Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old December 27th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
If Theracus uses Carry to place a hero you control onto a treasure glyph, can that figure pick up the glyph?

Or can a hero only pick up a t-glyph on its turn?
Only on its turn. The rule book says that to pick up a treasure glyph a unique hero must end its movement on the treasure glyph. That seems to indicate during the movement phase of its own turn since there are a number of ways figures could end up on a treasure glyph - like being carried (as you mentioned), summoned, knocked back, thrown, pushed, etc. IOW, the rules say "its movement" instead of "moved on to".

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old December 27th, 2018, 04:10 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
If Theracus uses Carry to place a hero you control onto a treasure glyph, can that figure pick up the glyph?

Only on its turn. The rule book says that to pick up a treasure glyph a unique hero must end its movement on the treasure glyph. That seems to indicate during the movement phase of its own turn since there are a number of ways figures could end up on a treasure glyph - like being carried (as you mentioned), summoned, knocked back, thrown, pushed, etc. IOW, the rules say "its movement" instead of "moved on to".
Yeah, but in context, I think "ends its movement" is there to establish a contrast with the surrounding context, which says that (unlike with a power glyph) figures don't have to stop their movement on a treasure glyph.

I don't see "movement" as specifically referring to a figure's turn.
Old December 27th, 2018, 05:12 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Nevermind, everybody. Flash is right.

Here's a quote from that spells it out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
A figure may only pick up a treasure glyph if it takes a turn. In other words, the treasure glyph picking up is after moving and before attacking. Because of the open intent of treasure glyphs (we want players to get creative with their traps), and because there are too many abilities that would activate at the same time, we went with the wording we chose. When a power says "its movement" we are not talking about movement granted by some other figure such as Skahen etc.
Old December 27th, 2018, 05:36 PM

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:

Yeah, but in context, I think "ends its movement" is there to establish a contrast with the surrounding context, which says that (unlike with a power glyph) figures don't have to stop their movement on a treasure glyph.

I don't see "movement" as specifically referring to a figure's turn.
I see what you’re saying. But I’d still say that the two words “its movement” refers to the movement of the individual taking the turn in contrast to a figure being “placed” on a space by another figure’s ability.
Also, when you read through some of the Q&A’s on the FAQ’s, they seem to support that a figure can only pick up a treasure glyph on their turn.
Quote:
... a figure can only attempt to pick up or activate a Treasure Glyph once during a turn.
Whereas responses to questions about figures and the Glyph of Kelda seem to use different language
Quote:
When one of your figures stops here, remove all wound markers...
So to me, it would make sense that Theracus can dump a wounded hero onto a glyph of Kelda and then that hero would be healed, but since picking up a Treasure Glyph is a once a turn ability, and it’s not that figure’s turn, that would not be possible for the hero being carried.

EDIT: Took too long doing my research and making my post.

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old December 27th, 2018, 07:21 PM
This is merely a joke.

Okay, and another question (both this and the previous one came up in a game against Sir Heroscape earlier today).

When are you allowed to move from one space to another, specifically with overhangs involved? Here's the example in question: I have a figure that is Medium 5, single-spaced. It's currently on level 2. On an adjacent hex, there is a bridge that is on level 6, and a water space directly below the bridge on level 0. You can see a video of the map in question in this spoiler:
Spoiler Alert!
, although our game was online.

Can this medium 5 figure step onto the bridge space? The answer is definitely yes, as the rulebook instructs you to count "nearby support tiles". All you need is to be at least 4 levels tall (6-2=4), and have at least 5 movement points remaining.

Can this medium 5 figure step onto the water space? I think the answer should be yes, but I'm not sure the logic holds. Here's how I got to "yes": The figure can fit on both the first space (the level 2 space) and the second space (the level 0 space). Here's a quote from the FAQ (although it's answering a question about double spaced figures):
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ, emphasis mine
No. Sliding from one space to another never matters on any movement; it's actually fitting on each space as you go. As long as it can fit once you have flipped around, you can flip the figure.
Here's where this logic breaks down: Imagine instead that the first space is height 4. The overhanging bridge and the water are still there, as before, on levels 6 and 0. This seems absurd that any figure should be able to fit through this tiny gap (only a one hex-sized space between the top of 4 and the bottom of 6). Heck, you could extend this argument to a level 5 space. What's to stop you from going to level 0 from your level 5 spot, assuming you fit on both spaces?

Should the answer just be some quick math ("6-2=4, so you can't go down, you can only go up since your height is 5"?). That seems like a fair enough rule, although it would be disappointing that the crouching Airborne Elite couldn't move onto a space that he very comfortably fits on.

EDIT:

Here's a thread where somebody used my logic to claim that a dragon (or any big double-spaced figure) can fit through a one-hex hole between two levels, assuming it fits on both the top space and the bottom space.

Last edited by superfrog; December 27th, 2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old December 27th, 2018, 08:22 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I believe the ruling is that if it fits legally, you can place it there. All other circumstances aside, including sliding into a dinky hole or being between 2 Stinger Rifles, Nilfy’s wings, smacked by Grimnak’s tail...

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old December 28th, 2018, 03:10 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@superfrog that Figures that can't go through the door - The Definitive list you linked to in your edit has a good summary:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Summary: Figures have to fit onto each space along their path of movement, but don't have to slide between the spaces. Double spaced figures can flip mid-move and only have to fit onto a pair of hexes in one direction to move there.

These rules open a new possible way for figures to make it through the doorway. I call it the 'Flip Flop' move. If Sujoah, for example, wants to make it through the door using the flip flop move, he would use his head as his leading side and position it under the arch (doorway space 1 from the FoTA Rulebook.) His next space of movement will be to doorway space 2, but he will switch his leading side by flipping mid move so that his head is still under the arch and the part of his base with the taller section of sculpture is on door space 2. He is now inside the doorway and is in compliance with the rules.

There are three figures who can take advantage of the Flip Flop move:
Brunak
One of the Knights Templar squad figures with the lance held upright
Sujoah

There are also four figures who come close to the flip flop but do not center completly on their hexes. They might be allowed in casual play. They are:
Grimnak
Tor-Kul-Na
Charos
Othkuirk
Old December 28th, 2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Can this medium 5 figure step onto the water space? I think the answer should be yes, but I'm not sure the logic holds. Here's how I got to "yes": The figure can fit on both the first space (the level 2 space) and the second space (the level 0 space). Here's a quote from the FAQ (although it's answering a question about double spaced figures):
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ, emphasis mine
No. Sliding from one space to another never matters on any movement; it's actually fitting on each space as you go. As long as it can fit once you have flipped around, you can flip the figure.
Here's where this logic breaks down: Imagine instead that the first space is height 4. The overhanging bridge and the water are still there, as before, on levels 6 and 0. This seems absurd that any figure should be able to fit through this tiny gap (only a one hex-sized space between the top of 4 and the bottom of 6).
I agree with Flameslayer and your conclusion as well. While it seems weird, that’s how the rules are written. This interpretation also seems to be backed up by the FAQ for the Shaolin Monks - the question about the monk jumping through a window of terrain with a figure in that window. The answer states that
Quote:
when it comes to "space" there is a point where you just have to draw a line. Even if the figure was encased in the window, and it seems the leaping figure wouldn't be able to leap through/over it, he can.
so without a more definite formula as you suggested that’s the best way to do it - at least if you’re trying to be as official as possible (like playing your map pure gold in a tournament).

Quote:
Heck, you could extend this argument to a level 5 space. What's to stop you from going to level 0 from your level 5 spot, assuming you fit on both spaces?

Should the answer just be some quick math ("6-2=4, so you can't go down, you can only go up since your height is 5"?). That seems like a fair enough rule, although it would be disappointing that the crouching Airborne Elite couldn't move onto a space that he very comfortably fits on.

EDIT:

Here's a thread where somebody used my logic to claim that a dragon (or any big double-spaced figure) can fit through a one-hex hole between two levels, assuming it fits on both the top space and the bottom space.
I don’t think you could extend the logic that far because the terrain is closed at that point. That would be the equivalent in my eyes of trying to pass through a ruin because there is a space where you can fit on the other side.

And you probably know this but your formula with height versus terrain would seem to be contradicted by the rules - in the SotM rule book, the one Marro Stinger can’t fit under the overhang because of his gun, even though his height is just fine to fit under it. So unfortunately, doing it that way might be problematic too.

And yep - the example with the dragon is crazy, but it fits with the official rules.

So I’d just say the responsibility is on map designers when designing tournament style maps to not abuse those rules and to minimize opportunities for these kinds of situations to arise. If it’s a random map at your house - just house rule it.

that’s my anyway.

Old December 28th, 2018, 03:15 PM
This is merely a joke.

Thanks to both of you. I feel more confident that I was right.

The hard thing is that MOST of the questions about fitting through some opening come about with double-spaced figures.

The monk FAQ is helpful in reinforcing the principle with single-spaced figures, even though it's not 100% the scenario I had in mind. Good find there.
Old December 28th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Appreciate the diligence in researching this point. Definitely helps the judging of that particular map (and other future potential maps).

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old January 4th, 2019, 10:45 AM

toothpickman is surprisingly tart
Question Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

Still figuring out the interface here, could only tell how to post as a reply, so help with that appreciated.

I wanted to know if there were any heroes or units based on the Stargate SG1 series, I'd love to incorporate something like that.

I'm new to the site and to Heroscape, I got lucky at a thrift store and am jumping into the game. Just a few plays but I've really enjoyed them. Thanks!
Old January 4th, 2019, 11:05 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Welcome to the site and the game! My your lucky finds continue.

I don't know that I've seen Stargate customs, but you could try the "Search This Forum" button in the Custom Units & Army Cards section. @MegaSilver is also a huge Stargate fan, so he may know something.

That reminds me, I have a custom Stargate terrain piece (with accompanying glyphs) and some other custom terrain made by other talented 'scapers that I need to get out and play with...

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's