Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Notices

Old September 11th, 2018, 09:53 PM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun
Giant Sized Scape Battles

So this was something @Yodaking @ALEXAN2507 and I were discussing the other night.
Heroscape has always put a normal human at about 5 hexes tall. But what if 5 hexes instead meant 5 stories? What if a 6-hex asphalt tile represented a whole city block?

Generally the idea of giant monsters, robots, and other characters being represented in a different smaller scale is something I've never seen before, but I think there's a lot of potential there. Imagine a tiny city with 1-hex buildings and tiny cars serving as the backdrop for a whole new kind of smash-up, with Godzilla, Optimus Prime, King Kong, and Gypsy Danger all duking it out.

One idea I had would be that every item in the world would be represented by a DO that had an "occupancy" number that represented how many tiny people were inside. You could play a game where some kaiju come and try to smash up the city, and the heroic team would have to defend it.

Has something like this been done before? If not, would it be something people would be interested in?
Old September 12th, 2018, 12:08 AM
Doesn't Drink the Kool-Aid (Eats the Catsup)

ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Giant Sized Scape Battles

Bump thread because this is a cool idea I'd like to have a play with at some point that isn't 5:10 AM

What's up with claymation?
Old September 12th, 2018, 12:59 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I like your idea for keeping count on casualties as a potential game form. I imagine some people will want to draft a mixed army of villains and heroes, then just play to beat the opponent like normal, but a alternate game format could be attackers vs. defenders where the attackers can still win if they kill enough civilians or destroy enough DO buildings.

As for unit options, I think in addition to the huge monsters and robot types you could also have little tanks, helicopters, & jets buzzing about in defense of the city too. I think their are some games out their with the scale we would need to find the minis. Even if you just used little tanks/planes from a board game like Axis & Allies or something.

We should start up a list of characters that would first be in the scale being discussed, then see what kind of mini options there are for each of them.

King Kong
Godzilla Universe Monsters
Pacific Rim - figures available!
Voltron
Transformers
Attack on Titan
Rampage
WH40K Epic Scale Titans
Old September 12th, 2018, 01:01 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I don't know if a Mod can move the whole thread or not, but I think this would be better placed in the Misc Customs Project Forum.
Old September 12th, 2018, 01:18 AM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I don't know if a Mod can move the whole thread or not, but I think this would be better placed in the Misc Customs Project Forum.
I did wonder where the best section would be...sorry!
Quote:
As for unit options, I think in addition to the huge monsters and robot types you could also have little tanks, helicopters, & jets buzzing about in defense of the city too. I think their are some games out their with the scale we would need to find the minis. Even if you just used little tanks/planes from a board game like Axis & Allies or something.
Now this is a cool idea! I don’t know much about minis that small, but I’ll look into it.
Quote:
We should start up a list of characters that would first be in the scale being discussed, then see what kind of mini options there are for each of them.

King Kong
Godzilla Universe Monsters
Pacific Rim - figures available!
Voltron
Transformers
Attack on Titan
Rampage
WH40K Epic Scale Titans
Without getting too ambitious here, I think there’s a lot of options as long as there’s figures. Megazords would be cool. So would some Marvel and DC figures actually, like Galactus or Giant-Man. I feel like taking on guys their own size could lend to something very different from the C3G versions. I’m not a huge anime fan, but I know there’s a ton of giant robots to work from there. AoT like you mentioned, Evangelion, and Gurren Lagaan just to name a few.
I guess it all just depends on what there are figures for!
Old September 12th, 2018, 12:08 PM
C3G Landlord

I was thinking a bit about the specific scale we should be shooting for and I think we should just base it around those Pacific Rim clix figures. The small tanks and planes board game pieces I'm thinking of will fit in great with that scale, with maybe 3 tanks on a single hex base. I'll try to pull out some different things I already have on hand and take pics on a Scape board in the next few days. Buildings won't be too hard to make since at their simplest form they will just be small boxes with some art glued/painted on.
Old September 12th, 2018, 01:35 PM
C3G Landlord

I remember seeing some things at Miniature Market that might be in scale before so I'm browsing that site now and will post up any ideas I spot here. I do not have any of this stuff in hand though and can not say for sure how they scale with the Pacific Rim figures clix made.

Axis & Allies: (most are out of stock and some are really expensive, but here are some cheaper options)

Since they attack from the sea in Pacific Rim and Godzilla navy ships could could be a fun addition. Toss one on a single water hex and watch Godzilla topple it with a Tidal Wave.

$1.25/each
War at Sea #46 Luca Tarigo

$1.50/each

War at Sea #10 HMS Javelin

Some planes come in packs of 3, which would be perfect for us to have on a single hex. King Kong can swat them out of the air!

$4/each
Task Force #44 Ju-87 R2 Picchiatelli

$5/each
Task Force #09 Barracuda Mk. II

Monsterpocalypse Series 2: I Chomp NY Monster Mega Pack
(Some generic Monsters in a box that look like what we are talking about here.)
$20/box
This looks like it is a building for the game but looks a little small to me, still could be worth having as building come in different sizes:

$4/each - Monsterpocalypse Series 4: Monsterpocalypse Now Map Pack (Clearance)

This line has some pre-order building in the table top mini's section that look pretty great but are expensive for what they are. I'll most likely just stick to making my own building at these prices.

$12.79/each - Monsterpocalypse: Power Plant (Preorder)

Dropzone Commander

For those looking to drop some money on premade buildings, this game has some pretty great looking ones.

$12.79 each - Plast Craft Colored: Dropzone Commander - Corporation Building

$18.69 each - Plast Craft Colored: Dropzone Commander - Twin Pyramids

This game also has some interesting futuristic/sci-fi and alien units that might work for the scale we are talking about. You'll just have to browse the site if you are looking for something specific.

All Quiet on the Martian Front
(everything is out of stock at MM, but I didn't know there was a Mars attacks themed game in this size. Might be able to find the minis elsewhere)

$27/each - out of stock - Gatherer Tripod

Dystopian Wars: Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - ZB2 Burza Class Bombard (6) (Clearance)

$6 for a 6 pack of little tanks. That seems more reasonable to me. Might need a coat of paint.

I don't know the exact scale here but I was looking into buying this box set back in the day, just never pulled the trigger.

$21 - Robotech RPG Tactics: UEDF - Tomahawk/Defender Destroids Pack (4) (Clearance) - unpainted

Alright, the thing I went looking for on Miniature Market is something they no longer carry, but I figured out what it was called. The game is Age of Destruction. I found another site that still sells it, these are what some of the minis look like.

Last edited by Yodaking; September 12th, 2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old September 12th, 2018, 02:31 PM
C3G Landlord

While mini options are fun to look at, we should start talking about some of the rule mechanics too.

You mentioned before about wanting to use C3G's knockback rules here. I can see that here but unless everyone is only rolling a couple of die each they would need to be modified to fit our needs. I prefer rolling more attack and defense dice, it provides us with more room to show off the different power levels and makes for a wider range of interesting special powers. For example, I'd rather have a King Kong that rolls 6-7 attack dice, and a tank that shoots 2 attack dice, then a King Kong that only rolls 4 attack dice and a tank that shoots 1. So if we are rolling 6-7 attack dice, then I don't think King Kong should be able to knock back Godzilla more than 1 or 2 spaces but I believe in the C3G rules you could send a monster flying 4-5 spaces where 2-3 spaces could be a city block.
Old September 12th, 2018, 02:57 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

This looks like a fun idea, especially if it ends up combining all sorts of crazy stuff like Godzilla, aliens, and Power Rangers. I just wanted to drop in and give some thoughts:

Quote:
You mentioned before about wanting to use C3G's knockback rules here. I can see that here but unless everyone is only rolling a couple of die each they would need to be modified to fit our needs. I prefer rolling more attack and defense dice, it provides us with more room to show off the different power levels and makes for a wider range of interesting special powers. For example, I'd rather have a King Kong that rolls 6-7 attack dice, and a tank that shoots 2 attack dice, then a King Kong that only rolls 4 attack dice and a tank that shoots 1. So if we are rolling 6-7 attack dice, then I don't think King Kong should be able to knock back Godzilla more than 1 or 2 spaces but I believe in the C3G rules you could send a monster flying 4-5 spaces where 2-3 spaces could be a city block.
Personally, I greatly prefer lower quantities of dice. If King Kong had 4 dice compared to 1 for every tank, for example, then that gives a lot more weight to other methods of getting dice, such as abilities or gaining height (in whatever form that might take). The generally lower dice amounts in classic HeroScape are one of the reasons that I enjoy it so much. Sure, there are figures like Jotun with 8 attack, but for the most part, it's pretty consistent, which makes those rarer instances feel more notable.

It's of course largely a personal preference on how many dice to roll, but I just wanted to give the other perspective on why less dice could be an option.

As for knockback rules, you could easily rule that you can only ever knockback a figure by 1 space, to prevent kicking someone out of a city. Alternatively, you could integrate it into the designs themselves. King Kong could easily use one of his abilities as a way of knocking back enemies after attacking and still leave him room for a climbing special power or the like.
Old September 12th, 2018, 03:35 PM
C3G Landlord

Yeah, I could see the knock back/down power being a special power only on certain cards.
Old September 12th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Just A Head

Yeah, I was thinking C3G rules for knockback and throwing could be a good basis, but we might need to change things a tiny bit depending on how things work.

I prefer more dice being rolled personally, at least for the bigger monsters.

How accurate should we be to scale? Obviously we have to work with whatever miniatures are available. Personally, I'm not too huge of a stickler. According to this chart the Jaegers from Pacific Rim are REALLY big. I was more imagining Godzilla, Pacific Rim, and the like being 5 hexes tall, and Transformers, etc maybe being 2 or 3 hexes tall.

EDIT: Thanks to whatever mod moved this.

Last edited by MrNobody; September 12th, 2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old September 12th, 2018, 04:50 PM
C3G Landlord

Yeah, I think Megatron & Optimus Prime will be around 1/2 as tall as the Pacific Rim figures and King Kong/Godzilla figures, anything we can find in that size range would be useable. They are big compared to humans but not as massive in size as those monsters. Not sure what toy options are out there for transformers in that small of a scale, I feel like I've seen some Christmas tree ornaments that might have been about that size. Maybe something from a Transformers board game or a key chain?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum