Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Battlestar Galactica

I don't know how I've missed this thread! A couple of suggestions:

1) Yes, either have everyone look at their loyalty card for ten seconds, or read out loud the Cylon cards to everyone before the loyalty deck is shuffled and dealt so that anyone who gets a Cylon card already understands its power at a glance.

2) The best way we've found to speed along the game is this: You may not make accusations, ask people about their loyalty, etc. on your turn. Just move, take your action, and resolve your crisis. Leave the table talk for someone else's turn.

@ CheddarLimbo I think the rules specify in the section on the importance of secrecy that you cannot claim your specific skill cards.

And just for fun, I'm reposting a session report I posted to BGG:

Here's how it happened: Four player game, I'm Helo, and I'm a Cylon. Gaius Baltar, the President, gets a crisis on the first turn of the game that lets him look at someone's loyalty card, and he choses mine. He tells the other two players I'm a Cylon, and they believe him. I make my best attempt to protest my innocence, but I can tell I'm not very convincing. Doesn't matter: I'm Helo, it's turn one, I'm still stranded, and they can't brig me.

Turns go around the table. I do my best to undermine the humans on skill checks. Everyone's sure I'm a Cylon at this point so why bother trying to hide it? We fail a check and lose a point of population.

Meanwhile, I'm watching the jump track: up one notch...up a second notch...yes! My turn comes around and the jump track is on the -3. Helo returns to Galactica (“Hurrah! Helo's alive!”), goes straight to FTL Control and jumps the fleet (“Crap! Helo's a Cylon!”). Someone plays a Strategic Planning card and I make the jump roll. But I'm Helo: I use my reroll ability and fail the second one. Minus three population!

Now, since I haven't officially revealed myself as a Cylon that makes me admiral. I take a good look at our choices of destination and decide to send us into an asteroid field. I pick a civvie to destroy and happen to draw the one with two population icons on it.

So, halfway through the second round the humans had lost half their population. It was all downhill for the humans from there...
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM

SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker

Hahahah! That's great Elstree.

My Recent Plays:
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Wow, way to turn the game around Elstree!

Old May 4th, 2009, 02:06 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
I'd be interested to hear what you mean by that. Into every skill check a selection of random cards are added face down...so I don't see card counting as much of a problem.
As I recall, it was only one or two cards added at random; given that you know who can play what colours, it's not hard to spot the Cylon *really* fast if he's not careful when he helps and when he hinders; a Cylon who tries to have the Humans fail every skill test should be spotted with relative ease.

At least, that was *my* experience of the game.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old May 4th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
As I recall, it was only one or two cards added at random; given that you know who can play what colours, it's not hard to spot the Cylon *really* fast if he's not careful when he helps and when he hinders; a Cylon who tries to have the Humans fail every skill test should be spotted with relative ease.

To me this sounds like a problem with the Cylon player, not a problem with the game.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:46 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elstree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD View Post

To me this sounds like a problem with the Cylon player, not a problem with the game.
Agreed!

Being good at BSG means being subtle. If you're relentless and blatant like that you're going to get found out. The destiny mechanic is designed to give you just enough information to make wild accusations without knowing for sure what's really going on.

Old May 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation

Well, there's nothing in the rules about making sure that only *sneaky* players get to draw a cylon card!

But BSG was a game I liked the *idea* of more than I liked the actual execution, unfortunately.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old June 10th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

New Expansion announced:

Battlestar Galactica: Pegasus

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed...s.asp?eidn=596

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/43539

Newb.
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:03 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie View Post
New Expansion announced:

Battlestar Galactica: Pegasus

That is awesome, I wonder if they will be previewing at Gencon or maybe even selling.
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

If not released before GC, I bet it will be there for prerelease sales.

Newb.
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:24 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie View Post
If not released before GC, I bet it will be there for prerelease sales.

Newb.
Do you need my address so that you know where to ship it to?
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Great news.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games