Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old February 18th, 2013, 03:36 PM

CoyoteProdigy Woo who?
Modifying For Extended Play?

I've recently dug up my Heroscape sets again. I have the complete Rise of the Valkyrie, Swarm of the Marro, Fortress of the Archkyrie, and a few expansions (Orm's Return, Minutemen and Wolves, Volcarren Wasteland, and some other figure expansions.) I've been considering establishing a group around Heroscape, but with modifications for a full-fledged tabletop RPG. Aside from modifying the normal rules a little, I'll have to hybrid the rules with maybe something like DnD (or at least base something off of that to make this possible.)

I'm planning on setting up my own storyline, and having several players (maybe a max of 5) choose from the hero figurines/cards to basically choose their character for the duration of the game. From there, I've considered establishing a leveling system, using the stats on the hero cards as their characters' base statistics. I'll take on the role of DM (or probably 'Scape Master is a better term.) They players who have decided to join or be apart of the group will play through my storyline with one major quest involved and most likely other smaller quests on the way (multiple.) Depending on where exactly they are in the story, I'll have different terrain set-ups for the section they may be in, all leading up to the final terrain set-up where the characters will complete the major quest.

Of course, as "'Scape Master" I'll be throwing out what I can (utilizing the unused Heroscape figures and other possibilities.) I'll overall be controlling the events taking place and pitting my players against challenges. I've thought about allowing them to "obtain" special objects or abilities (good for limited use) and utilizing the glyph pieces as these. They have to be used in the right situation and returned to the 'Scape Master upon terminating all uses. Some can only be used in a particular situation (such as relics, artifacts, etc.)

Right now, I need to figure out what I could use to possibly hybrid the original game rules so that Heroscape can be an extended play option with multiple, linking scenarios leading to a final and major goal. I want to use a leveling system that isn't too cumbersome, but something that will take hours to build up (with a possible level cap at 100?) Maybe set it up so players can "unlock" the abilities on their hero cards at specified levels. I suppose if there is a leveling system, then character sheets may be required so that players can keep track of their stats as they earn experience (and if they choose to rename their character entirely and to keep track of inventory, etc.)

If anyone has any thoughts on this, please let me know. I have actually never dabbled much in tabletop RPG's in general and have never DMed before, but I'm interested in doing so. I'm a gamer at heart and I think it's time I get more involved with interactive, multi-person gaming rather than questing it alone on my Xbox 360.

Thanks
-CoyoteProdigy
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:57 PM
http://www.wyoming.gov/

Uchiha Blood knows what's in an order marker Uchiha Blood knows what's in an order marker
Re: Modifying For Extended Play?

I would suggest taking some ideas from the Battle for the Underdark rules. The scenarios in there lay offer a good template that you could expand from.

As far as leveling goes, I would suggest a low level cap. With 100 different levels, it suggests there is a difference between a level 1 and a level 2 character. With Heroscape, that could be a problem because you are limited to changing the base stats and powers. If someone could add 1 to any of their characters base stats at every level, it would quickly get out of hand. Either due to sheer number of dice being rolled or because some special powers break when a much higher number of dice is used.
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun

Welcome to the site!

I suggest looking at kaiyu's Heroes of 'Scape thread.

And you can look at my Legends of Scape thread also.

Both of those involve experience and leveling up.
Old February 18th, 2013, 05:20 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun

Afraid I can't help with any suggestions, CoyoteProdigy. But just wanted to say: Welcome to the site!
Old February 18th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I can't vouch for how good Elmite's Leveling system is, but it has always intrigued me and he clearly put a lot of time into developing it. It could be a winner.

I have a copy of the spreadsheet if you're interested. (I think the link in the post is broken).

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old February 19th, 2013, 01:59 PM

CoyoteProdigy Woo who?

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'm excited to see what I can come up with overall and who I can interest in playing. I also found the software for creating 3D battlefields, and I can't wait to try that out as well.

Here's to hopefully getting serious about 'scaping.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios