Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Notices

Old August 21st, 2019, 05:12 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Re: Index of Classic Heroscape .stl files

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarentx View Post
Can you tell me the brand of the spray on matte finish that you used for your figures. If I can find some locally in Canada, maybe I can contribute to the scanning process. Can you tell me the scanning program that you use. I have almost every figure except Aquilla's alliance.
Krylon K01310 11-Ounce Dulling Spray

Steps
1) Spray the figures with the dulling spray and let them dry.

2) Set up your photography area.
- put newspaper print or magazine picture or some other non-repeating dull (not shiny) picture paper onto a table surface
- add good lighting all around the table, pointing at the center of the paper
- add 1 to 4 figures to the center of the paper (if they are all very similar, you might want to mix and match squads or turn them all the same direction so the software doesn't get confused)
- if you have a nice camera, you'll want to use a small tripod. Set the aperature to around 25, set the ISO to 200, and set the shutter speed to something that makes the figures nice and bright (but not washed out). I usually use 1/8.
- if you have a cell phone, ignore the settings but make sure you hold it steady and keep all the figures in focus

- take 40 to 50 pictures of the figures all 360 degrees around (front, back, and sides). I keep the same distance and angle from the ground, but that is not necessary.

3) Save the pictures to computer

4) Install 3DF Zephyr Free version
- open 3DF Zephyr
- First thing you want to do in 3DF Zephyr is go to the Tools tab, Options, and about half-way down check "Enable Ultra Preset"
- Go to the Workflow tab and select New Project
- Check both Generation options (Compute 3D model and compute texture). You might not need computer texture, so feel free to leave that off and try it. Textures are for displaying colors for online games.

- Add your pictures.
- Camera orientation:
Category: Close Range
Presets: Exhaustive
- Dense point cloud:
Presets: Ultra
- Surface Reconstruction:
Presets: Ultra
- Texturing presets (don't change)

- RUN
- it will take up to 12 hours to create a model

- After the analysis finishes, use the edit tools to delete the background around the figures to make the file smaller.- Save the model (File->Save)

- Export the .obj (Export->Export Textured Mesh). Change "upload to Sketchfab" to "export .obj".

The .obj files are what I clean up to make the .stl files.

Feel free to help with all this process or just part (taking pictures, or running 3DF Zephyr). I have a bunch of photos I took that I need to run through 3DF Zephyr. But there are figures I don't have for which I need photos.

Thanks!
Old August 22nd, 2019, 08:38 AM

bmarentx is surprisingly tart

Great, I will look into finding that brand of dulling spray, or something similar. I will do a test on some RoTV squads, because I have lots of doubles, until I get the hang of it.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 03:14 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Great, I will look into finding that brand of dulling spray, or something similar. I will do a test on some RoTV squads, because I have lots of doubles, until I get the hang of it.
Sounds good. Supposedly it cleans off easily, but I'm too busy taking more pictures that I haven't tried to clean mine yet.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 03:16 PM

New Deathstalker file:

Deathstalkers squad

Old August 22nd, 2019, 04:28 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Sounds good. Supposedly it cleans off easily, but I'm too busy taking more pictures that I haven't tried to clean mine yet.
I would imagine that the figures would look even better with a more matte finish anyway. Anytime I seal my painted minis the matte coat looks way better and more natural than if you would use gloss or semi gloss.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 23rd, 2019, 05:35 PM

Elementals

Air Elemental (matte)
Earth Elemental (matte)
Fire Elemental (matte)
Water Elemental (matte)

Old August 23rd, 2019, 05:55 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Very cool!
Please post pics of prints of those when you can. Is there a clear-ish option for printing?
Old August 23rd, 2019, 06:07 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Very cool!
Please post pics of prints of those when you can. Is there a clear-ish option for printing?
You could always print them with the colored transparent filament and just paint the base.

Old August 23rd, 2019, 06:07 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Very cool!

Clear-ish or not depends on your feedstock, doesn't it?

~Chris

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old August 23rd, 2019, 06:09 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Very cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Elementals

Air Elemental (matte)
Earth Elemental (matte)
Fire Elemental (matte)
Water Elemental (matte)

Great job on these WK. You just keep getting better and better. Keep it up and Ill be forced to buy a resin printer for all these.

Old August 23rd, 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Very cool!
I've used transparent PET before. It's somewhat cloudy do to bubbles, but it looks good to me and you can stain it with an acrylic paint wash. (see pics below)

There is a transparent PLA, but I haven't tried it yet.

Old August 23rd, 2019, 10:23 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Awesome thanks.
Is that Jar Jar? Binks must be the fifth element.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing