Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

View Poll Results: What events would you like to see (select any or all)
Demo Table with Large Map to show off & teach 15 50.00%
Two-day pre-drafted main event 18 60.00%
Draft tourney 18 60.00%
Multi-player (3/4/team) tourney/events 14 46.67%
General/Species/Class/etc. Specific tourney 18 60.00%
Mixed Marvel (or even C3G/Custom) tourney 9 30.00%
Capture the Flag/Treasure Quest/Scenario tourney 14 46.67%
Monster/Dragon/Heroes only tourney 16 53.33%
Heat of Battle tourney 13 43.33%
Dungeon Crawl / multi-game scenario events 12 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death!
Origins 2011 Preliminary Planning

Origins Game Fair
June 22-26, 2011
Greater Columbus Convention Bureau
Columbus, OH 43215

This thread is where you can suggest rules, maps, and other details as well as sign up to help.
Origins 2011 - Columbus, OH is for information on Origins Heroscape and Summoner Wars events, including event shedules, rules, and maps.
Origins 2011: Ticket Info & Roster of who is going is the place to find out how to get discounted tickets and hotels and well as note you are attending
me initial questions.

Mini-schedule: (w/ Tournament Director)
Thursday - 3:00-8:00 Heroscape General Wars - 500 pts (ManTrainChooChoo)
Friday - 10:00-3:00 Heroscape Heat of Battle - 450 pts (MattserTruckRally)
Friday - 3:00-8:00 Herosacape Draft Army - Bring 900 pts (choose 450 pts) (LeftOn4ya)
Friday - 4:00-8:00 Summoner Wars - Standard Build
(Jacob_J_P)
Saturday - 10:00-3:00 Heroscape Championship Main Event Rounds 1-5 - 550 pts (Weesel99)
Saturday - 4:00-6:00 Heroscape Championship Main Event Rounds 6-7- 550 pts (Weesel99)
Saturday - 5:00-8:00 Summoner Wars - Free Build
(Jacob_J_P)
Sunday - 1:00-6:00 Heroscape Lightweight - 380 pts (Pickle)

The only two events that are mutually exclusive are the Friday afternoon Heroscape draft tourney and Summoner Wars standard build, as well as Saturday the last round or so of championship and summoner Wars Free build.

Last edited by lefton4ya; May 19th, 2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old October 21st, 2010, 04:54 PM

lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death!
Re: Origins 2011 Preliminary Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya
Hey - it was good to see you all at NHSD and I hope to see most of you again at the D3 Release Draft tourney I am running.

I was wondering if you all would want to run events for Origins next year with my help. Hopefully maybe a main event with 32-40 player max and 2-3 other tourneys with 16- 32 player max, plus an open gaming table each day for beginners and maybe a display/demo table (giant map just to teach and intreague, no games played).

The 2011 Event submission forms are up at http://www.originsgamefair.com/GameM...2/Default.aspx. we can fill out the Event Submission form by march so we have plenty of time to pick events before then and get a sense of how many Heroscapers.com users are interested. There is a calculation that determines how many free passes we can get, but for example if we have a main event of 32 players for four hours two days, we earn 3 passes.

It was suggested to contact R˙chean to get advice on how he plans/prepares for Gencon. If we can be 1/2 the size/draw as Gencon, that would be awesome, but I am not expecting that unless all the Ohio players want to shell out the $$$ and time for Origins, or people east of here would settle on Origins instead of traveling extra to Indy for Gencon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattserTruckRally
I sent a message over to R˙chean for advice. We'll just need to discuss a point format for the main event and what kind of format for the smaller events that we'd want. We could also spread out the responsibilty for these events so some of us could play in them while others oversee and judge the events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weesel99
We appreciate you coming to NHSD and bringing those maps. I believe that at least 3 or 4 of us are planning to come up there for the draft tourney.

I know that we would be interested in hosting Origins tournaments. I like the idea of a main event and we can discuss a couple of other events to have running. Did you want to contact R˙chean or would you like me to? We could possibly get the software they use and I do enjoy organizing events. I'm assuming that if we run tourneys there we would also be able to get prize support from WOTC.

I think we could get a decent draw. I haven't built a large map in awhile, so I am looking forward to building a 8-10 Master Set map for display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_j_p
Hey, I'll be available to help run events at origins. We might want to put a poll up soon to see what the interest is, and to get a better idea for the number of seats we'd need for the main event and side events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
Hey, you both sent me a PM regarding this.

I have no familiarity with Origins. I have to assume they do this sort of thing, event hosting.

The advice I can give is only relative to my GenCon experiences. GenCon is extremely disorganized, uninformed, and the right hand often has no idea what the left is doing. So...with GenCon, I over documented everything. I got the dialogue going early then I follow up often.

If Origins allows event hosting then they should have an event hosting policy of some sort. Get it, read it, breath it. I had several times this past time with GenCon where I knew their event hosting policy better than they did and it helped me get what I wanted at several turns.

So get informed, stay informed, be early and through and then follow up early and often. Pretty generic stuff but all I can really offer.

Also, depending on the scope of the events, I can probably engage wotc for some prize support. When is this thing? Does WotC go to it?
E-mail from LeftOn4ya to registration(at)gama.org
Quote:
My name is David L*** and I helped run the Heroscape (Hasbro\Wizards of the Coast Expandable (non-collectible) Miniature game) event last year for GameBase7. They were only 3 four hour open gaming events and only could fit 7-8 people at the table, for which we were at maximum capacity and Saturday could have gotten a lot more players if we had space.

I also help run tournaments for Heroscape under Heroscapers.com - the official unofficial site for Heroscape and we have 30-50 people show up for tourneys in Ohio and nationwide. I and other Heroscpers.com users would like to be the GM for an expanded Heroscape availability at Origins including tournaments, open gaming, and a demo table. But before filling out an Event Submission form, I want to know the maximum space we can get for events and maximum events allowed. Here is a preliminary schedule needs, but I just want a quick OK.

Tournaments: We wanted 2-4 32-person tournaments and 2-4 16-person tournaments (at different times) Thurs-Sat, each lasting 4 hours. Swiss style tournaments require 1 6x10 table for every 4 people, so 8 6x10 tables would be good.
Open Gaming: We would have two 2-player and one 3-4 player map for open gaming of 1-hour tickets for 4-8 hours on friday and saturday. We might be able to do open gaming at the same place as tournaments on off hours. Requires 4 6x10 tables
Demo: We would have a Demo table next to the open gaming to draw interest and teach the game. Prefer 12x20 table area, would accept 12*12.

Also, I did not see where you could request to demo an event - we have good ties with the designers of the game and they would probably appear to draw interest, but it would not be a manufacturer sponsored demo.

Please let me know if these preliminary event details would be approved and how to submit for a demo space. Reply or call my cell during business hours ***

Last edited by lefton4ya; October 21st, 2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:00 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Cool, I wish you guys great success with this effort.

I might even be able to show up!

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM

jacob_j_p is surprisingly tart

There's another option you might want to put up, a single day pre-drafted main event.

Assuming we get fewer people, we could just cut the top 4 and do single elim. from there, instead of 16 like gencon, and that could all be done in a single day.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:32 PM

jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker

Would love to make it to this one. I won't know for sure untill February.

Giggity, giggity, giggity, giggity!

You must be this beautiful to ride the Quagmire!

Lose the zero, get with the hero!

Dear diary: Jackpot!

Fat chicks need love too...they just have to PAY!
Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_j_p View Post
There's another option you might want to put up, a single day pre-drafted main event.

Assuming we get fewer people, we could just cut the top 4 and do single elim. from there, instead of 16 like gencon, and that could all be done in a single day.
Yeah I kind of agree with this depending upon how many people we get. Many Scapers will be planning/saving for GenCon so going to Origins is likely to be a luxury for others. I say we follow a similar type of schedule for events and have them start at about 10:00 a.m. if possible. Weesel is reading up on the event submission guide so we can go from there.

Grenade lobbyist
Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
Gen Con 2015 Main Event Champion

weesel99 knows what's in an order marker weesel99 knows what's in an order marker

Like Mattser stated I don't think we'll have quite the turnout that GenCon does. So here is what I was thinking...

Main Event Saturday: Min 16 Players/Max 64 Players (5-6 Rounds)
Heat of Battle (Thur/Fri/Sun): Min 8 Players/Max 16 Players (4 Rounds)
Smack Down (Thur/Fri/Sun): Min 8 Players/Max 16 Players (4 Rounds)
Dragon Wars (Thur/Fri/Sun): Min 8 Players/Max 16 Players (4 Rounds)
Lightweight (Thur/Fri/Sun): Min 8 Players/Max 16 Players (4 Rounds)

I don't think we should run too many events being our first year. One a day would be a good start. Possibly 2 on Friday. Then we could have someone in the demo room and basically tag people in and out throughout the day.

I like the idea of building a big map to attract new gamers. Which would probably have to be set up in the exhibitor hall or demo room.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:37 PM

I think we should also have a draft tourney though too as it got a lot of votes. Maybe make it "liteweight" such as 400 point draft out of pool of 800 per player. Since draft games take longer and require more armies brought, lightweight seems good to overlap with draft format - thinking min 16 max 32 players for that one.

I also like a one day main event on Saturday, and maybe 2-4 other events besides main one and draft game. If you think Smack down and Dragon Wars are good then fine. I am also for having some open events so casual players who do not go to heroscapers.com can register in advance or that day to play a game or two. These would be in addition to tourneys, so if it means less tourneys to allow some open events that would be fine by me. If we can use the same tables/maps for tourneys and open gaming that would be ideal. At 32 players max at a time (main event could be split to two times with half the players each time if we get more players to RSVP) we only need 16 maps and that is about half of what we ran at NHSD so it should be fine.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM

weesel99 knows what's in an order marker weesel99 knows what's in an order marker

I think the draft tourney would work out nicely. At 16 players and 4 events being 4+ hours we will earn a minimum of 4 passes for Origins.

I don't mind spearheading everything and having 3-4 other GMs. Like NHSD I actually enjoy organizing events, it feeds my OCD. Listing Lefton4ya as a GM and giving him 32 hours of "responsibility" he would also get a free 4 day hotel stay. Mattser, ManTrain, jacob_j_p and I wouldn't need the hotel because we're locals.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Origins is a huge undertaking...I wish you guys a lot of luck on this. Like R˙chean said...read the GUIDELINES carefully and make sure you ask all your questions FIRST.

I would also advise finding a smaller convention in your area that happens a few months before Origins to cut your teeth on and take notes on what worked and what needed improvement.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 12:08 PM

No, David, No is surprisingly tart

Cool! I'm in.

nDn
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Origins is a huge undertaking...I wish you guys a lot of luck on this. Like R˙chean said...read the GUIDELINES carefully and make sure you ask all your questions FIRST.

I would also advise finding a smaller convention in your area that happens a few months before Origins to cut your teeth on and take notes on what worked and what needed improvement.
I am going through all the guidelines. I think there is going to be enough of us involved for it to run smoothly. Plus I'm OCD and a perfectionist. I think NHSD was pretty good for cutting my teeth with. A 46 person tournament that I think ran pretty smoothly.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events