Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old October 16th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

I like them. I won't address the issue of them being hard to kill; others have addressed that.

But I have no problem with them being very slow fliers and slightly faster walkers. I agree with dok that the bonding power could be dramatically simplified without compromising theme.

I don't have any problem with "Embodiment of Stone," in that both elements are because these creatures are made of stone. The word "Embodiment" suggests an avatar-type relationship, like a "stone" elemental would be a creature that is a shard of the elemental plain of stone on earth. As I understand the traditional gargoyle, it's a thing that is stone, and not an "embodiment" of it. It's a stone creature. Which is why I had already suggested renaming the power "Stone."

I have no problem with the form or color of the minis as gargoyles, but I am curious about their size. Could we get a better comparison shot of them? I am concerned that they might just be too tiny to deliver the theme of "gargoyle."

Lots of interesting thoughts & suggestions from lots of different angles here, fellas. Good luck.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 16th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I don't have a lot of time to say what I want to say here, but for now...

I have played only a little D&D/Pathfinder, and Gargoyles have never come up. I have little no concept for what they are in that lore. The ideas I was going on were that they are creatures, probably demons, that were made of, or possibly trapped in stone, and generally used as guards to protect places. Whether they were strictly good or evil wasn't really something I was too worried about, We just chose demons, because I wanted to give Valkrill more to work with, and it has some interesting synergy.

The name Embodiment of Stone has about 10 - 15 different names we were choosing from, we just thought that it sounded the coolest. Another one from that list that might work better is Stone Figure.

As for size, these guy really are small. The pose they are in really doesn't help that. They would be about 4 tiles tall if they were standing straight up. Unfortunately they are crouching in standard gargoyle fashion, so they really don't look very big, only being about 2 tiles tall by the position of their head.
Old October 16th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I wasn’t talking about d&d or pathfinder gargoyles. I was talking about the creatures that look like statues attached to buildings but sometimes come to life. Made of stone. I imagine that most people picture them that way. Things made of stone, somehow animated.

= =
Old October 17th, 2017, 05:33 AM

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I wasn’t talking about d&d or pathfinder gargoyles. I was talking about the creatures that look like statues attached to buildings but sometimes come to life. Made of stone. I imagine that most people picture them that way. Things made of stone, somehow animated.
The part about D&D and Pathfinder was more directed towards Ixe, I just didn't @ him, or quote anything.

@Ixe If we left them as demons, would it be a deal breaker for you? A big reason we chose Demons was because we wanted these to be for Valkrill, and Morgoloth didn't have any Valkrill units that Swarming Vermin worked with. The Darkprowl Thrall fills that void now, so it's not as relevant, but it was a major factor in our process.
Old October 17th, 2017, 05:54 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm not the only judge, I'm just sharing my opinion of the unit. You could try to theme them as Rock or Stone Quasits and that's why they're demons but I think you lose a lot of the resonance that way. I see what you're going for, I just don't think the pieces quite fit.

The Darkprowl Thralls don't really fill that void (partly because they really play into thrall armies). Morgoloth could easily use small demons to use both Swarming Vermin and his Demon Leadership but even that feels like a mismatch with your theme of heavy, stone gargoyles.
Old October 17th, 2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
I'm not the only judge, I'm just sharing my opinion of the unit. You could try to theme them as Rock or Stone Quasits and that's why they're demons but I think you lose a lot of the resonance that way. I see what you're going for, I just don't think the pieces quite fit.

The Darkprowl Thralls don't really fill that void (partly because they really play into thrall armies). Morgoloth could easily use small demons to use both Swarming Vermin and his Demon Leadership but even that feels like a mismatch with your theme of heavy, stone gargoyles.
You might be only one of the judges, but if you don't approve it, that's already a strike, and it only really seems to take 2 downvotes to stop a submission. I didn't know what a Quasit was until I googled it just now. If we changed the planet to something else, so that it wasn't looking to draw from D&D lore, would that help any?

The Darkprowl Thrall fills the void in that, it's the only Valkrill unit that can use Swarming Vermin. Giving a movement bonus can be very powerful, and having a slower moving squad ensures that there isn't too much power behind that bonus. I proposed 4 move over 5 both because they become a move 7 with Morgoloth if they have a move 5, because we had already decided to give them a movement bonus if they didn't use Flying.

There seems to be a lot of interest in having Gargoyles, but the way in which we have done it is showing enough signs of push back that I think we need to rework some stuff. I have a few ideas to consider and discuss with Scaperedude.
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

If you *wanted* gargoyles, I think the natural direction is a high-defense flyer that can transform into a statute. How you implement that theme is up to you.

As I recall, dok implemented that theme in his version of a gargoyle, but I don't remember how he did it. I have my own idea, which might or might not be related to what he did because I don't specifically remember. Using D&D worlds will always get you in trouble with the D&D faithful, unless you are true to the source material.

= =
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:27 AM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Good feedback for Leaf_it, looking forward to hearing what you and scaperdude come up with. Hope to see some playtesting results also before they come back to the Pre-SOV workshop thread.

Good start though!

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:29 AM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Good feedback for Leaf_it, looking forward to hearing what you and scaperdude come up with. Hope to see some playtesting results also before they come back to the Pre-SOV workshop thread.

Good start though!
I'm hoping to get some playtesting in this Friday! Thanks for the feedback everyone!

H E R O S C A P E
Old October 17th, 2017, 09:53 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
If you *wanted* gargoyles, I think the natural direction is a high-defense flyer that can transform into a statute. How you implement that theme is up to you.

As I recall, dok implemented that theme in his version of a gargoyle, but I don't remember how he did it.
I remember seeing a version that I thought was a really cool idea. I think it was dok's. It dealt with order markers, or rather lack therof, triggering stone form. If there were no order markers on the card, it meant they took stone form and got an automatic shield added to defense. Simple, yet so thematic. I would have liked to see it paired with an ability that makes it tempting to use them, rather than just bring them out then park them in key spots. I think that's what the design ultimately lacked. Units that offer interesting choices are the best design, but I really liked where that design was going.
Old October 18th, 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmon View Post
Quote:

As I recall, dok implemented that theme in his version of a gargoyle, but I don't remember how he did it.
I remember seeing a version that I thought was a really cool idea. I think it was dok's. It dealt with order markers, or rather lack therof, triggering stone form. If there were no order markers on the card, it meant they took stone form and got an automatic shield added to defense. Simple, yet so thematic. I would have liked to see it paired with an ability that makes it tempting to use them, rather than just bring them out then park them in key spots. I think that's what the design ultimately lacked. Units that offer interesting choices are the best design, but I really liked where that design was going.
Yeah, we looked at that design. I liked the idea of turning to stone when they aren't moving, but the issue is that it required you not to have any order markers, and for a common Squad, that just wouldn't work. A defensive ability with a similar feel could work if you used counters, but I want to avoid using counters, as I think they over complicate things, and take up too much card space.
Old October 18th, 2017, 07:18 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I've seen those minis in person and they are small. Small enough that anything over 2 attack would be a hard sell. they are also pretty light in colour and to my eyes don't inspire stone.

Painted and used as imps would be the ideal use IMHO. One thing SoV and C3V pride themselves on is for a unit to have stats powers and a mini that all work together to represent on a theme. I'm afraid tiny gargoyles might not stand up to that litmus test.

Actually calling them stone imps might work... but they still look unpainted.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards