Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old June 18th, 2016, 01:13 AM

BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker
CityScape!!!

There's been a lot of talk in various other topics about starting up a thread specifically about building CityScape terrain. So I thought I'd make the jump and go for it. We have a couple different people here making buildings for everybody to add to their maps and if you haven't tried them out yet you're missing out on something really special. But what happens when you build a couple buildings and now your city is craving something more? Street lights? Cars? Shipping containers? Newspaper boxes? or like here in Vegas, Nudie card boxes? Well I'm hoping this can help you find what you're looking for. If we can get people to pitch in their ideas and/or builds and with the help of some of the very talented users here I think we can put together some very easy guides to making our cities flourish.

Since I'm the one starting this I guess I'll kick things off with some shipping containers I built a couple weeks back. I found this great YouTube video thats about building wargaming terrain from everyday trash and household items.
This guy has some great starting points for things. Highly recommend checking out his channel. From there I did a little bit of number crunching for the hexes and came up with using a 2.25" wide, 2" tall, by 5" long foamcore box and wrapping it with cardboard like in the video.
Spoiler Alert!
After I finished I realized I should of made the structure box a little bit smaller to accommodate for the cardboard but they still fit okay on 3 hexes. They stand 5 levels tall. I didn't want them to be as tall as a single story building but any shorter and they may not look right. I'd love some feedback an any ideas on making the size fit better. If enough people are interested maybe I'll make a step by step guide to how I made them. They're very easy to make and at most cost a couple bucks for a cheap paintbrush set and craft paints. Lets get those ideas flowing.
Old June 18th, 2016, 02:42 AM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: CityScape!!!

Great tutoral video here +rep
Old June 18th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Very cool.

I will throw down some pics of our past battles.
In the past I mostly used Christmas Village buildings. You can find them really cheap at Goodwill during the Holidays(though I had already bought most of mine before learning that). The smaller ones can be found at Dollar Tree and Walmart also.

Spoiler Alert!

I tossed in the Spider-Man cupcake stand in as a bonus. It became a favorite as it had a 'building' feel to it.

Tornado is the Nagrub thought bubble above the head of Demarco James...
in THE MYCELOID MANOR
Old June 24th, 2016, 01:08 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This page has a PDF with artwork for 150 print and fold papercraft shipping containers. Seems like a priceless resource. I have no idea of how close the scale is...but I bet one could figure out a % size to print to in order to get them pretty close.

http://krafttrains.com/Paper_Struche...Containers.htm
Old June 24th, 2016, 01:36 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeeple View Post
This page has a PDF with artwork for 150 print and fold papercraft shipping containers. Seems like a priceless resource. I have no idea of how close the scale is...but I bet one could figure out a % size to print to in order to get them pretty close.

C3G has some Shipping Containers that are to scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
It was a great idea that really brought this concept to the next level and now I just have to convince you of your own brilliance.
Old June 24th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Those should be pretty much perfect, mcmeeple. O scale works nicely with Heroscape.
These houses are O scale.

Tornado is the Nagrub thought bubble above the head of Demarco James...
in THE MYCELOID MANOR
Old June 24th, 2016, 03:14 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Those should be pretty much perfect, mcmeeple. O scale works nicely with Heroscape.
These houses are O scale.
Yes, I missed that part. O scale is what I use as well.

Quote:
It was a great idea that really brought this concept to the next level and now I just have to convince you of your own brilliance.
Old June 24th, 2016, 03:29 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

So i printed it off on my crappy laserjet and folded it up to see how it looks. It is a 2"x2"x5" (aproximate). It takes up 3 full hexes and fits ok in a single row of hexes with some overlap.

I am not super impressed with the resolution...but its descent. Too many JPEG artifacts for my taste.

Here are photos for scale:

Old June 24th, 2016, 03:42 PM
A Man of Taste

Try this out...Hexes included on the roof.

Shipping Container

Tutorial

you can do it out of wood instead of foamcore so you choose.

Quote:
Old June 24th, 2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post

Shipping Container

Tutorial

wow, 5 hexes long. thats a big container!!!
Old June 24th, 2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Shipping Container

Tutorial

I can't open the tutorial btw.
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:42 PM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Quote:

Shipping Container

Tutorial

I can't open the tutorial btw.
OK, thanks for letting me know that...I wasn't sure which forums were open and which were private.

You wouldn't need the tutorial if you are wood making them. The tutorial is standard foam core construction info.

Quote:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles