Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 6th, 2007, 06:33 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
Contemplating a new table; looking for input

Currently, i have a rather unstable 6x4 foot table. I like it, but i hate it. It's so wobbly; I'm almost afraid to set up on it because i don't want to end up knocking it over. I like it though; It's a perfect size, and is exclusive to heroscape and stays in one room set up all the time.

My dad and i were thinking. We could make a sturdier table that has 2 legs and fastens to the wall, allowing it to fold up sort of like a trundle bed when not in use, granting more floor space when needed...

My question is, do you absolutely have to have 360 degrees access to the board at all times, or can 270 degrees suffice? I know i like to be able to walk around the board during play, getting to look at it from all angles.

What do you guys think?

Also, i'm not sure if this should be Heroscape General or just plain General. Mods/admins, please move accordingly.
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:48 PM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
Re: Contemplating a new table; looking for input

Quote:
Originally Posted by K/H_Addict
Currently, i have a rather unstable 6x4 foot table. I like it, but i hate it. It's so wobbly; I'm almost afraid to set up on it because i don't want to end up knocking it over. I like it though; It's a perfect size, and is exclusive to heroscape and stays in one room set up all the time.

My dad and i were thinking. We could make a sturdier table that has 2 legs and fastens to the wall, allowing it to fold up sort of like a trundle bed when not in use, granting more floor space when needed...

My question is, do you absolutely have to have 360 degrees access to the board at all times, or can 270 degrees suffice? I know i like to be able to walk around the board during play, getting to look at it from all angles.

What do you guys think?

Also, i'm not sure if this should be Heroscape General or just plain General. Mods/admins, please move accordingly.
I find it useful to have 360 degrees of access to a table with Hs on it so I can check with L.O.S.

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM

zombie prime is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
for smaller boards, i.e. boards small enough that i can spin the board 360 degrees without moving pieces on said board, then that table would rock
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:25 PM

gibberish_47 Woo who?
270 degrees does work. I play on half of a ping-pong table, and it works great. I don't see how you would have a problem.

Old January 6th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Forum Moderator

ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker
I certainly could deal with only 270 degree access. Being able to walk completely around the board is nice but not always neccessary, the only problem I really see right now is the issues you might have with Line of Sight. But even then it's not like that's going to matter all that much. I really think this is an awesome idea and am seriously considering doing the same thing in my basement once we get our addition. I'd love to see some pictures of the final product.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the last 3 games I played were with half a table and only 270 degree access. No problems at all, some LOS issues concerning a tree but that had to do with my little brother's lack of common sense. I'm about to go play another game on the same map right now.

Guess who's back, back again? Chilli's back. Tell Skahen.
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM
has been BANNED

Yeah, the LoS issue was the only thing that would deter me from this, but the way i'm imagining it i could still get to all 4 sides, if i absolutely had to. It would involve leaving the part of the wall that the table would be on open, and crawling under the table behind the "wall."

Imagine a wall with no sheetrock. You get your trusses like 2 feet apart right? Well, the section of wall that my table would cover when folded would have to remain un-sheetrocked so that if needed, i could crawl under my table into the trusses of the garage (my heroscape room; also where my table is and will remain) and have access to all 4 sides of my table still.

the only real LoS issues i have now involve battlements mostly. Occasionally, i'll get the small figure blocking los or tree, or even ruin, but it's not often i have a dispute over it. If i can see you, you can see me, so instead of looking from the attacking figures head, look from the defending figure. Close enough for me.

Thanks for the input, and if i decide to do it, i'll definately post pics of it in action.
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:56 PM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by K/H_Addict
Thanks for the input, and if i decide to do it, i'll definately post pics of it in action.
Oh please do!!

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old January 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
you can make simple "periscopes" to check line of sight if necessary
Old January 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara
you can make simple "periscopes" to check line of sight if necessary

Thats a good idea, actually. I know someone on here has a few he uses; i just don't remember who it was......
Old January 6th, 2007, 08:51 PM

auralerogeny is surprisingly tart
Rather than having to crawl through the wall, you could just hang a big mirror right there on the wall. This wouldn't solve all of your problems, but it would look pretty sweet, as well as helping with the LOS thing a bit...

Click to see more...
Old January 6th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
You could always do a swinging table.. that hangs from the cieling... you could then hoist it up to the cieling to get the floor space --- I think some sailing ships did this so the food would slide around less... or at least I saw it done some were lol.
Old January 6th, 2007, 08:58 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious
You could always do a swinging table.. that hangs from the cieling... you could then hoist it up to the cieling to get the floor space --- I think some sailing ships did this so the food would slide around less... or at least I saw it done some were lol.

ya know, i think you may be on to something, Draconious. I'll definitely be suggesting that to my dad later on

Perhaps, auralerogeny, if i did attach it to the wall, i could do the mirror. Mirrors are just a tad expensive though...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion