Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old December 1st, 2009, 10:31 AM

WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby!
Re: How could WOTC save money?

-wave 13- Elves & Soulborgs / Greeks & Vipers / Woo, Skahan & new unique squad (reuse old sculpt) / 5 heroes- the top 5 preexisting heroes that need updates, with new & more balanced stats (&/or abilitys) with cards, that would make them more playable.
-How about 1 or 2 less figures & include 6 tiles of Ice, Lava Or Shadow. Many have lost some in the years. Many don't have enough.
-Large pack of all 6 Flag Bearers. With the brand new one from Aquilla.
In all cases (save Aquilla F.B.) old sculpts. This saves money & we get more swag.

Loves all Scape

Still hasn't taken his Christmas decorations down.
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
An idea like repainting the castle to match another general's theme seems simple, but it also adds a step to the production. The castle as is doesn't have much painting done to it. The wall, base, and battlement pieces don't have a painting step. That is a cost right there. Putting a new figure or figures into it changes things a lot, because the packaging has to be modified to accommodate more stuff. At the very least it has to be changed to put in less castle pieces and add a figure or three.
Lots of good ideas in your post, AM, but I wanted to target this point for a second. I wish they would reprint the castle, using a darker grey (charcoal/black) plastic. That would be enough to make an Utgar castle, imo. And it would add almost no cost (other than repackaging it of course). Not sure the other castles would work as well (a goldish color for Einar?). But it would be fun to have a dark/evil castle set to mix in with the good guys' fortress.

Anyhow, minor point, carry on...
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:57 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Quote:
An idea like repainting the castle to match another general's theme seems simple, but it also adds a step to the production. The castle as is doesn't have much painting done to it. The wall, base, and battlement pieces don't have a painting step. That is a cost right there. Putting a new figure or figures into it changes things a lot, because the packaging has to be modified to accommodate more stuff. At the very least it has to be changed to put in less castle pieces and add a figure or three.
Lots of good ideas in your post, AM, but I wanted to target this point for a second. I wish they would reprint the castle, using a darker grey (charcoal/black) plastic. That would be enough to make an Utgar castle, imo. And it would add almost no cost (other than repackaging it of course). Not sure the other castles would work as well (a goldish color for Einar?). But it would be fun to have a dark/evil castle set to mix in with the good guys' fortress.

Darker plastic, design one new piece (flag), or alter the existing flag for use with an Utgar castle, new box art, and a new rulebook. That's not bad.
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I assume that reprinting older waves isn't too expensive. If they were to have several waves of older common squads, I would think that they would be very successful. Here are some of the squads that I would buy:
Knights and Swogs
Gorillas and Hounds
Kilts and Commandos
Soulborgs and Elves (this should be huge since the Blasts were re-released)
Greeks and Vipers
Shades and Orcs (this should be very successful with the success of the heavy gruts in tournaments)
Riflemen and Spearmen
Zombies

I would think that Minute Men & Wolves and Soldiers and Wolves would be very successful also.
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I hope they will continue to rerelease the older common waves. There are numerous ones I will need myself. There would be zero developement costs to reprint these, though sales may not be as high as releasing a brand new wave because lots of people already have older wave stuff. Though, if there is a continued growth of new players, the demand should really still be there.

I still need the heroes of Trollsford among the unique packs, but I am not holding my breath on that one.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Darker plastic, design one new piece (flag), or alter the existing flag for use with an Utgar castle, new box art, and a new rulebook. That's not bad.
Glad you like the idea. I think it would be one of the best "reprints" they could do.

Sadly, it seems like I heard that the fortress set was too expensive to reprint--does anyone else remember that? That is was just too much plastic for the original price.

Too bad. I'd love a dark fortress. It would be a great addition.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:02 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

One thing (I believe) that WOTCPaul did bring up was packaging. Those bubble-packs cost a lot apparently, and he asked if we would mind simpler boxes.

Sounds good to me, the size of those bubble packs is a pain for those of us who want to ship internationally. But for Walmart? I dunno.

Wave 10 is not sign of a cash shortage. D&D 'scape may be a sign of a cash shortage. But who's complaining? We're getting new or re-released 'scape fairly regularly these days.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:20 AM

WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Glad you like the idea. I think it would be one of the best "reprints" they could do.

Sadly, it seems like I heard that the fortress set was too expensive to reprint--does anyone else remember that? That is was just too much plastic for the original price.

Too bad. I'd love a dark fortress. It would be a great addition.
So than use a simple wash on the ever abundant sets. They could release the other 5 different flags with something else.

Loves all Scape

Still hasn't taken his Christmas decorations down.

Last edited by WOOKIE; December 2nd, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:07 PM

delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby!

Money Saving and Making ideas for WOTC.

1. Terrain booster packs. Bring back the Lava and ice terrain sets, and release boosters of other terrain types like grass swamp, water, stone and sand. maybe 4 of each platter size in a pack. How about a desert set with cacti and scorpions, a mountain set with stone mountain peaks like the ice peaks in the Tundra expansion. A Forrest Expansion with both conifers and desiduous trees maybe some vines and a forrest spring. Elven village similar to an ewok village. A newly designed fortress with more of a sinister feel to it might be good too.

2. More destructable and non destructable barriers like ruins, trees, statues, ice peaks, stone peaks, guard towers, turrets, road blocks, boulders and special items like demon gate, or a cirle of power, like some of the excellent customs on this site.
Sell them as optional boosters.

3. Sell miniature boosters in smaller booster packs and sell them as collectables. Say 1 squad and a hero.

4. Release game bases measuring 24" X 24" and interlockable for truely large gaming fields which are easily moved without deconstruction.

5. Quest/battle packs. Expansion sets consisting of battle field maps and senarios using included expansion components. These could be Roman army vs Gauls, Greeks Vs Troy, Orc's vs Elves, Modern soldiers Vs Alien threat, Robots Vs. Robots. WW2 germans vs allies.

6. Hold official senario developement contests to be released in future boosters. Maybe even miniature designs.

Give us lots of gaming options and don't limit us to D&D style play. I usually build LARGE battle fields, 6 feet x 5 feet and I will play everything from modern warfare senarios and battle recreations to fantasy style questing.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to drop the bubble packs and switch to plan old cardboard boxes.

Think about it this way:

In a Wal-Mart, the typical stock is a bunch of Marvel sets, with some random expansions next to it.

A consumer will NOT buy an expansions set to anything prior to owning the main set, the exception being a gift.

Therefore, if a consumer ends up buying a 'Scape expansion from a real store, the odds are that the person's intention was to buy a 'Scape expansion. The only thing the packaging does is assist in determining which expansion is bought.
Online, packaging does not matter at all, save for determining what box to ship it in.

Finally: If a box with art all over it sold the Master Sets and FoTA just fine, why wouldn't it sell the small sets?

Nukatha is Spartacus...
in THE SPARKLY CAVE
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
The only thing the packaging does is assist in determining which expansion is bought.
I always thought this "bubble" packaging was related to the target market. (Young boys). I know they like to see the guys. In a bubble pack they can see what they are getting and get excited to own it. Not quite as effective in a cardboard box.

I also have always thought the "bubble" package was to also visually seperate Heroscape from other "blind purchase" collectible games. i know for me personally, the bubble packaging let me know I was not going to get the shaft like other collectible game (cough, cough, Star Wars Minitures). The bubble pack let me know FOR SURE what I was getting.

The folks here on the site probably would not care so much about a cardboard box at this point, but I bet the "bubble packs" sell figures in the stores.

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM

Shadowking is surprisingly tart

A smaller bubble pack/box combo with a window showing a member of each squad (or the biggest/coolest hero) might work (along with full unit photos on the back like they do now). Would it be cheaper to produce ?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion