Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old April 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness
SF Bay Area - Attrition Tournament - June

Hey NorCal. Took me awhile to get this together, but now that I've hammered out the format, let's get rollin'.

When: June 18th, 2011 - 11am setup, 12pm start time.
Where: Game Kastle

The Event: "Attrition" format drafting tournament. THIS WILL BE A NORCAL TROPHY EVENT.

All players must bring dice, OMs, and the cards and figures for a draft pool of 1200 points. The pool must not contain more than 1x of any Unique, 4x of any Common, or 3x of any Uncommon. It may not have any Marvel.

The Attrition Format:
5 round, swiss style pairings.

Each round players will draft 360 point armies from their own pool. After being paired up for each round, players will have five minutes to draft their armies, with a d20 roll determining who drafts first. First player to draft picks one card from their pool, then the second player picks two cards from their own pool. Then alternate one card at a time till both players cannot or do not wish to draft any further units. Players will place figures in their starting zone as they are drafted, and cannot adjust them after placing. When all drafting is completed, the Tourney Director will roll a D20, and the following formula will be applied to the roll: (d20 result x10) +80. This will be the Retention Value, to be applied at the end of each round. Play will then commence, with 50 minutes given for each round. Matches that come to time will be determined by full card scoring.

At the conclusion of the match, players will choose one card from their drafted army with a point total less than or equal to the Retention Value, and return that card to their draft pool. If a Common card is chosen, and total point value for all the cards of that type in play is less than or equal to the Retention Value, then all of the Commons of that type may be returned to the player's draft pool as if they were 1 card. The rest of the cards in play are subject to attrition, and are removed from the player's draft pool for the duration of the tournament. If by chance a player has no cards priced equal or below the Retention Value, then all cards in play are lost.

Because I know people will have questions, here's some examples:
Spoiler Alert!

Attendees:
1.) Killometer
2.) Serenity
3.) CyborgJustin ~Current NorCal Champion~
4.) Robounit197
5.) cmgames
6.) Personwholives (?)
7.) Menchi (?) Might be busy? What?
8.) Typhon2222
9.) Sertorius
10.) Xonk21 (?)
11.) zyx
12.) Killz (?)
13.) Utgar's Servant
14.) 1moreheroscaper
15.) 2 guests of 1more
16.) Dnutt
17.) Sons of Dnutt (2)
18.) Vikinglad
19.) Guests of Zyx (2)
20. )RoninValentina

18 confirmed, 3 Maybes

Maps: 10 posted, more to follow if needed.

Glyph Pool: Unless fixed by the map available glyphs will be Dagmar, Valda, Wannok, Kelda, and Lodin. If the map uses Treasure Glyphs, the pool for those maps will be Scarab of Invulnerability, Belt of Giant Strength, Ring of Protection, and Elixir of Speed. Standard Treasure glyph trap will be 1 attack die on the offending figure, who does not roll defense.

NOTE: If providing maps, please bring the appropriate Glyph set if you can, but don't sweat it if you cannot- I do have multiple paper copy sets.

Spoiler Alert!

Chirp up if you have any questions, help me pin down the date, and so on. GK should have us scheduled for June 18th already as a BAG day, all I need to do is confirm we have a tournament event and we should be good to go, if that date is good.

Apologies again for taking long enough to get this going, but it's up now. Time to gear up for another awesome NorCal event. Sign up today!

- Heroscape is a standing game. -

Last edited by RoninValentina; June 17th, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:44 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: SF Bay Area - Attrition Tournament - June

Are there a set amount of matches that are expected to be played? I'll need to know how far that 1200 points will go and how to best stretch it out.

Any chance of the tournament being on a Sunday or if it will be on a Saturday is there any chance of it starting at 2 PM? The reigning Nor Cal champ will have swim meets on Saturday mornings (until noon) throughout the summer.
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Looks fun. I expect to be done with my internship looong before then, so I should be good to go.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:25 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

When you said an attrition tournament I thoght u might be take a different route:

It would be interesting seeing a Tournament where you bring say 2,000 Points and then each Round decide how many of those 2,000 Points your army will be, but once you use a unit it is eliminated for the rest of the day.

Would you for example use 700 Points in Match 1 to try to gurantee a win or go with only 350 or 400 and hope to save more points for later rounds.
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
Are there a set amount of matches that are expected to be played? I'll need to know how far that 1200 points will go and how to best stretch it out.

Any chance of the tournament being on a Sunday or if it will be on a Saturday is there any chance of it starting at 2 PM? The reigning Nor Cal champ will have swim meets on Saturday mornings (until noon) throughout the summer.
Unfortunately, it is almost assuredly going to be a Saturday. Saturdays tend to work better for most players from what I remember.

There will be the standard five rounds, I'll make that clear in the OP.

DA:

That is an interesting idea, not too dissimilar from what is presented here. However, the 360 pt limit is derived from multiple players in NorCal expressing interest in a lower point army tourney.

Old April 15th, 2011, 10:37 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

Yeah, your way is better for people who do not have large collections too
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:40 PM

Robotunit197 knows what's in an order marker Robotunit197 knows what's in an order marker

This method is a lot more simpler and balanced than the other format you talked about in the last game day (in which the opponent chooses a figure out of the army you used to go out). I think I'll be able to make this tournament.
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:51 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm in!

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old April 16th, 2011, 12:23 AM

personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby!

I should be there. I look forward to it.

TL;DR: I put a lot of thought into my posts. Please read them before responding, even if they seem long. I try to make my posts useful and worth the time.

Like NERVs? Try my new app! - My customs
Old April 16th, 2011, 01:23 AM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If you're going to put me down as a maybe then you can put Cyborg Justin down as a maybe as well.

If I bring 4 squads of a particular unit in my pool and use 2 of these squads in a round and lose them to attrition I still have unfettered access to the other 2 squads, correct?
Old April 16th, 2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
If you're going to put me down as a maybe then you can put Cyborg Justin down as a maybe as well.

If I bring 4 squads of a particular unit in my pool and use 2 of these squads in a round and lose them to attrition I still have unfettered access to the other 2 squads, correct?
I'm sorry, was I supposed to put you down as a definite? I can do that!

And yeah, if you bring 4x Sentinels and only draft two in a match, then the other two squads will remain in your pool. You can only lose to Attrition what you draft in a round, thus making "aces up your sleeves" entirely possible- saving the best of your draft pool for the last round- balancing that will not losing in the previous rounds, of course. There will be a lot of strategy, and perhaps a bit of gambling with Retention Values throughout the tournament.

Old April 21st, 2011, 05:14 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

RV,

I have a question. Will there be one roll for Retention Value that will then apply to the entire tournament? Or will you roll for a new Retention Value for each round?

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events