Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy
C3G Legacy Archive of all the original discussions and workshops from the first stage of C3G.

Notices

Old October 27th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Self-Destructive Shellfish

L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Public Design Post

I'm definitely an '87 cartoon guy. There is some really great stuff here, I like a combo of all of it. I dig the Warriors 3-esq style bonding, the sledgehammer SA, and the Clumsy Oaf special. For Bebop (going for the cartoon version) it would be cool for the Assault Rifle to become a SA maybe call it Raygun Special Attack. Same mechanics just lock in the attack dice.
Old October 27th, 2017, 09:23 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0B5T3R View Post
I'm definitely an '87 cartoon guy. There is some really great stuff here, I like a combo of all of it. I dig the Warriors 3-esq style bonding, the sledgehammer SA, and the Clumsy Oaf special. For Bebop (going for the cartoon version) it would be cool for the Assault Rifle to become a SA maybe call it Raygun Special Attack. Same mechanics just lock in the attack dice.
While looking to the cartoon for inspiration is fine we do want to make sure it's still in line with the comic version which most of what you say above works but I just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old October 27th, 2017, 10:59 PM
Self-Destructive Shellfish

L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Oh right right. I'm getting carried away here. Ill finish this Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything comic and then dwell Bebop some more.
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Honestly, I much prefer the 'did not wound' bonding than the Warriors Three style one - feels more fitting for these guys basically being incompetent to have the bonding kick in when one of them screws up, and it feels more interesting due to not being a retread. Then again I'm not actually familiar with these guys - the cartoon I know the Turtles from never included them, for some reason. One thing I was wondering, though, is if Mutation would work for their species? I know people have been wondering what species to make them.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Mutate would be fine.

There's actually been a little talk behind-the-scenes about introducing a 'Hybrid' species for all the manimal types, but it would require a handful of card updates and it's largely based on hypothetical future synergy, so it's far from certain that we're doing that.
Old October 28th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Mutate would be fine.

There's actually been a little talk behind-the-scenes about introducing a 'Hybrid' species for all the manimal types, but it would require a handful of card updates and it's largely based on hypothetical future synergy, so it's far from certain that we're doing that.
Mutate is a Marvel/Image specific term, which, IMO, should not be used for characters outside those universes.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old October 28th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Mutate is generic, Metahuman is a DC-specific flavor thing. The fact that Mutate is already pulling double duty on Marvel Universe characters and Invincible characters supports my take here.

And, it's worth noting, Marvel comics might sometimes describe supers as metahumans or a crapload of other techno-babble kind of terms. The use of 'mutate' at Marvel is mainly a wiki/guidebook kind of thing. You won't see the term slung around that much in an actual story, that I can think of. It's not really something that's dripping with Marvel flavor to begin with.

Introducing something like 'Mutation' or whatever just to be "Mutate but for a couple of guys from this one universe" seems unnecessary.
Old October 28th, 2017, 11:29 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Mutate is generic, Metahuman is a DC-specific flavor thing. The fact that Mutate is already pulling double duty on Marvel Universe characters and Invincible characters supports my take here.

And, it's worth noting, Marvel comics might sometimes describe supers as metahumans or a crapload of other techno-babble kind of terms. The use of 'mutate' at Marvel is mainly a wiki/guidebook kind of thing. You won't see the term slung around that much in an actual story, that I can think of. It's not really something that's dripping with Marvel flavor to begin with.

Introducing something like 'Mutation' or whatever just to be "Mutate but for a couple of guys from this one universe" seems unnecessary.
Agree on all of this. Metahuman is DC. Mutate is generic and always has been.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old October 28th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Hard as ice

Mutate isn't generic - there was some confusion about what Brit should be, until it was discovered that Image also used the designation Mutate, just as Marvel does. Also, quite frankly, for use as a generic term... Mutate as a noun is not generally used or accepted - in fact, when I first read Green Goblin's card, I thought you'd made a mistake and had meant to put Mutant, because unless you know what it means in-universe, it doesn't make sense. I would strongly suggest avoiding Mutate in cases where it is not the in-universe term used.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old October 28th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Symbiotic

Looking at Brit's thread, it seems like at least some people were fine with Mutate before they found that wiki page. And, as noted by Lord Pyre, it wasn't a term that really popped up in the stories. Like the Marvel characters, it didn't wind up on Invincible cards because it's some richly flavorful thing that evokes that universe and shouldn't be used elsewhere. It's there because a few comics writers have used it and it was latched onto by the folks who write wikis and need to classify things.

Like wikis, C3G needs to classify things, and a not-so-great way of doing that is making up a new way to say "a human who received superpowers as a result of genetic modification" every time we introduce a character from a yet-uncarded universe.

If TMNT had some special term for super-people, I'd be fine using that on Bebop and Rocksteady. Failing that, Mutate. I'm not claiming it's fallen into general usage, but it's just fine as C3G-generic.
Old October 28th, 2017, 05:14 PM
Never Forgets

laughing matter rolls all skulls baby! laughing matter rolls all skulls baby! laughing matter rolls all skulls baby! laughing matter rolls all skulls baby! laughing matter rolls all skulls baby!

I'm partial to Hybrid myself. Mutates usually seem to be mostly human still, whereas Hybrid implies that the character hasn't really become affected by something else but they've become an equal mixture of two things. Like, for example, Spider-Man is a Mutate but Man-Spider is a Hybrid.

life's short, why not make an impact on the world? make some peoples lives better, have a few good laughs, and then when it's all over go out with BANG!
Old October 29th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing matter View Post
I'm partial to Hybrid myself. Mutates usually seem to be mostly human still, whereas Hybrid implies that the character hasn't really become affected by something else but they've become an equal mixture of two things. Like, for example, Spider-Man is a Mutate but Man-Spider is a Hybrid.
I wasn't too hot on the idea initially, as I wasn't sure I liked the idea of Spider-Man and Lizard being different species, but when you explain it like that, then I'm actually kind of up for it!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy