,I assure you!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm going straight over to the Title Nomination Thread and nominate you for the title of "Biggest Loser", and I mean that in the sincerest, most inspirational way possible.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Forum Moderator

ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby!

Wow.

I had heard bits and pieces of this going for a while but I wasn't sure exactly what your story was. After reading it, all I can say is way to go, man! That's an amazing and inspiring tale and if I may say, you look great! The story gave me many "wow" moments and the pictures just did it again. Congratulations, markwars.

The part that really stood out for me, little as it may be, is when you mentioned getting 7-8 hours of sleep every night. I've had terrible sleep habits since I hit middle school and they seem to have gotten worse over the years. Now, granted I'm only 17 but I've been told over and over that this would catch up with me and I can't deny that I can feel it. My mother has pointed out many times and I've finally accepted that my sleep habits are the cause of a lot of "health" issues I may have. For example, it's usually pretty easy for me to get sick, even if it's just catching a cold. Also, the one thing that every teenager worries about, it can have an effect on your skin. Yes, pimples. These along with the constant feelings of laziness and exhaustion can really make you look at yourself and your habits. And the worst of it, and most relevant at the moment, is that I would get hungry when I stayed up late. So I'd eat, and I'd usually fall asleep right there, right after I ate. That's not such a good thing to do.

Last year I was at about 190 pounds in December. Which didn't seem TOO bad, but it certainly was above average. It wasn't hard at all to believe, seeing as I was always too tired to do anything to active and every night I ate right before falling asleep. It was about this time that I started taking advantage of my school's new weight room. I'd stay after school about 3 days a week and hit up the gym. Everyone was very helpful and encouraging and I had a workout set up in no time. I followed that until the end of the school year. I got back down to an average weight and, my favorite result, built up some serious guns. I just looked and felt fit in every way. And it's an awesome feeling.

When you feel like that it's hard to do things like you used to. I noticed immediately after I started that my eating habits changed. Instead of going to McDonald's all the time, we'd go to Subway, or grab a salad. Working out also got me on a normal sleep schedule. I'd be worn out from the gym so it was easy to get to bed at a decent time. I was really loving it.

And then summer came. I haven't been to the gym once. I did check out the schedule, I know when I COULD go, I just don't. Also, although I'm getting over 8 hours of sleep on most occasions, I'm staying up until early morning. I mean, it's been like 8-9 am a few times (lucky I usually don't work until later). My schedule is all out of whack and in my opinion, just ridiculous. And now it's hard to break those habits. I look different, and although I'm still at an average weight and all, I don't feel at all in shape. It used to be easy, when I was younger I played sports year round. Now that I have to make an effort I'm just not doing it.

Reading your story just made all this seem so...petty. It's embarrassing, really. What am I crying about? I'm a kid, and the only thing stopping me from doing anything is just me being lazy!

So thank you, Markwars. I haven't gotten this all out before and it feels good to speak my mind. As you can see your story has inspired a lazy 17 year old to get off his butt and quit complaining. Reading this just made the tick go off in my head.

Thank you sir, and again congrats!

Guess who's back, back again? Chilli's back. Tell Skahen.
Old July 26th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Zorgophlats knows what's in an order marker Zorgophlats knows what's in an order marker

Mark, will you be my trainer?

About me:
Age = 28
Height = 5'9"
Weight = 232.7

I've been pretty sedate for the past several years. I haven't cared to do anything physical. Reading your story has inspired me to try to do something. I even took pictures of myself just now, and I'm not happy with what I see.

Click, if you dare.
Spoiler Alert!

What I lack most is enthusiasm and support from those around me. They keep talking about dieting and working out as well. But when the talk stops, nothing happens. I'd like to keep a workout diary here, to get support from somewhere. If nothing else, I hope to encourage others to do what you did.

Last edited by Zorgophlats : Prenember 86th, 2079 at 42:96 ZM. Reason: enasni eht stalhpogroz
Old July 26th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby!

Hey Markwars, congratulations and thanks for posting this. I sent this thread to a friend (he doesn't visit this site) who is struggling with losing weight.

Very inspirational.
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:06 AM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

As one of my favorite members around here, Zorgo, I genuinely wish you the best at getting healthier. You can do it!

Same goes for you, Onacara.
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorgophlats View Post
Mark, will you be my trainer?

About me:
Age = 28
Height = 5'9"
Weight = 232.7

I've been pretty sedate for the past several years. I haven't cared to do anything physical. Reading your story has inspired me to try to do something. I even took pictures of myself just now, and I'm not happy with what I see.

What I lack most is enthusiasm and support from those around me. They keep talking about dieting and working out as well. But when the talk stops, nothing happens. I'd like to keep a workout diary here, to get support from somewhere. If nothing else, I hope to encourage others to do what you did.
I think where a lot of people fail is in two areas. Having a good support system around them to help and encourage you, especially when you hit a rut. That support is huge. The second thing is to not think of it as a diet, but a lifestyle change. If it's a diet, then as soon as you hit your target, what happens? You stop dieting because you reached your goal. If it's a lifestyle change, and you hit your target, what happens? You've made a lifestyle change and it just keeps going.

And the thing markwars mentioned about journaling all your food? That is a huge step in the right direction. Once you realize how many calories you need to sustain yourself through one day, and then see how many you're actually consuming, it's eyeopening . I found that to be one of the easiest methods of controlling weight loss in the "food" realm. And I must admit, as I'm sure markwars would attest, it becomes quite addictive logging your food and counting calories. It really does.

In the "exercise" realm, you just gotta do what you really like to do. If it's running, then run, or if it's biking, then bike. Whatever it is, as long as you like it, then you're more apt to do it. But do start out with walking, if nothing else. 30 minutes a day is what you need at a minimum. I'm being overly simplistic right now, I know, but most people fail these things because they try to do everything in one fell swoop. You put it on one pound at a time and it comes off the same way.

And I would also add that a diary helps, too. Logging how you feel before you workout, and then how you feel after is a great tool toward success. When you don't feel like doing it one day, you can look at the journal and see that you always feel better when you do do it. That can motivate.

And just to clarify, I'm not spouting information to hear myself talk, or type; I studied nutrition and exercise physiology during colllege and got my degree in kinesiology.

Perhaps starting something like the Hangout (that the kiddoes have) for all the Weight Control people would be a good idea? A place to go and vent or speak or post results of any kind. I don't know how to do something like that, but I'm sure it'd be huge to have the support of all the other guys here at heroscapers.com that markwars has inspired.

Last thing, good luck Zorgo.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker

Fantastic work MarkWars! Much +rep for you my friend.

If it's ok with you I'd like to print this out and light a flame under some of my clients to get serious about their diet. They're good under my eyes but I can't always be with them to walk past a McGreasy's.

Many, many congrats on your achievement. The photos are stunning proof of what hard work and discipline can do.

"There's something exceptionally satisfying in dropping Mimring in round one."

Expand your horizons. Terrain maps from Cavalier.
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Beware the Curse

boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker

Well, you story has refired the engine of another overweight member who has struggled with his weight, thank you very much. I am constantly sickened by the praise we heap on celebrities who are worshipped for losing wieght/staying in shape thanks to their wonderful personal trainers, private chefs, home gyms, etc. . To be reminded that one of us common folk (I'm assuming you're not a celebrity here) can achieve fantastic results with just hard work and determination was such an incentive to me that I went out walking again this morning.

Three months ago, I started running with coworkers before our shift. After two months, I stopped going using the 5:00 am start time as an excuse. Your story shows that excuses have no room in the quest to become healthy. Come Monday, I'll be back out there with them, running towards a longer life. Thanks dude, I hope to have happy news to report to you sometime next year.

Good trades: Oogie Da Bruce, EyeOfSauron, Lilnewbie, rodriguez, Jaz1597(x2), GeneralRolando, SlikkRikk, BIGJIM, Lord Pyre

All new 'scapers, check this out:
http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:44 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker

Markwars, you are amazing. Keep up the good work.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General