Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Why did Sarah Palin step down?

First, this isn't a bash Sarah thread, instead I want people to just express their opinions on why they think she stepped down and what her future plans, if any, might be.

For those out of the loop, on Friday, Sarah Palin announced that she would be stepping down as Governor of Alaska next month. She gave no clear and precise reason why, instead saying ...
Quote:
determined to take the right path for Alaska even though it is not the easiest path. ... Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional lame duck status in this particular climate would just be another dose of politics as usual, something I campaigned against and will always oppose." Palin used a sports analogy to explain her decision: "I know when to pass the ball.
Of course, quitting in the middle of a term, absent any medical or family emergencies, plus the lack of any truly major scandal, is pretty unprecidented. Which begs the question, why not simply finish her term (up in 2010) and simply not run for re-election?

Currently the main theories seem to be.....

1. She is honestly fed up with politics and wants out of it. A honest enough reason when thinking about one's family (plus her youngest child's care and needs)

2. There is a political scandal getting ready to break and she is dropping out ahead of the curve so she can leave on her terms. Most of this seems to be hark back to her and her husbands dealings with SBS, a company that has profited greatly since her term as mayor in Wasilla and even more so since then. I'm not sure about this one - while it seems more in "character" with Palin (exiting on her own terms), I can't imagine that nothing more has came out if it was true. News travels at the speed of light nowadays, and the story should have broke 5 minutes after her announcement if it was true (barring that it was within her own cabinet that the "scandal" became known, and wanted her to exit quietly in the hopes that it might slip through the cracks, but that's unlikely as well).

3. She is planning to run for president and plans to be the voice of opposition to Obama until 2012. This one I find insane. Using her own basketball analogy, if you are one of the top players on your team, you don't quit in the middle of the game to cheerlead. She would be literally walking out on her state in the middle of an incredibly tough time for it for purely selfish and political reasons. I can stomach many things from politicians from both sides, but to quit before her term is up (enough though she would have nearly 2 years to campaign afterwards) is political suicide. She would now be a quitter who doesn't finish her job and how can you count on someone who quits their job when it become inconvienent? I find this most unlikely.

4. A partial mixture of number 1 (quitting to spend more time with her family) and deciding to leave real politics to be a Fox News or talk radio host is what I think is most likely. She can drop all responsibility, spend more time with her family, and make more money if she leaves for a bit, then gets her own show where she can say whatever she wants and get paid well for it. It would let her be vocal and popular (at least within the Republican ranks) opposition, without any real risk for her. It would still be really bad for her image to quit in the middle of the job, but if she takes a year off or so before coming back, any major stigma should be worn off (the public has a very short memory on most things).

So that's it - what do you think is going to happen or why she quit?

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:34 AM

wk4c knows what's in an order marker wk4c knows what's in an order marker
Re: Why did Sarah Palin step down?

I would assume it's because her family is so attacked all the time, especially since she made herself public.

Quadraphonic(x2), Hilo-Scaper, SuperflyTNT

1-4/3-1/3-2/3-2
10-9 = 53% Win pct.
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:06 AM

Odin_Osgard knows what's in an order marker Odin_Osgard knows what's in an order marker

Family is probably her main reason. She has had several attacks on her family. She might also be embarassed from the countless attacks on her self. Maybe she has found a different carreer option she feels is better. She also mentioned wanting to help all Americans. I don't recall the exact wording. She made it sound like she was tryingto get a job in the federal government. Maybe this meens she is going to try to run for the senate or HoR.

Dund is just tricky, that's all.
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I'd say that it is most likely for her family. She was pretty anonymous before she was chosen to run as VP. Since then she and her family have been scrutinized constantly and it hasn't stopped since the end of the election. She knows it will continue as long as she holds some kind of office so she likely figures that the best thing to do for her family is to step down now before the damage to her family becomes too great.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

She's quitting to start a late night talk show so she can compete directly with David Letterman.
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I would assume family/financial issues due to attacks like the personal ones of Dave's recent barrage and the multiple apparently unfounded lawsuits. If she is planning on furthering her political career it seems likely she will use the stepping down as being a way of saving taxpayer money by not being a lame duck office holder ...

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

A major indictment was/is coming over bribes to steer business to SBS*. Details are still sketchy but I guess besides the kickbacks she would have been charged with purgery from early sworn testimony.

No great loss.

*These are the builders that came out of the blue to sponsor Todd's, aka The 1st Dud, snow mobile team.

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think she's going to get a job at Fox News. She just doesn't do well in the public eye unless you're a hardcore conservative. The most recent David Letterman faux-outrage was another example of her not really having anything of substance to stand on. Don't read that the wrong way. She could take real Republican stances, but unfortunately she's too much of a politician to pass on a chance to pander.

The Letterman thing really pissed me off. Maybe it's because I'm in comedy and have had to deal with people ruffling their own feathers so that they can storm out and talk to the manager. "If I ever see that [21-year-old amateur comic who isn't getting paid] on stage [at an open mic] then I'm going to tell [all my dumb friends] to boycott this place!"

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob

Last edited by Gulp; July 5th, 2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: punc,tua-tio*n err:ors
Old July 5th, 2009, 03:22 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

It really makes you wonder how she would have been as VP. If I gave any reason it would only be speculation since nothing has really been said, but I'd assume she wants out of politics or would rather work in political media.
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenEnvy View Post
It really makes you wonder how she would have been as VP. If I gave any reason it would only be speculation since nothing has really been said, but I'd assume she wants out of politics or would rather work in political media.
If she genuinely wants out of politics to spend time with her family, then it would be a rare display of humanity for a politician. So rare in fact that we have to assume there's more to it than that.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM

Rew knows what's in an order marker Rew knows what's in an order marker

To get to the other side!

(... and with that, my amazing contributions to the forums are done for the day.)
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
has been BANNED

warmonger321 is surprisingly tart

because she was getting sued for not spending enough time in office. She was off to different places to much so she was getting sued for neglecting her duties.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General