Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old October 13th, 2009, 02:02 PM

footsoldier13 Woo who?
Is Taelord really that bad?

Over the past couple of months I've been here, I've noticed that Taelord is rather disliked by alot of the 'scaper community. Now I agreed with you until I really thought about it. Taelord is very overpriced considering his defensive counterparts being so much less. But surely there would be a reason for it? Here are a few points that I'd like you to, not agree with exactly, but to atleast think about.

The aura

Taelord's attack aura may only give a unit one extra attack but when that aura is used with the right people the power can be quite shocking, for example Taelord following Migol, Zetacron, the minions or the Snipers can be devastating, the deadly strike mixed with the aura brings a great power to your army. So if you are using Taelord in your army, try to pick people with that power or similar. On the same note, Taelord guarded by a squad of 4th Mass is also brilliant with 4 attacks (or more) of 4 that could make the squad even better than they are.

The Distraction
If you work the Aura perfectly, your opponent may get worried and decide to take down the leader. This serves as the perfect time to bring in another force, preferably with range who can take down the attacking force quicker than Taelord coud, perhaps the Krav's or similar. This can work brilliantly bringing your force forward while keeping Taelord safe and sound behind who ever he's boosting.

I'll leave you on this thought, though Taelord may be very overpriced and his stats not great, he still has one saving grace, he helps others. See Taelord aint so bad
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Is Taelord really that bad?

I've been preaching the same thing for a while. They still won't believe you
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:21 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I don't think many people believe Taelord is bad - just that it's tough to fit him into a 500 or so point army with enough units for him to support.

Minions and Snipers are already pretty expensive per squad, and Snipers are fragile, so they usually need Raelin / Rats. Minions are melee, which means you have to spend turns moving Taelord to keep up.

A couple 500 point armies I've seen / heard do well:

Taelord - 180
Snipers x2 - 380
Rats x3 - 500

The only problem here is that if your Snipers get brought down by something with Disengage or what have you, you're in trouble.

Taelord - 180
Raelin - 260
Krav - 360
4th Mass x2 - 500

I've played this army before and had success with it. Your opponent can't ignore 3 attacks of 4 coming at him every turn, so they have to move in to kill the Krav. When they do, they get 4 attacks of 4 at them instead.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; October 13th, 2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by footsoldier13 View Post
I'll leave you on this thought, he still has one saving grace, he helps others.
You're right. He is very helpful. He mows lawns for the elderly. He takes the trash out. He changes the cat litter. He volunteers at the Valhallan Youth Center. He's number one in my book.

Old October 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM

footsoldier13 Woo who?

If the snipers have height I dont really think they need Raelin. Normally If I use the Snipers and Taelord, The person who is heading towards the snipers are shot down with height and Taelord before they even get a chance!

Oh and of course you can't forget the times when Taelord saved that poor cat who was stuck in the tree!
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footsoldier13 View Post
If the snipers have height I dont really think they need Raelin. Normally If I use the Snipers and Taelord, The person who is heading towards the snipers are shot down with height and Taelord before they even get a chance!
You can't limit yourself to figures with Deadly Strike/Shot though simply because (with the exception of Zetacron) these are expensive figures, even though they do receive the biggest boost from his Aura. I enjoy pairing him Krav and Raelin + filler to the point limit. This is simply because Krav are, arguably, one of the best ranged units around because of their above average range, solid attack, and high (anti-range) survivability.

A 500 point army that I could be seen playing (wish I would have thought of this sooner...):

Taelord
Krav
2x Minions

True it doesn't have Raelin but 2 squads of Minions keep any melee units in check. At 600 points dropping in Realin and Marcu only makes this army stronger.
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:44 PM

champrjk knows what's in an order marker champrjk knows what's in an order marker

As a stand alone figure I don't think Taelord is very great. But with the right army builds Taelord is well worth his points. He gets drafted quite often in our gaming group. You'd be surprised.

Long live Heroscape.
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Personally I think that aside from his point cost, the thing that's really keeping Taelord down is that there isn't a cheap(ish) ranged common squad that complements him without being overkill. You could run something like

240 stingers x4
420 Taelord
500 Rats x2

or

180 Stingers x3
360 Taelord
460 Syvarris
500 40 points of filler (Guilty + Isamu?)

In both of those armies Taelord is simply overkill (though I do like the look of the second one). It shouldn't be too hard for the Stingers to attack with 4 dice fairly often, even if only part of the squad can get to height, it's till pretty darn good. In these two armies the boost in attack isn't a big enough difference from what the squads can do on their own to justify that 180 point price tag. (Though that second army would really need to be playtested to prove that, being able to draw guys into stinger range with Syv might actually be just enough to push a build like that over the top.)

If you try putting T with some of the other ranged squads you run into problems with the combination not being competative enough, or just redundant.

Arrow gruts - Swogs are better
Repulosors - This might work, but it would be a nightmare to manage
Drudge - Their two defense holds them back. Spending 260 points on Taelord and Raelin to support a cheap ranged squad is just silly.
Roman Archers - Have the same problem that the drudge to, only worse.
A. Harquebus - I think I see a pattern here.

Taelord's value would really shoot up if we got a 2/3 ranged squad at fifty points or less that doesn't have something else severly wrong with it.

Note: after coming up with that second army, this one stuck me as something else that might be playable, it's basically the same army, but less cheesy, and it doesn't have the potential redundancy.

195 Tagawa Samurai Archers x3
375 Taelord
475 Syvarris
500 (25 points of filler)

The archers have 4D on height, and Syvarris can be used to force your opponent to close into their range. This looks like it could be a fun army.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I think the Harqs make nice companions for Taelord - especially Taelord / Raelin.

They get 4 attacks per OM and have an incentive to stand still, making it easier for the Kyries to cast their auras. At 600 points, I think this is nasty:

Taelord - 180
Raelin - 260
Krav - 360
Harqs x4 - 600, 21 hexes

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:38 PM

footsoldier13 Woo who?

Maybe Taelord deserves a Kyrie squad with range that can bond with him! Now that is really unlikely. The point is that Cheerleaders need to be worked carefully and succesfully, especially if the rest of your team rely on them. Taelord has quite a few good, solid squads that work well with him, just maybe not enough cheap ones?
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I don't think Taelord is bad, he just has a few design flaws. His 3/3 att/def stats just don't match up with his point cost and background story. He is suppose to be a great warrior who fought his way to the top. At 180 points for a single figure with 1attack, he should be a general type figure capable of standing toe to toe with anyone. Yet his 3 att, 3 def stats are worse then a standard common squad minons' 2 double strike att and 6 def. Give him the same att/def stats as a common squad minon along with his heros' life and att aura, and I would'nt have a problem spending the 180 points on him. At 3/3 he dies too quickly and doesn't dish out enough damage to be considered for serious play IMO.
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

I've never even seen Taelord in a game, needless to say I've never played him either, but I've wanted to. I'm sure many people can say something similar to that. He really is just hard to fit in an army.

Every time I've considered drafting him I get to looking at my core army and think if I could use more of that core (essentially boosting survivability through numbers), or use more attack power. Unfortunately for Taelord more attack power is rarely the answer to finishing my army because my core should already have that punch.

Another thing I find important to note is that first strike is normally lost when sitting in his aura. Sure plenty of figures he works well with have high range, but 100% of all units have a larger threat range than they do actual range. This makes Taelord's aura dependent on surviving the first attack, if you cannot respond with your full power the next turn you've lost more than Taelord's aura is worth in attack power. Raelin on the other hand lessens the first (and any other) strikes; her aura is meant to take a beating and can (usually) afford to give up that first strike in order to retain position.

In my opinion, position is worth more than Taelord's aura.

There are strategies that try to sneak getting first strike in their favor; some may include leading with Taelord first then after they attack him you can move up your guys to attack, and another may be using Laglor to gain range in a Vydar pod. Which of those have good staying power though? The first means taking many OMs to move Taelord and the other has next to no army left to build.

Is position is worth more than that first strike? I think it depends more on the army you are playing... which probably doesn't include Taelord.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles