Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs
Official Rules and FAQs Compilation and discussion of AotP Rules and Frequently Asked Questions.

Old August 14th, 2015, 01:20 AM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: AotP Question Dump

I think playing Dual Casting plays a card from your graveyard.
It doesn't read, "Until the end of turn, you may cast red sorceries from your graveyard"
Or, "the next red spell you play may be cast from your graveyard this turn."

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old August 14th, 2015, 09:34 AM

bradtato knows what's in an order marker bradtato knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaniac27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtato View Post
Dual Casting: Does the spell I cast as a result of casting Dual Casting count towards my 3-spell per turn limit?

2: No, because if Dual Casting were cast ad my 3rd spell, its effect would have to be negated.
My response is, yes it does. It reads; "Play a red sorcery from your graveyard that you played this turn," not "copy a red sorcery." I can't think of any AotP card currently that copies a spell, but in Magic, casting (or playing) a card is not the same as copying a card or effect (a copied spell or ability immediately goes on "The Stack" and not cast). Granted, WotC could just be trying to avoid the concept of "The Stack" even though its how you resolve multiple instances.

Dual Casting specifically states you must play a sorcery from your graveyard that you played this turn.

But I don't have a rulebook in front of me to see if there's an FAQ.

That's the agreement that my opponent and I arrived at during the game that this situation presented itself, for the same reasons you listed ("play" vs. "copy"), but when I got to thinking about it afterwards, I thought it seemed a bit odd to have a card which, by its own rules, must be played as your second spell for that turn. Casting it as your first would leave you with no valid targets, and casting it third would use up your last spell for the turn, disallowing you to complete the instructions on the card. I feel like if the card was meant to be cast in a specific order, it would specify somehow. Magic is too careful when it comes to specificity ("play" vs "copy", "choose" vs "target" etc.), to leave something like that up to the imagination.
Old August 14th, 2015, 11:23 AM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaniac27 View Post
Quote:
Dual Casting: Does the spell I cast as a result of casting Dual Casting count towards my 3-spell per turn limit?

2: No, because if Dual Casting were cast ad my 3rd spell, its effect would have to be negated.
My response is, yes it does. It reads; "Play a red sorcery from your graveyard that you played this turn," not "copy a red sorcery." I can't think of any AotP card currently that copies a spell, but in Magic, casting (or playing) a card is not the same as copying a card or effect (a copied spell or ability immediately goes on "The Stack" and not cast). Granted, WotC could just be trying to avoid the concept of "The Stack" even though its how you resolve multiple instances.

Dual Casting specifically states you must play a sorcery from your graveyard that you played this turn.

But I don't have a rulebook in front of me to see if there's an FAQ.

That's the agreement that my opponent and I arrived at during the game that this situation presented itself, for the same reasons you listed ("play" vs. "copy"), but when I got to thinking about it afterwards, I thought it seemed a bit odd to have a card which, by its own rules, must be played as your second spell for that turn. Casting it as your first would leave you with no valid targets, and casting it third would use up your last spell for the turn, disallowing you to complete the instructions on the card. I feel like if the card was meant to be cast in a specific order, it would specify somehow. Magic is too careful when it comes to specificity ("play" vs "copy", "choose" vs "target" etc.), to leave something like that up to the imagination.

Yeah I'm not sure at all. I'm about to go down and finish painting the squads, I'll check the rule book while its there in front of me.

Edit: Rule book has nothing specific on Dual Casting. I would say that the spell Dual Casting allows you to play DOES NOT count towards your turn max. We should get an official ruling on this.

Last edited by aquamaniac27; August 14th, 2015 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Rule book
Old August 14th, 2015, 01:22 PM

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It seems pretty clear that it doesn't count, and it seems pretty obvious that the intent is that it doesn't count.

Again, it doesn't read something like "The next spell you cast may be cast from your graveyard." It says, "Play a card" just like "Draw a card" doesn't take up your normal draw or "Summon a creature squad" doesn't count against your normal summoning action.

Old August 14th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

If you guys ask Hasbro customer service and report back with answers, I'll add it to the FAQ thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old August 14th, 2015, 02:18 PM

bradtato knows what's in an order marker bradtato knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
If you guys ask Hasbro customer service and report back with answers, I'll add it to the FAQ thread.
I've contacted them via e-mail, and received a confirmation email stating to allow 48 hours for a response. I'll post an official response when I receive one.
Old August 14th, 2015, 05:14 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
It seems pretty clear that it doesn't count, and it seems pretty obvious that the intent is that it doesn't count.

Again, it doesn't read something like "The next spell you cast may be cast from your graveyard." It says, "Play a card" just like "Draw a card" doesn't take up your normal draw or "Summon a creature squad" doesn't count against your normal summoning action.

While it does seem obvious, vague wording is not a trademark of Magic. It just really threw me off.
Old August 14th, 2015, 10:08 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Once the restless zombies all die so you roll every turn or only if you activate the planeswalkers?
Old August 15th, 2015, 01:36 AM

@Hogg "At the start of the turn of a black Planeswalker you control"

Old August 15th, 2015, 09:54 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hey a question has come up regarding the firecats. When you summon them, the card says you may immediately attack with one. Can you play a spell or enchantment before the attack? This is very important when you consider the ability to play certain red enchantments that boost the cats' attack.

In the card game you would have lots of windows of opportunity to play enchantments and instants before a creature with haste would attack, but the wording on this makes me start to doubt it.

The rulebook doesn't have rules for stacking or technical order of things. You can both summon and play spells before phase 3.
Old August 15th, 2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post
Hey a question has come up regarding the firecats. When you summon them, the card says you may immediately attack with one. Can you play a spell or enchantment before the attack? This is very important when you consider the ability to play certain red enchantments that boost the cats' attack.

In the card game you would have lots of windows of opportunity to play enchantments and instants before a creature with haste would attack, but the wording on this makes me start to doubt it.

The rulebook doesn't have rules for stacking or technical order of things. You can both summon and play spells before phase 3.

I would contest that because the Firecats' card says "immediately," you must attack with one before casting any spells on it. This attack is part of an ability, and so is not moving your turn to the attack step. You would summon, attack with one, and then cast spells, and then move onto your movement phase with your Planeswalker, then attack, then cast spells, then end your turn.
Old August 15th, 2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post

I would contest that because the Firecats' card says "immediately," you must attack with one before casting any spells on it. This attack is part of an ability, and so is not moving your turn to the attack step. You would summon, attack with one, and then cast spells, and then move onto your movement phase with your Planeswalker, then attack, then cast spells, then end your turn.
bradtato is correct. It seems like they want to minimize the amount of stacking in the game, which I approve of.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs