Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old November 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
The OP has an update from 10/11/12. I think it was PMed or something and didn't get posted in the thread. My bad on that....
Ah, now it clicks. My "my bad" came first, looks like.

Quote:
Updated 10/11/12

Logged 1Mmirg: NtI Arboretum.
Logged mad_wookiee: NtR Booby Traps, NtR Swamp Dog, YtI Stygian Rift
Logged lonewolf: NtR Rising Pressure, NtR Booby Traps, YtI Stygian Rift, YtI Sirocco.
Removed Booby Traps from Pending Acceptance for Review.
Removed Arboretum from review.
Stygian Rift and Sirocco have been inducted into the Battlefields of Valhalla.

Maps pending acceptance for review:

Rising Pressure by Killometer
YES = 3 (1Mmirg, Dignan, mad_wookiee) ; NO = 1 (lonewolf) ; PENDING = 2 (ollie, nyys)

Swamp Dog by GTigers55
YES = 0 ; NO = 1 (mad_wookiee) ; PENDING = 5 (1Mmirg, Dignan, lonewolf, ollie, nyys)

Maps currently being reviewed:

Trepidation by Dignan
Yes = 0 ; NO = 1 (1Mmirg) ; PENDING = 4 (mad_wookiee, lonewolf, ollie, nyys) *Dignan removed as map creator

Last edited by UtahScott; November 5th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Optimal size of tabletops, based on BOV maps

Hey all:

I recently figured out how large a tabletop you would need for most BOV maps. I decided to share my research in the general forum, you can find the thread here.

I don't know if you were aware of this, but every map in the BOV except for Marr Highway has a width of 32 inches or less. The length varies but only Marr Highway and Mole Hills are over 41 inches.

Intent? Or just coincidence? Who knows.
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:34 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Heh, that's good to know.

Kroc, do you have any sense for how many horizontal spaces the average BoV map has (i.e., its surface area)?
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Hah! All this time I've been considering nominating Trepidation as my first BoV nomination and I see it's already been done.

I'm phone posting here and couldn't find Mmirg's review, which I'm sure is excellent.

I ran one tournament and played one game with it and I'll share my quick 2 cents.

It is gorgeous on the table. LoS is tricky enough that it's no shooting gallery. The unusual start zones bring something different to competitive Scape. Play, in my one game, ranged across the board.

In short, as a td and as a player I am a big fan of Trepidation.

Thanks for all you do, guys.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:43 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Rising Pressure by Killometer
to review.

Swamp Dog by GTigers55
I can't see this one. Each time the browser opens the part of the screen where the map should populate stays blank.

-insert signature here-
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Swamp Dog by GTigers55
I can't see this one. Each time the browser opens the part of the screen where the map should populate stays blank.
Try this one.
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:15 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedim Kabal View Post
Quote:
Swamp Dog by GTigers55
Try this one.
Drive

You need permission to access this item.
You are signed in as **************@gmail.com, but you don't have permission to access this item. You can request access from the owner or choose a different account.
Learn more
Choose a different account
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:16 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Swamp Dog by GTigers55
Try this one.
Drive

You need permission to access this item.
You are signed in as **************@gmail.com, but you don't have permission to access this item. You can request access from the owner or choose a different account.
Learn more
Choose a different account
Think I fixed it....
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Think I fixed it....
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Re: Optimal size of tabletops, based on BOV maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
Hey all:

I recently figured out how large a tabletop you would need for most BOV maps.

Kroc, I don't know about the current judges, but footprint always figured into my evaluations. It wasn't a dominate criterion, but it was there.
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:01 AM

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Heh, that's good to know.

Kroc, do you have any sense for how many horizontal spaces the average BoV map has (i.e., its surface area)?
Typhoon:

Average surface area: 914 square inches
Median: 874
All but one are less than 1200 (Marr Highway again)
All but 7 are less than 1000
I should mention that to do this calculation properly you should look at the actual footprint of the map. For example Marr Highway is thin and long, it's just that it's thin side is at a slant. So it's actual footprint size is much below the width times hight of it's tabletop, which is how I did this calculation.

But I think horizontal spaces is really the "short side" in my original post. Unless of course you care about orientation. In that case by "horizontal" do you mean the distance where you don't have points on the edge? Rather an esoteric issue don't you think? (Unless, of course, you want to print hexes on your tabletop. Good point.)

In that case you should know that for all except the smallest maps the "Large Side" is the horizontal spaces. So the general calculations can be found from my original post, except I didn't mention the average and median, these are both 33.

Last edited by Kroc; December 12th, 2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Important comments.
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:05 AM

Re: Optimal size of tabletops, based on BOV maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
Hey all:

I recently figured out how large a tabletop you would need for most BOV maps.

Kroc, I don't know about the current judges, but footprint always figured into my evaluations. It wasn't a dominate criterion, but it was there.
(Apologies for unecessary excess posts.)
I suspected as much, but it's still rather amazing how many of them fall so neatly into 32" short side. I know you didn't say "more than 32" wide? Reject!"

(Actually, on double checking, I realized that the reason 32" is so important is all because of Ice Blossom, which is nearly square (large side 34") and has a short side of 32".)

Last edited by Kroc; December 12th, 2012 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Correction

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios