Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Dungeons and Dragons Scenarios
Dungeons and Dragons Scenarios This is the place to put all of our D&D adventure type scenarios. Come here when you want to browse user submitted adventures.

Notices

Old January 4th, 2010, 08:44 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: KC's Scenarios, Campaigns, Traps and Random Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

Seemed like the place for it. I am very impressed with the detail and "feel" of your tourney cycle. It is the first campaign idea for Heroscape to excite me. I'm going to rip it off totally and see how Chas likes it, for our semi-regular Wednsday evening games.

David
Thanks! I'm pretty excited to see how it works for an actual tournament. My ultimate vision is to combine the town system used there into a dungeon crawl scenario to create an RPG effect, and....

Actually, this kind of leads into my second "Random Idea" - an entire "Overworld" that a party could traverse and encounter monsters. Within the Overworld, there could be towns, castles, dungeons, etc. to create a huge campaign.

Overworld ideas:

Spoiler Alert!

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; January 11th, 2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:16 AM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Well, I've decided to just go for the gusto with my campaign. I'm scrapping the Four "Other" Crystals idea and creating a different campaign based solely in Valhalla and centered around the 15 mysterious Amulets contained within each Wellspring.

The Campaign (working title "The Betrayals of Utgar) is set after the War of the Valkyrie in a time of truce on Valhalla. The amulets were collected and returned to the Wellsprings from which they came after Utgar was defeated, though he remains a Valkyrie and in control of a Wellspring in Bleakewoode, where his fortress remains. Also, the war ended before all of the Wellsprings were located.

The campaign heroes (TBD, but will most likely include ROTV Drake and Raelin, and probably Syvarris) will begin the game in Nostrauland at Jandar's fortress, and can move through Valhalla using an Overworld map (I have a prototype put together that needs tweaked a bit - it's based on the geographical map of Valhalla that can be seen here), where they'll randomly encounter monsters that they can defeat to earn Gold (equal to the monster's Point value). The monsters will vary in strength depending on where in Valhalla the heroes are, and will increase in strength as the campaign progresses. Spread out on the Overworld map will be glyphs that represent Towns, Fortresses, Caves and other areas that the heroes can enter. The towns will contain shops, inns, taverns and churches similar to The Secrets of Breccon (see page 1), where the heroes can rest and stock up on equipment and items. The Fortresses will either be like a town, or possibly contain a dungeon, and the caves and other areas will be dungeons that are represented by separate maps. Additional heroes will be found in towns, fortresses, some secrets, etc. to be recruited into the party.

I'm going to keep the four dungeouns I've already created and modify them a bit for this campaign.

Betrayal of Utgar Overall Special Rules:

The Player begins the game at Jandar's Fortress in Nastrauland. The party consists of:

Drake RotV
Raelin RotV
Syvarris

The Player will begin the game with 500 Gold, and may spend that at the shops in Jandar's Fortress if they wish.

When they leave the Fortress, they must journey to other locations in Valhalla by moving on the Overworld. When moving through the Overworld, just use one figure (usually Drake, but it doesn't matter) to represent the party. The party can only move on Level 1 of the Overworld (meaning that Level 2 and Level 0 tiles block your movement). Do not use the Movement value on your unit's Army Cards - just move the party from hex to hex until you reach a location on the map, or a random encounter. The party can also Save their progress anywhere on the Overworld map at anytime. If they do, place a glyph (or other designated placeholder) on that hex to represent where the party has last Saved, and record the Party, Treasures owned and Gold owned. If the party Saves their progress after that, remove the placeholder, and re-record. If the party is completely killed in battle, the campaign resumes at the point of the last Save, and any Treasure and Gold acquired from the point of the last Save to when they die are lost.

Fortresses and Towns

While at a Valkyrie Fortress or Town, the Heroes can do a few things:

Visit that Town's Shop (see the first page for what can be purchased in each shop)
Visit the Inn (the Heroes can pay 40 Gold per Hero that wishes to stay at the Inn. You may remove all Wound Markers from any Hero that stays at the Inn).
Visit the Church (you may pay the Point Cost of a dead Hero and the priest at the Church will resurrect him).
Change the Main Party (you may switch out Heroes from the Main Party for Heroes you have recruited that aren't currently being used. You may not switch dead Heroes into or out of the Main Party. The Main Party will be the Heroes used in Dungeons, Battles and Random Encounters).
Do other stuff specific to the Town/Fortress (like receive information from townsfolk/Valkyrie, recruit additional Heroes, or fight in the collisseum at Jotungard)

Random Encounters

Before moving, the Player must roll one 6-sided die. The result represents how many hexes you can move the party without finding a random encounter. For example, if I roll a 3, I would move 3 hexes normally, but the next hex I step on will be a random encounter.

When a random encounter occurs, the Player immediately places the party on starting zone spaces on the random encounter battlefield that corresponds with the terrain type the on which the party found the encounter (there will be separate, very small maps for Grass, Sand, Snow, Lava and Swamp. The other terrain types aren't present on the Overworld for random encounters). The DM then consults the Bestiary, noting the region of the Overworld and the combat die result (skull = weakest, shield = medium, symbol = strongest monsters of the region) and places the monsters on their starting zone spaces. Players then place Order Markers, roll initiative and battle until either the Player or DM is completely defeated. If the party wins, they acquire Gold equal to the Point cost of the monsters they killed. If they lose, restart the campaign at the last Save point.

Battle Points

When the party steps onto a Battle Point, they immediately enter into a battle more akin to a regular, kill 'em all Heroscape game. There will usually be "Guest" units that are automatically part of the battle. The Player uses Heroes from the party to round out the point total.

Dungeons

When the party enters a cave, they immediately begin a dungeon-crawl scenario. The Main Party of Heroes are the ones that go into the dungeon. The Main Party can only be changed at a Valkyrie Fortress or town. Once inside the dungeon, they cannot change Heroes, even at Save Points (special places inside a dungeon where the Player can Save their progress in case they die later in that Dungeon). They cannot leave the dungeon until they complete it, unless they are killed and restart at a prior Save on the Overworld. Upon completion of the dungeon, the Player's progress is automatically Saved on the Overworld just outside the dungeon. If a dungeon was in a cave that has two openings (like how Migol's Tomb Caverns connect the east and west halfs of the Overworld, and the cave in Ticalla), the Heroes appear at the opening they did not enter when the dungeon is complete. Also, if they re-enter that cave, they may choose not to play through the dungeon.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; February 5th, 2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

Awesome idea!!! I like how you have gold in your scenario. Also basing your adventure of the actual map of Valhalla is pretty cool!
Old January 13th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Thanks! It's gonna take some time to finish though. I'm going to try to devote an hour to it per night after kiddiecactus falls asleep.

By the way - the Overworld is gonna be pretty big. The prototype I have put together right now needs the following to build it:

3 RotV
1 SotM
1 TT
1 Lava
1 Jungle
1 Dungeon (for water and shadow only)
1 Road (for trees)

I'm gonna see what I can do to cut it down to just 2 RotV, but even so it requires quite a bit of terrain. On top of that, you'll have to build small battlegrounds for use in the random encounters (which I'm trying to build using leftover terrain from the Overworld requirements).

To circumvent that for players that don't have the terrain to build the Overworld map plus the extra dungeons, there'll be a specific order the dungeons are meant to be played in (determined by the difficulty of each, and also by terrain obstacles in the Overworld) and I'll post that, so players can just skip the Overworld parts if they want and go from dungeon to dungeon in the campaign. The player will probably miss some gold and maybe a secret or two doing this, though. I'll have to find a way to compensate for that.

EDIT: I just remembered Cavalier's awesome Lexan Mats. The Overworld would be an excellent time to use something like this and save the terrain for the actual battles and dungeons. The only terrain that needs to go on the mat are to mark where the heroes can't step because of water, mountains, etc, and glyphs to represent the towns, etc.

Yay 4,000 posts!

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; January 13th, 2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hey KC, if I'm reading this correctly you're basically using the overworld map as a way for the party to move around right? So wouldn't someone who doesn't have the terrain resources to set up the map and the battlefields be able to use a printout (or two) to handle that?

I'm thinking maybe an overhead shot of the VS rendering might work. But I suppose that would really depend on how much elevation matters in overland movement, though that wouldn't be an insurmountable problem.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xn F M View Post
Hey KC, if I'm reading this correctly you're basically using the overworld map as a way for the party to move around right? So wouldn't someone who doesn't have the terrain resources to set up the map and the battlefields be able to use a printout (or two) to handle that?

I'm thinking maybe an overhead shot of the VS rendering might work. But I suppose that would really depend on how much elevation matters in overland movement, though that wouldn't be an insurmountable problem.
Elevation has absolutely no bearing on Overworld movement. On the Overworld, the player can only move on Level 1 unless he has a boat/airship (not that a boat or airship will be available in the campaign ). I envision just a Drake figure that represents the entire party to move from hex to hex along the Overworld until they get to a town/fortress, enter a cave/battlefield, or step on a random encounter hex.

So yes, some sort of 2D printout would work just fine - if it's big enough for a figure to walk on. The real purpose of the overworld is to dictate the flow of the campaign by using terrain blockers such as mountains and rivers to force the party to take a particular route, to control the strength of the enemies faced and to provide random encounters along the way (just like in every RPG video game ever created). It represents the journey from say, Nostrauland to Ekstrom as the heroes travel from Jandar's fortress to Ullar's.

What would be ideal is a big printout of the geographical map of Valhalla with a semi-transparent Lexan-style hex diagram super-imposed on top of it, and each hex being different colors, which represent either non-traverseable terrain or one of the colors in the random encounter grid. Then the players could lay down the mat, put rock hexes / trees / glaciers / what have you on the non-traversable hexes and move along the others while the DM checks for encounters. I might try and create something like this for download. It might even be possible to do it in VS if there's a way to get a "life-size" printout.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Thanks! It's gonna take some time to finish though. I'm going to try to devote an hour to it per night after kiddiecactus falls asleep.
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:56 PM

Here's my VS layout of the Overworld for Betrayals of Utgar. I'll get a download of it with build instructions up tonight, but I think the overhead shot of it here is the best for what it is. The build requirements for the entire map (currently) are:

RotV x4
SotM x1
RttFF (trees only) x1
VW x1
TT x1
Jungle x1
Dungeon (shadow tiles only - could be replaced with glyphs - maybe Crevcor, since C is for cave?) x1

However, the map is basically divided in half diagonally down the middle by the mountains. The flow of the campaign will be such that a player can build the northeast portion first, play through it, and then build the southwest portion, which should make it possible to be built with RotV x2, at least. I need to get the build requirements for those individual "halves".

As I said earlier in the thread, though, I want to work on a 2D version of this map that players can print out and use. I'll make a small version of it using Virtualscape to start with.

I think I did a decent job of copying the geographical Valhallan map. The starting zone colors that you see break the map into regions for monsters, which get stronger as you advance through the campaign. The glyphs represent towns, fortresses, and fixed battle points. I don't know if you can see them, but they're as follows:

Jalguard - Jandar's fortresses
Unilava - Ullar fortress
Valda - Vydar's fortress
Erland - Einar's fortress
Astrid - Aquilla's fortress
Kelda - Kyrien mountains (Utgar's) fortress
Thorian - Towns
Brandar - Battles of Stechavan Ruins, Searing Pass, Wolf Swamp Road, the Wellspring of Obsession and a couple more.

The Shadow spaces represent caves that take the player to a dungeon.

Here's the bestiary (note - if you're going to play through the campaign, you might not want to read this just yet, as it kinda spoils the order in which you'll play the areas, since the monsters grow in difficulty as the campaign progresses). The x2, x3, etc. don't refer to 2 squads of the named unit, but rather 2 or 3 units. For example, 4th Mass x2 (not a monster in here, btw) means half a squad of Mass, not 2 squads. Heroes that defeat these monsters in a random encounter on the Overworld earn Gold equal to their point value using Partial Scoring. You'll notice all of the monsters that use partial squads divide evenly, keeping things clean.

Spoiler Alert!

This bestiary is only for use on the Overworld in a random encounter. The dungeons will have their own specific bestiary, and the monsters for each room will start on the map like a normal game of Heroscape. I'm going to try to make the dungeons in such a way that a player only needs two expansion sets to build each (mostly two D&D sets) by building small rooms with Save Points intermittently into the dungeons. That way, a player can play through part of a dungeon, Save their game, and disassemble the previous rooms to build the next rooms of the dungeon, starting at the Save point. There will also be a Save point before a "boss" battle.

"Boss" battles will be even more like a regular, kill 'em all game of Heroscape. Each boss battle will have a boss, along with its minions, that you have to defeat. With a Save point right before the bosses room, the heroes can heal up and start there if they lose. The battles on the Overworld marked with Brandar glyphs will be similar to boss battles. They'll be played on specific maps, incluing Migol's Tomb and Searing Pass.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; October 19th, 2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:09 PM

Betrayals of Utgar - Prologue (I love me some backstory)

The people of Nostrauland have lived peacefully these past years since the War of the Valkyrie ended with Utgar's defeat at the hands of the great Valkyrie Alliance. The evil Archkyrie surrendered control of the Wellsprings outside of Bleakewoode and returned the Amulets to their rightful places. With some of the Wellsprings left undiscovered at the end of the war, the 15 Amulets could not be united to form a portal into the various worlds from which Valkyrie lords summonned their soldiers. However, with Valhalla at peace, the new residents of Nostrauland have found a place for themselves in their new homes.

Sergeant Drake Alexander - a great hero of the Valkyrie War - serves in Jandar's court as a guide and advisor along with the other Kyrie. It's been some time since Alexander has seen peace, and he planned to bask in it. He formed a close friendship with Raelin the Merciful, who saved his life (and he hers) many times during their travels at war. Together with Thormun of Taeleron, they aid Jandar as he rules the kingdom of Nostrauland.

On an early bright spring morning, Jandar's fortress received a visitor - Syvarris, the mightly (albeit arrogant) Elven warrior of Ullar - Jandar's ally to the east in Ekstrom. Syvarris was also influential in the War of the Valkyrie - his archery skills were unmatched on Feylund from where he hails, and are unmatched here on Valhalla. Today, however, Syvarris was not here to reminesce their glory.

Earlier just this week, Ullar's fortress was broken into during the night. Ullar's first reaction was to fear the worst - that Utgar's armies were once again on the move, and the war had recommenced. However, no one was hurt - no one was even disturbed. The thief was able to infiltrate and leave Ullar's fortress in Ekstrom completely undetected, and made off with two valuable treasures - the fabled Looking Glass of Ullar with which he communicated with the other Valkyrie during the war, and the Amulet of his Wellspring.

Syvarris explained that the people of Ekstrom are unaware of the thief, and Ullar would like to keep it that way. The people of Valhalla deserve some time at peace, and Ullar does not desire to stir panic and despair. Instead, he sent Syvarris to find and apprehend the culprit. Ullar believes that the perpetrator had to be heavily trained in the arts of stealth and secrecy, and therefore plans for Syvarris to travel to Anund and consult Vydar to determine if any of his skilled agents had abandoned his cause and possibly had motives of their own. In order to portray to Vydar that the old alliance is still strong and send a message of good faith, Ullar has requested that Jandar also send a representative.

Jandar, agreeing with Ullar and in fear of igniting the fires of distrust again, gave Syvarris not one, but two companions - his most trusted heroes. Sergeant Alexander and Raelin.

So, the three heroes set off on their journey to Montfre Manor to consult Vydar...

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; January 18th, 2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:03 PM

I added some Ancient Artifacts to the Breccon treasures. In the Breccon tournament, there should be one Ancient Artifact available on each map in the tourney.

Each map would contain 3 Treasure Glyphs - 2 would contain 50 gold, and 1 would contain either 50 gold, 100 gold, or the Ancient Artifact for that map, determined by a combat die roll (skull = 50, shield = 100, symbol = artifact). I'd probably use glyphs of Brandar for the 50 gold treasures, and Brandar's Chest for the random. It'd be better to switch them, but since most players have more glyphs of Brandar, that'd be better.

I think the final map probably have 4-5 Treasure glyphs in the Wellspring room, all within Clear Sight of the Braxas statue.

Also, since the glyphs available for purchase in the Shop will be the same for Betrayals of Utgar, I've color coded them to show where they're available. It goes along with the bestiary as a bit of a teaser as to how the campaign progresses. I have an outline of the story already hashed out, but am still working on the details. I hope to get some VS'ing done over the weekend and some pics of the dungeons up soon.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:42 PM

I added the first dungeon in the Betrayals of Utgar campaign - The Caverns Beneath Migol's Tomb. I have a link to the download, build instructions and scenario instructions in the first post.

If you wanted to build the entire dungeon, you would need 5 D&D sets. However, there are 2 Save Points (the 7 hex sand pieces with Violet start spaces that surround a glyph of Sturla) in the dungeon that the heroes can use to save their progress. Once they reach a Save Point, they'll never have to play the prior two rooms, so they can be disassembled and used for the next two rooms. Or, since each room only needs 1 D&D set to build, if that's all you have, you can play it one room at a time.

There's some backstory in the instructions here, and you'll see there's a bit of a gap between what I have posted above and that. I'll fill that in soon enough, but I wanted to get this up here since it's my first downloadable dungeon I've actually posted to the thread.

I think, if you just played through this with a 500 point army of heroes, you'd be pretty hard-pressed to win it. The heroes will need many healing items to make it through alive. If you want to try the dungeon outside of the scenario, I'd go about it like this:

The Players army gets:

Drake RotV - 110
Raelin RotV - 190
Syvarris - 290
Other non-Huge heroes that don't follow Utgar - 210

I'd give the party 5 Potions of Healing and 5 Glyphs of Sturla (see first post of this thread for rules on those glyphs) at least to start. The campaign party will have been to a couple towns and through a couple random and non-random battles before they reach here, giving them ample Gold to buy some stuff.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this!

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:36 AM

Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just so you know, the link to Migol's Tomb Caverns isn't complete. The instructions for the battlefield are, but the story isn't.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Dungeons and Dragons Scenarios