Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old December 11th, 2006, 10:32 AM

thibon has disabled reputation
Expansion sets purchases

Hi, my son recieved the Heroscape Master Set for his birthday, yesterday. I have purchased several expansion pieces for Christmas. Don't know much about the game. Should I buy the expansion sets complete (wave 1, etc.); or, is it okay to buy the different characters from different waves? Will he want the complete wave set? Will it alter the way the game plays if he has part of one set and then part of another? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Tholarthemag has disabled reputation
You, don't really have to go all out like we do here. Understand that we are addicts. He can play just fine with anything you grab off the shelf. The waves are just that waves. You really don't need to buy everything to have a good time. I would say, let him discover how much he enjoys the game and decide himself how much he wants to buy. The MS alone is good for a beginner for several, several game sessions without getting boring. You can always just buy the Master set and give him a gift card to Wal-mart so he can pick out what expansions he wants for himself. If he is unsure of what to buy, he can come here and any one of us teaming millions will give him free advice.

Braxas can be killed by peanut butter.
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:46 AM

RichardD has disabled reputation
It won't matter a bit.

Different "waves" often have a hero pack which *sometimes* matches one or more of the squads in that wave (Wave 2 - Sir Denrick thge knight, plus the Knights of Westron squad in a different booster from the same wave), but TBH it doesn't matter a jot.

Occasionally you'll end up with squads or heros who would be *more* useful if you had the corresponding unit, but sometimes those pairings are split between different waves anyway (wave 3 Gorillinators working well with wave 5 Nakita Agents, for example).

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old December 11th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Bixby knows what's in an order marker Bixby knows what's in an order marker
You could read this article on Board Game Geek. It is a well written HeroScape Primer.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/90725

This article by Erik Arneson does a great job of helping decide how to approach HeroScape from a purchasing standpoint.

http://boardgames.about.com/od/heroscape/a/terrain.htm

Between the two articles you should be well armed with information to make the decisions you need to make.

Good luck and welcome to the community.
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:30 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
When you're just getting into the game, here's some expansions I strongly suggest:

Wave 2 - Heroes of Barrenspur:

I mostly have to recommend this for Krug. He's great looking, fun to play, and just one of the better quality units in the game. Sir Denrick is simply the iconic Knight in Shining Armor and goes well against Krug and Mimring early on. MeBurqSa is a nice, cheap addition to the Marro that you get with the Masterset. Khosumet isn't a very good unit overall, but he's not a bad unit when you're not playing with a large number of expansions.

Wave 4 - Lawmen & Samurai

The cowboys each add some neat abilities to the game while not requiring a whole lot of outside support. Guilty is a great unit, filler points, but a great unit anyway. Dan is a great unit for taking on the Deathwalkers and James gives you another AoE attacking character at a cheaper cost. The samurai also work well on their own and add a lot to the game without requiring a heavy investment.

Wave 5 - Ninjas and Samurai

Two great squads that don't need a lot of multiples to work well. The Ninja are a great unit with neat abilities and solid stats. The Kosuke Samurai are a great unit to work with the Mastersets Izumi Samurai. These units have a lot of "fun" abilities that really open up creative thinking in the game.

Wave 5 - Gladiators & Agents

The 3 Gladiators are very solid units when you've got a smaller collection. Each one is pretty good on their own, and they make a fun team too. The Nakita Agents make a good second gun unit to expand on the Krav from the Masterset.

The thing about these packs is that most of the units here do well on their own and don't need a lot of other units to fight with them. Buying these packs early adds a lot of fun new units, but doesn't leave you with very many powers that you can't use until you buy more units. They're all very self contained and useful on their own. Other units, like the Wave 1 heroes have powers that reference other cards, making you feel like you're not getting the most of these units until you buy a lot more stuff.

I would also recommend Wave 3's Heroes of Nostralund for the same reason, though it's impossible to find at the moment.
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Don't go overboard until you know this is going to be a long-term hobby. My daughter and I have only been playing for about 6 weeks and I've already spent way too much money on this game. (Castle set, several expansions, another Master Set, a Flag Bearer.) I'm not saying it's not worth it, but I'm saying it's easy to get carried away. If I can be more disciplined about my spending I'd try to hold off on my buying, keeping it to one or two items a month instead of the weekly splurge I'm committing now.
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:33 PM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
GET ORCS FROM WAVE 1 ! ! !
The Master Set comes with Orc Champions that are best played with Orcs. I think that is the only advice for 1st time HS wave buyers. Orcs have a bonding that will let at least 2 figures, (in the Master Set), be used,................MUCH MORE FUN with the orcs!

9 RotV - 4 SotM - 5 DDMS - 2 MarvelScape - 7 RttFF - 6 FotV - 5 VW - 4 TT - 4 TJ - 5 GC Xclusive - 6 FB's - 1,561 Figures - 7,147 Hexes - 174.24% Complete -
(All for just $4,000 BUCKS)
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:34 PM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
I don't know about anyone else, but I would LOVE to find out what the verdict is on your future purchase(s),.........

9 RotV - 4 SotM - 5 DDMS - 2 MarvelScape - 7 RttFF - 6 FotV - 5 VW - 4 TT - 4 TJ - 5 GC Xclusive - 6 FB's - 1,561 Figures - 7,147 Hexes - 174.24% Complete -
(All for just $4,000 BUCKS)
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Dragon4201976 knows what's in an order marker Dragon4201976 knows what's in an order marker
I'm a true addict I have it all and can't live without at least one of everything.... As for your son if he hangs out here with us he will become an addict and you will work alot of overtime to feed his addction.....
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Josef has disabled reputation
Haha, i pretty much pace my buying. Get the ones you think are good (by looking at the site) or that just look cool. The buy more later to fit any ones that might not work perfect on there own.

One reson i like heroscape so much is because I often get tired of things and stop playing, but if I go out and buy a couple at a time i get to buy the ones i think would fit good with what i have, and it changes the game around so i don't get bord.
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:26 PM

Taylor21279 has disabled reputation
I hate to say it, but if you really want to please, provided he enjoys the game as much as we do, you will want to get at least one of every expansion available. Wait on good deals, and please don't get ripped off on the internet. Every expansion has something that works with something else and your son will be able to put together great armies if he has the ability to pick and choose. Good luck, and like dnutt, I would like to see some posts about what you get.

"Show me a Hero, and I'll write you a tragedy" - Fitzgerald

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion