Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old November 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Shadowking is surprisingly tart
How good is this army ?

Here's the army I tend to use at the moment (I like the Jandar theme). How good is it (when compared to what sets I own), and is there anything I should watch out for as specific counters ?

RotV Drake
1x MacDirks (I know I need to buy another set)
Tarn Viking Warriors
Airborne Elite
Alistair MacDirk
Thorgrim
Finn

600ish points, not sure exactly off the top of my head

I generally rush the MacDirks (with Thorgrim to give them a proper defence, I find it's often easy to get height too) and Alistair forward and by the time they are done (especially if the AE drop mid-battle), most of the enemy force is dead and Drake and the Vikings can clean up.

I own:

1x RotV
1x SotM

1x TT
1x VV
1x RttFF

1x Orm's
1x Raknar's

1x Wave 1 Romans
1x Wave 1 Heroes

1x Wave 3 Heroes
1x Wave 3 Agents and Scots

1x Wave 5 Rats and Warriors
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:08 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: How good is this army ?

In terms of tournament competitiveness, it can be a lot better.

Your main problem is that you have too many army cards. The Macdirk's Bonding helps that out some, but once they're dead and the AE are down you're going to have a heck of a time placing your Order Markers.

If you're looking for 600 points based around Macdirks, I'd go with something like this (you'd need to get a couple more sets of them):

Alistair - 110
Macdirks x3 - 350
Raelin - 430
Krav Maga Agents - 530

Raelin helps their poor defense more than Thorgrim does, and you can focus your bonding efforts on Alistair. She also makes the Krav Maga Agents nearly invincible from range.

The typical competitive army I suggest to someone with your collection usually is some Q9/Raelin/Krav combo, since they're the strongest Unique figures in the game. At 600 points, I could see:

Q9 - 180
Q10 - 330
Raelin - 410
Kelda - 490
Krav Maga Agents - 590

Use Raelin to protect all of your shooters, and give Kelda a marker once in a while to heal a Major. Try to focus on one shooter at a time, or just have a general plan how you're going to play them. Q9 and the Krav are best at dealing with squads, while Q10's Wrist Rockets help against heroes.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:33 PM

wbdhoc knows what's in an order marker wbdhoc knows what's in an order marker

I think that army runs about 620 by my count - an awkward sum for most competitive venues. I would advise dropping twenty points or (even better) going all the way down to 500 to make it compatible with most tournaments. Given your predilection towards Jandar, you might consider the following draft:

Drop and Defend:

AE - 110
Drake Classic - 110
Raelin - 80
KMA - 100
Syvarris - 100

As stated, the lack of multiple commons means that your likely to see a disadvantage in contingently placing OM. This army mitigates that problem as you can adequately go "all in" on the AE, KMA or Syvarris and mantain enough distance from the enemy so as to offset losing all your OM should the unique figures "crap out." Out of the gate, consider KMA for their move and one shield "sucka" defense. Place Raelin with your first OM then go "whole hog" on the agents. Once you're down to one agent, switch OM allegiance to Syvarris and keep your opponent at bay. Once you roll AE, go "all in" on the soldiers from above for at least one round, taking high ground to "pepper" the enemy. Your aim will not be to take out entire units but to destroy enough units or mark enough wounds on every draft card so as to render your opponent's orders less threatening overall. Clean up with Drake if you have to and only engage when you can gaurantee a kill. I stress this last point as many newer players often immediately deploy Drake without properly considering his place as a team player.

If you insist on the 600 point draft, consider adding Carr for the clean-up crew or replace Drake with Neo-Drake, then add Q10 and KMA plus Syvarris.

BANJO WILL GET YOU THROUGH THE TIMES WITH NO MONEY. MONEY CAN'T GET YOU THROUGH THE TIMES WITH NO BANJO.
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Shadowking is surprisingly tart

I'm not really going to be in any tournaments (I'm in the UK, and really only play friendly matches), so it's more that the army isn't a dead loss in relation to armies my collection could produce rather than whether it could stand up in a competative setting. I chose it based more on theme than quality. That second army sounds cool though, might have to try it out next game.
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowking View Post
I'm not really going to be in any tournaments (I'm in the UK, and really only play friendly matches), so it's more that the army isn't a dead loss in relation to armies my collection could produce rather than whether it could stand up in a competative setting. I chose it based more on theme than quality. That second army sounds cool though, might have to try it out next game.
You see, this is the Competitive Armies Discussion subforum, so when you ask a question here, people will think you are framing your question in regards to competitive armies.

Also, if you are choosing your army for theme rather than quality, then the question is a moot point, or perhaps should be, "How Good is the Theme of this Army?"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion