Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old June 25th, 2019, 10:32 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Leyline Phantoms) - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Riffing on that direction...

When a SPOOKY ALIEN is targeted for a normal attack [from a non-adjacent attacking figure], you may place that SPOOKY ALIEN adjacent to the attacking figure. A SPOOKY ALIEN moving this way will not take leaving engagement attacks.

Any particular reason it needs to be anti-range? Could it just be anti-normal?
It doesn't need to be anti-range, it just felt more thematic to me that way. The same thing goes for making the teleport trigger after a failed attack. I was envisioning a soldier seeing a spooky alien out of the corner of his eye. He shoots at it, but suddenly its gone... a moment passes... then... SUDDENLY ITS RIGHT IN HIS FACE!!!

I felt like this helped bring out more of the horror direction that the design seemed to be aiming toward, but if there are mechanically compelling reasons to try something more along the lines of your suggestion, I think that is the way to go.
Old June 27th, 2019, 07:41 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

When a SPOOKY ALIEN is targeted for a normal attack [from a non-adjacent attacking figure], you may place that SPOOKY ALIEN adjacent to the attacking figure. A SPOOKY ALIEN moving this way will not take leaving engagement attacks.

I'm fine with this version. Letting it work against melee as well makes enough sense to me with their established teleportation, and adding a disengage is necessary to make it work as intended.

I was under the impression that the consensus was for a defensive aspect of such a teleport to make them less frail, but I would be fine with cutting it altogether.

For fleshing out some of the other stats of the card a bit, here's some quick spitballing:

Species:
Xerogs (or some gibberish equivalent)
Illusions or Holograms (if we want to really play on their translucent nature)
Apparitions
Foreigners or Aliens (if we want to avoid making up any words)

Class:
Scouts could play on the idea of them being a small force of aliens scoping out the battlefield for a larger invasion, but that adds Venoc Warlord synergy to a design that's shaping up to be faster than average.
Warriors is always a generic option.
Assassins could match their gameplay style well enough.
If we wanted a heavy sci-fi approach that ties into some kind of a backstory/bio, perhaps Experiments could be interesting.

Personality:
Tricky is a fit, although I think we're likely to see it elsewhere and find that the more designs that have Tricky, the less flavorful it personally feels.
Menacing is a rarely utilized personality that could work well with their intimidating theme.
Tormenting could play on the idea of them being cruel, controlling aliens running experiments on the other figures, but that's more in line with them toying around with the figures than teleporting around and punching many times.
I'm personally fond of some vaguer personality like Mysterious or the like that keeps their intentions unknown, but I could understand apprehension against going that route.

Last edited by Astroking112; June 27th, 2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Ideas for the left box attributes.
Old June 29th, 2019, 08:12 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

I don't have anything against this route. Is moving before attack dice are rolled the mechanical direction you guys want since Targetting happens before attack dice are rolled?

Quote:
BLINK
Before or after moving, you may place a SPOOKY ALIEN on any empty space within 2 spaces of its current location. SPOOKY ALIENS will not take leaving engagement attacks while using Blink.
I like this Blink.

Similarities to the Ninjas of the Northern Wind can probably be drawn from this design direction, but I'd rather we stick true to the theme we want than forcing something different. After all, classic scape literally had this:
https://i.imgur.com/fWTVUlo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SaoIQ5X.jpg

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 30th, 2019, 11:07 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I was under the impression that the consensus was for a defensive aspect of such a teleport to make them less frail, but I would be fine with cutting it altogether.
That was my intent as well, but the ability that seemed to be gaining traction was just a teleport with no defensive quality. We could give them 4 defense if we go that direction (making Move, Attack, and Defense all 4). We might need to pick a preference first and work on it.

Quote:
Species:
Xerogs (or some gibberish equivalent)
Illusions
I prefer something exotic like this. Illusions doesn't work because that's the things Jace will potentially be working with, plus they're real physical beings, just, you know, SPOOKY.

Quote:
Class:
Scouts
If we wanted a heavy sci-fi approach that ties into some kind of a backstory/bio, perhaps Experiments could be interesting.

Scout have several synergies and too many units are Scouts already, IMO. Experiments is an interesting direction: rather than some larger invading species, they've escaped from a space lab?

Quote:
Personality:
Tricky
Menacing is a rarely utilized personality that could work well with their intimidating theme.
Tormenting
Tricky is also overused, and we've already got Jace I with possibly more units down the line. Menacing is a good one. If we go with Experiments, we could also maybe do Tormented, to evoke a certain theme.

Right now I'm looking at something like:
Delnesh (can we not use the letter "x"? It's always used for "alien" species)
Unique Squad
Experiments
Menacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Is moving before attack dice are rolled the mechanical direction you guys want since Targetting happens before attack dice are rolled?
I'm not sure if there are any headaches caused by moving between being targeted and rolling dice. The first thing that comes to mind is a state change between unengaged and engaged, but I don't know that that actually impacts any powers.

Quote:
Similarities to the Ninjas of the Northern Wind can probably be drawn from this design direction, but I'd rather we stick true to the theme we want than forcing something different. After all, classic scape literally had this:
https://i.imgur.com/fWTVUlo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SaoIQ5X.jpg
I was also expecting Johnny/James.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 30th, 2019, 11:38 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Hunters is also an option if we’re on the Xenomorph angle.
Old June 30th, 2019, 02:09 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Gibberish/Unique Squad/Experiments/Menacing is my personal preference for the left box as well, for the reasons that NB and I outlined. I'll probably be fine with any variant of the gibberish. Tormented could fit with the Experiment angle, but I find it to be less fitting for their gameplay style and mysterious nature, so I prefer Menacing in this case.

I'm not a big fan of Hunters. Much like Tricky, I feel like it's been used in enough different contexts that it's beginning to lose some of its meaning, albeit not to the same extent. I could live with it if people would prefer that, though.

For moving between targeting and the attack roll, the immediate and most widely applicable benefit is changing a height advantage to either be neutral or in your favor. I don't think that there should be any rule breaks here (Nakitas established that you can change your target before rolling attack dice, so it seems pretty straightforward to me), but editing will know more on that front.
Old June 30th, 2019, 03:32 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I like a gibberish species for the name/race.

After looking at a name generator these sound promising (no x’s either ).

Scograks
Audak
Munuds
Qhiknads

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 7th, 2019, 01:49 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Qhiknads
Sounds painful.

I don't really have a preference for a particular gibberish, though. But I am always down for a good reference (any sci-fi B-movies with 4-armed aliens?).

I still prefer no-visible-hit-zones-while-OM-revealed for their non-Blink power. As for Blink, just an idea that struck me that I was curious what others thought of:

BLINK
Before or after moving, you may place any or all [Spooky Aliens] on any empty space within 2 spaces of their current placement. [Spooky Aliens] will not take leaving engagement attacks while Blinking.

What if instead of each one Blinking individually before or after moving, you had to choose before or after for all of them at once? Perhaps something to do with the experimentation linking them together, with shades of Wait then Fire for all-or-nothing.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 7th, 2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:

BLINK
Before or after moving, you may place any or all [Spooky Aliens] on any empty space within 2 spaces of their current placement. [Spooky Aliens] will not take leaving engagement attacks while Blinking.

What if instead of each one Blinking individually before or after moving, you had to choose before or after for all of them at once? Perhaps something to do with the experimentation linking them together, with shades of Wait then Fire for all-or-nothing.
It's an interesting thought, but I don't think that it'll really add too much to their playstyle. The main thing that it accomplishes is limiting their mobility (which I'm not a big fan of) by forcing each alien to choose the same time for their teleport. The problem I have is that this doesn't feel like it'll really present a much bigger choice to the player often, other than sometimes trying to leave each alien in a place where they can teleport at the beginning or end of their next turn to avoid wasting the movement. For only 2 spaces, I don't feel like this will be worth the hassle. It's more interesting from a thematic/background perspective with the Experiment class, but I'm not sure that we would need to implement that mechanic into their power so rigidly. The current implementation feels a lot smoother to me.
Old July 8th, 2019, 09:36 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Is there any consensus on the defensive power? This seems to be the last semi-collaborated one:
INTANGIBLE
After a SPOOKY ALIEN rolls defense dice against a normal attack and is not destroyed, it may immediately use its Blink Special Power.

I'd also like if it had Insubstantial 2 (from phantom Knights but +2D) or Tough and maybe you could combine wording in above power:

INTANGIBLE
When rolling defense dice against a normal attack, SPOOKY ALIEN adds 2 additional defense dice. After a SPOOKY ALIEN rolls defense dice against a normal attack and is not destroyed, it may immediately use its Blink Special Power.

This would work against ranged and melee attacks, but not special (going with theme of Phasing out against most guns, arrows, etc. but not Magic or special guns, etc.).
Old July 14th, 2019, 11:43 PM

My preference is for a longer teleport when they're targeted that lets them move adjacent to the attacking figure. Combining it with a weaker Insubstantial is a simple way of giving them a defensive benefit when in that situation, although I would be fine with most methods of achieving that (or even leaving it out of the equation entirely).
Old July 18th, 2019, 02:17 PM

Not a big fan of a third power on these guys, though I acknowledge it may be the best way to get some version of Phase to work. Looks like we have a few different directions that probably need to be compiled and voted on.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs