Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old May 5th, 2019, 07:09 PM

sword4hire knows what's in an order marker sword4hire knows what's in an order marker
Re: Gen Con 2019

I am totally in for the 'senior' tournament. Can't wait.
Old May 5th, 2019, 08:41 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
I can only imagine the mercilessly tough constraints that our Gencon map-selectors and map-builders have to work within, so I almost hate to bother them with any further possible suggestions.

But reading all the discussion about the need for more maps that use only a single master set and single expansion.... Occurs to me..... The Remains of Clionesia, by tannergx, was one of three maps inducted into the Wargrounds of Scape during its time, and it uses only 1 RotV and 1 FotA (perhaps the single most available combo of terrain).

EDIT: Hmmm, although occurs to me, I don't know what policy is regarding uncapped columns..... If prohibited, please ignore The Remains of Clionesia suggestion!

EDIT 2: Wait a minute, do I vaguely remember that Remains of Clionesia may actually already have been used in a previous Gencon? See, old age! It ain't pretty.

Edit 3: (Shameless plug: my map thread -- in my sig block -- includes several maps that use only a single BftU and one expansion, in case you gents have access to a few BftU and are trying to milk all you can out of limited terrain requirements. That was always my particular obsession.... But I digress!)
Suggestions are never a bother. There's just a good and not-so-great way to do it, and your post here is the correct way to do it. Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2019, 09:53 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Afraid I don't know how prizes work at GenCon..... Are donations invited?!

If they are, I have a never-opened new-in-box Fortress of the Archkyrie that I could bring for whatever prize table there is.
Old May 6th, 2019, 10:06 AM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Based off of the previous discussion quoted above, this is verrry interesting...

Apparently organizers are still biased against the most prestigious “3-letter” (as Maccabaeus puts it) custom project this community has seen. Just simply mind-boggling and so bizarre to me, especially since it was eluded to that the guy who added a customs event last time was removed as an organizer for it lol.

Maybe one day C3V/SoV will get the love they deserve [at the biggest gaming event for scapers]...one can only hope.

I was away all weekend, but I wanted to respond to this post. Our goal at Gencon is to make the Heroscape as accessible as possible to Heroscape players. 3 Letter events minimize that so we don't run that many. I feel like I have been very open and clear that we are not banning these types of events, but we do need them to sell well when we do have them. I've said this before but I'll say it again. Take advantage of the Open Play slot and run a 3 letter event. If you can generate enough interest we can look at adding it to our regular event schedule.

One final word.....if you aren't willing to come to Gencon and participate in the process then stop complaining about it. Posting here to complain about what events we set up without participating is nonsense and will not change anything.
Old May 6th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
One final word.....if you aren't willing to come to Gencon and participate in the process then stop complaining about it. Posting here to complain about what events we set up without participating is nonsense and will not change anything.
“aren’t willing” is a bit harsh. Most every scaper id imagine has a will or desire to be a part of what we consider the pinnacle of the Heroscape gaming experience, GenCon, but means are a little harder to come by. I was lucky enough to go back in 2017 and plan on coming more as means become more available (it ain’t cheap that’s for dang sure). You do have a point in that if “random” people started commenting on our Utah tourney maps and formats I’d probably be a bit miffed...BUT GenCon is no ordinary get together. It IS what every scaper (and any gamer alike) aspires to attend at least once. So in order for it to be the best experience, I see no problem with people (attendees or not) chiming in. GenCon carries with it a strong amount of validity in the eyes of scapers which is why I’ve personally advocated for more variety of map selection and inclusion of the VC into its own format, because those are things I’m involved in. Nothing would be cooler and more satisfying than to see one of my own maps or units being played at an event so prestigious as GenCon, and I know others feel the same way. For those of
You that go every year, I’m sure you’re satisfied with the status quo and what has worked, but for those of us that dream of going once (or twice for me), we view it as the ultimate experience and would want that experience to include as much of Heroscape as possible (including new maps and units). Maybe we who don’t have the luxury to go every year hold GenCon on too high a pedastle, but at least from me, we view it in very high regard and that should be a good thing, and the expectation should be met.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 6th, 2019, 04:33 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
“aren’t willing” is a bit harsh. Most every scaper id imagine has a will or desire to be a part of what we consider the pinnacle of the Heroscape gaming experience, GenCon, but means are a little harder to come by. I was lucky enough to go back in 2017 and plan on coming more as means become more available (it ain’t cheap that’s for dang sure). You do have a point in that if “random” people started commenting on our Utah tourney maps and formats I’d probably be a bit miffed...BUT GenCon is no ordinary get together. It IS what every scaper (and any gamer alike) aspires to attend at least once. So in order for it to be the best experience, I see no problem with people (attendees or not) chiming in. GenCon carries with it a strong amount of validity in the eyes of scapers which is why I’ve personally advocated for more variety of map selection and inclusion of the VC into its own format, because those are things I’m involved in. Nothing would be cooler and more satisfying than to see one of my own maps or units being played at an event so prestigious as GenCon, and I know others feel the same way. For those of
You that go every year, I’m sure you’re satisfied with the status quo and what has worked, but for those of us that dream of going once (or twice for me), we view it as the ultimate experience and would want that experience to include as much of Heroscape as possible (including new maps and units). Maybe we who don’t have the luxury to go every year hold GenCon on too high a pedastle, but at least from me, we view it in very high regard and that should be a good thing, and the expectation should be met.
Ok.
Old May 6th, 2019, 05:07 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
It's true that many people have wanted to go to GenCon for a long time (I know that I was in the same boat before last year), but I don't think it's the organizers' duty to validate larger custom projects. It's of course peculiar that C3G gets its chance but VC doesn't, but they've been pretty clear that for whatever reason, events in the past have not had a high enough attendance and it'll have to prove itself in an Open Play Event before being considered further. Given that they are expected to meet expectations for events by GenCon to keep running the event altogether, I understand the apprehension.

In an ideal world, there'd certainly be a VC event at GenCon (I know that I'd certainly love to participate). It's a major project that is as much a part of the community at this point as GenCon is, and it'd be fantastic if it could receive more recognition and opportunities for people to get involved. That said, the organizers certainly aren't under any obligation to do so, and outside of some confusion they've been pretty clear about the steps to get a VC event approved in the future.
Old May 6th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
I just don't understand why we keep talking about this? Do you not understand what we've previously said? Is it because you don't like the answer so you're going to keep trying to argue something over the internet because that always works? (I'll be happy to field any questions in person at Gen Con).

The events are posted. Let's talk about them.

Somebody mentioned there will be AARP pamphlets at the Wiseman tourney. Should I have somebody there to talk about Medicare and all the options available?

Main event 6 rounds. Sweet! No more randomness for day 2 (hopefully) How many Hatamotos will there be?

Hatamoto 130
Chainfighters x 11 - 275
Total 405 / 12 Figures. Seems like a no brainer to me.

HotB Unique (What do I even bring for that?)

Speedscape (8 games in 4 hours!!)

Heroes Only (Will Jotun make a triumphant return?)

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; May 6th, 2019 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Speedscape, just like Raider30s mom...
Old May 6th, 2019, 06:16 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
I just don't understand why we keep talking about this? Do you not understand what we've previously said? Is it because you don't like the answer so you're going to keep trying to argue something over the internet because that always works? (I'll be happy to field any questions in person at Gen Con).
Not at all. I was finished, but I was called out publicly for sharing my opinions (arguably criticisms) as a “non-attendee” of GenCon and so I defended my position - as a “non-attendee”...that’s all.

But yes, I am done.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 6th, 2019, 06:33 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Loophole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post

Somebody mentioned there will be AARP pamphlets at the Wiseman tourney. Should I have somebody there to talk about Medicare and all the options available?
So if I'm 30, but have received stuff from AARP on more than one occasion (I have photo evidence), does that mean I am eligible for that tournament? ~_^

~Dysole, who only just recently got her Gencon stuff; she has lots of interesting thoughts about VC and the like but nothing that's contributory to the discussion at this time
Old May 6th, 2019, 07:47 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I was away all weekend, but I wanted to respond to this post. Our goal at Gencon is to make the Heroscape as accessible as possible to Heroscape players. 3 Letter events minimize that so we don't run that many. I feel like I have been very open and clear that we are not banning these types of events, but we do need them to sell well when we do have them. I've said this before but I'll say it again. Take advantage of the Open Play slot and run a 3 letter event. If you can generate enough interest we can look at adding it to our regular event schedule.
As a big-time booster of both C3V/SoV and C3G, I want to voice my agreement here. I recognize that Gencon is in many ways the biggest stage in our game with the biggest events, but it is also in many ways the worst venue for us to try to run custom events.

TBH I'm surprised C3G got a second run after... 6 participants last time? I'm happy to see it again, though, even if I have to decide which of my titles to try to defend in that slot.

Quote:
This, on the other hand, seems a little unfair to me. I'll grant that the people who don't attend and are unlikely to attend don't really have much of a reason to complain. But the process of organizing and participating in planning discussions is really quite opaque; I don't think it's clear to most people how they would get involved. I know that when I've been frustrated with the events I haven't felt like there was much of a way for me to communicate that productively.
Old May 6th, 2019, 09:19 PM

Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
As a big-time booster of both C3V/SoV and C3G, I want to voice my agreement here. I recognize that Gencon is in many ways the biggest stage in our game with the biggest events, but it is also in many ways the worst venue for us to try to run custom events.

TBH I'm surprised C3G got a second run after... 6 participants last time? I'm happy to see it again, though, even if I have to decide which of my titles to try to defend in that slot.

Quote:
This, on the other hand, seems a little unfair to me. I'll grant that the people who don't attend and are unlikely to attend don't really have much of a reason to complain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
But the process of organizing and participating in planning discussions is really quite opaque; I don't think it's clear to most people how they would get involved.
I would disagree with the above statement. Each year there is a post GenCon thread where people can offer their feedback. Last year there were 7 posts and one of those was about Hendal recklessly driving his cart down the street to his hotel...my point is the outlet for input is there and has been there for years. I can 100% assure everyone that thread does get read, as does pretty much any other thread having to do with GenCon.

Which is not to say that every concern will be answered, dealt with, changed, accommodated, etc. They get read, that's the guarantee, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
I know that when I've been frustrated with the events I haven't felt like there was much of a way for me to communicate that productively.
I'm not sure what you are referring to but all too often for some people, not necessarily you, only feel as though they have 'communicated productively' when they get a response that goes their way.

You, specifically you, and also general sense you, are welcome to PM me with any specific issues or concerns you have about events. This does not guarantee a response you will dislike, a response you will like, or even a response at all. But your message will be read.

- Raider30

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con