Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old August 4th, 2015, 12:37 AM

Carey ingtheword is surprisingly tart
Custom Castle Project

I have never posted anything on here before, or on any other forum for that matter ( so I'm probably not even doing it right ). I have a project that iv been having a lot of fun with and wanted to gather some thoughts/criticisms/suggestions, whatever. I'm not a very crafty person by nature, got into Heroscape pretty late, actually after it went out of print. So I found myself making my terrain instead of selling my soul for a fancy plastic castle (Which id still love to get one-day ). Anyway, it took 2 months of on and off work to make. Lots of Paint, and Mod podge to form a protective shell. with the obvious exceptions being the ladders, tiles, and decor, it is made entirely out of FloraCraft dry foam blocks. It fits well on the playing board, and its fun to line the walls with ranged commons and rain havoc on the enemy army

But I'm kinda at a loss. I would like to make it bigger or even make a bunch of them, but id really like to know what would be a good choice as far as building materials go, and maybe a way to make it look a little cleaner.
Thank you

Last edited by Carey ingtheword; December 30th, 2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: grammar
Old August 4th, 2015, 07:57 AM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Custom Castle Project

Well first let me say welcome to the boards and to the community. I think it looks good, the only thing I would changes is try to maybe do a recut on the spaces in battlements to square them off a little more. It is always nice to see somone come in with new exciting ideas to keep this community going.

+rep
Old August 4th, 2015, 11:48 AM
"like" happy

TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun

Welcome to the site, there are alot of tutorials on how to make terrain for heroscape in this same thread you posted.(including my own.) I would say check some of those out to get some more ideas. The ideas are there, Just pick the stuff you want and go for it. I have the official terrain but dosen't stop me from making a ton more. Check out the link in my signature, along with the other creators in the terrain thread. +rep, and keep on making stuff, its a blast.
Old August 4th, 2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC McMinis View Post
Well first let me say welcome to the boards and to the community. I think it looks good, the only thing I would changes is try to maybe do a recut on the spaces in battlements to square them off a little more. It is always nice to see somone come in with new exciting ideas to keep this community going.

+rep
I completely agree with you. The problem I kept having is that the flora foam is very brittle, and has trouble holding a sharp edge, even after the protective coating. -__- I thought about using foam board for the battlements, but then I'd have to find a way to mount them

Last edited by Carey ingtheword; August 4th, 2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old August 4th, 2015, 02:25 PM
"like" happy

TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun

I generally do not use floral foam for anything other than filler because it chips quite easy. I would use the foam for the structure and add matteboard or cardboard to the outside to give a nice edge simply by hot glueing it on. for the bottom pieces I would use craft sticks to hold it to the hexes. Not popsickle sticks the small squared ones. You can find them at hobby stores such as hobby lobby or micheals. I'm not sure if I have a tutorial for that.
Old August 4th, 2015, 04:45 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I generally do not use floral foam for anything other than filler because it chips quite easy. I would use the foam for the structure and add matteboard or cardboard to the outside to give a nice edge simply by hot glueing it on. for the bottom pieces I would use craft sticks to hold it to the hexes. Not popsickle sticks the small squared ones. You can find them at hobby stores such as hobby lobby or micheals. I'm not sure if I have a tutorial for that.
You should, that would be helpful for a lot of people I bet.

Also love the work Carrying. Nice work. I tend to use the pink insulation foam and only use the flora foam as internal filler or support to lighten the weight a bit. If you do a paper mache covering over the flora foam it works pretty good if you get a strong thick paper layer. My wife once decided to make a pinata for my son's birthday...a few too many layers and it was nearly indestructible...took an aluminum bat for the kids to finally break the sucker. That's when I realized the potential for the stuff.

Also what did you use for the hex spaces on top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
It was a great idea that really brought this concept to the next level and now I just have to convince you of your own brilliance.
Old August 4th, 2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
that's a really good Idea. the reason i like the floral foam is because it's very workable, and it has a slightly grainy texture, which aesthetically i like better then the matt flat texture. but i was constantly having to reinforce it with mod podge to keep the shape i wanted. will the foam hold up to hot glue?
Old August 4th, 2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
You should, that would be helpful for a lot of people I bet.

Also love the work Carrying. Nice work. I tend to use the pink insulation foam and only use the flora foam as internal filler or support to lighten the weight a bit. If you do a paper mache covering over the flora foam it works pretty good if you get a strong thick paper layer. My wife once decided to make a pinata for my son's birthday...a few too many layers and it was nearly indestructible...took an aluminum bat for the kids to finally break the sucker. That's when I realized the potential for the stuff.

Also what did you use for the hex spaces on top?
thank you. (: well i wanted it to have a kind of earthy look, so if you look at the front gate, all of the floor tiles are craft stick, cut to shape and painted black. But it was taking a really long time to get them right. So the rest are just cut and painted foamboard.

Last edited by Carey ingtheword; August 4th, 2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: unfinished
Old August 5th, 2015, 01:34 AM
"like" happy

The glue melts it just slightly. I'll have to see if I can whip together some tutorials. But feel free to check out what I have already done in my Custom Terrain Link in my signature below.
Old August 6th, 2015, 11:51 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Another vote here for pink insulation foam. It can be cut and sanded, but is much stronger than the floral foam.
Old August 6th, 2015, 04:35 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I really like the bottoms of your walls with how they are shaped to fit right onto the hexes below them.
Old June 18th, 2016, 06:13 PM

Hey everyone! I know this thread went dead a long time ago. However if anyone would like to buy the castle for any reason, I've got it for sale of my ebay store http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/172246410354? I still love it, and i'm still playing the game, but my wife and I are moving, and I'm trying to trim the fat. Everyone's recommendations were great! I'm gonna try to build a new one when we get settled!

Thank you all!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles