Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old May 1st, 2008, 10:28 PM
Forum Moderator

ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby!
Evolution vs Creation, Youtube series

First off, I'm not here to offend anyone and I don't want it to turn into that. I've done a lot of searching and reading and thinking and over the years I've come to accept that I'm not religious. That doesn't mean I'm Atheist or Agnostic. I'm not religious. I know what I think and believe and that's what's important to me. I'm a strong believer that everyone should be entitled to think whatever they want and I've never judged or talked down on or against anyone for their beliefs. That's not saying that others haven't come at me, though.

Anyway, my older brother was writing a paper for one of his college courses on Evolution vs Creationism. He had been watching a series of movies on youtube on the matter and came down last night to share them with me. This specific series at many times almost seemed like a joke. The woman hosting says at the beginning to "leave your prejudices...behind" yet the entire series talks down on Evolution and it's "scientific lies." I have trouble putting into words what I'm trying to say and don't want to unintentionally offend or insult anyone so I'm just going to ask you to watch and see for yourself.

This is the first video in the series, you can find links to the rest of them in the related movies and such areas.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2cpNjyVvqK0

Keep in mind that I'm specifically talking about THIS series and not the theory of Creation. I don't want to go on because I know that I'll somehow end up saying something wrong out of ignorance, if I haven't already.

Anyway, I'm just curious to see what you think. I'd like to apologize in advance if this gets out of hand, although I'm hopeful that it won't.

Guess who's back, back again? Chilli's back. Tell Skahen.
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:33 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Re: Evolution vs Creation, Youtube series

I know what you mean. I am religious, but I still get upset when they can't accept that other people believe other things.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:49 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to accomplish with this thread. As best I can tell you merely want to know if other 'Scapers agree that this particular video seems hypocritical in that it requests that the viewer leave their prejudices behind and then launches into a seemingly prejudicial presentation. I guess all I can say to that is that I think she assumes her audience generally believes in evolution and that she is requesting their willingness to try to leave any preconceived notions behind as they view the presentation.

For the rest of it - excuse my bluntness but, why do you care? If you are indeed nonreligious then the subject should be of little interest to you, right?

~Aldin, salt and peppered by the moths

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:16 PM
Forum Moderator

ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
If you are indeed nonreligious then the subject should be of little interest to you, right?
Wrong. I'm always willing to listen to the other side. The subject interests me and when I can I like to learn more about both sides of the argument. I don't think there's a way that I can really KNOW anything on the matter for sure so I like to get what I can.

My point was that yes, I found these videos hypocritical in many ways and wanted to see and hear the opinions of others on the series. It's hard to watch and make an unbiased judgment, even when you are attempting to be open-minded. I don't want to sound ignorant, although I'm sure I do. I guess I also wanted to just kind of see where people stand and why, but I've seen that spark some pretty intense arguments and I don't think that this is exactly the place for that so I tried to keep it to the videos.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:35 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

I bet you this is going to turn into a religious debate.

And when it does, I'll say, "I told you so."

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:58 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
I bet you this is going to turn into a religious debate.

And when it does, I'll say, "I told you so."
Um..thanks for the input? If you read my posts I said more than once that just that was obviously expected but hopefully discouraged as this was not why the thread was made. So don't worry, I'll be right here to tell myself so.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:58 AM

soberman knows what's in an order marker soberman knows what's in an order marker

I will say that it appears at the outset that you are equating Christians with hypocrites. Not sure if that was intention or subconscious, but it seems to be the case.

The reasons the fundamentalists react in knee-jerk ways and come across as hypocrites is actually, as Aldin alluded, because they find themselves having to defend their position more and more over time. What was once conventional wisdom is going by the wayside. People tend to get defensive when their beliefs, especially cherished ones that they identify with, are under attack, and the makers of these videos clearly believe that is what they are experiencing.

So, this response is not symptomatic of it's being a christian thing. Rather, it is a human thing. Let's leave it at that and be friends?
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberman View Post
I will say that it appears at the outset that you are equating Christians with hypocrites. Not sure if that was intention or subconscious, but it seems to be the case.
Not at all, I worried people would take it like that but that's why I added the little bit reminding that I'm only talking about this series. I've seen some pretty decent arguments for the side of creation that really made me think but these just seemed to be bashing. And again, I do not have anything against anyone due to their beliefs. In all honesty I think I was hoping this topic would open up some discussion because I'm interested in hearing what different people believe and why. At the same time I didn't want it to get heated, I've seen that matters of religion often can.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:38 AM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

You have stated multiple times here you don't intend the discussion to get heated, etc... Seems to me if that was the intention you have picked the wrong topic. A thread with the name: "Evolution vs Creation, Youtube series" is going to attract some readers who are just looking for an arguement. Folks on both sides of the issue will have some very strong opinions. So if you did really not intend to create controversy or want a heated arguement...good luck with that. I hope nobody takes the bait, or it WILL get out of hand very quickly.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:18 AM

meatcircus Woo who?

New here...
What an interesting find on a forum about gaming, heheh.

Anyway.

I am a "believer". I am not religious in the least bit. I can relate to chillidog. Even though I haven't watched the Youtube series, and refuse to, I can already guess what most of it says, and the general tone of the series all together. I've seen the same thing over and over again in movies railing against rock music, witchcraft, fornication, and all kinds of other 'sins' that the 'church' is trying to save you from. I think the reason why the 'non-church-folk' pick up on the hypocritic vibe in these media offerings about the creation/evolution debate is because the Christians often feel attacked and ridiculed because of their belief. So they respond with a very defensive attitude and sort of a macho posturing, if such a thing is existent in an intellectual debate.

When I attended a church regularly, I was asked to do an adult study on the the creation/evolution debate. The first thing I sought out was criticism of evolution from a non christian source. You can't hold out any hope for discrediting something if you take your evidence from something most people in the opposing camp find incredible (the bible).

The best book I found on the matter was called "Darwin's Black Box" by Michael Behe. The dude is a microbiologist without any affiliation to a creationist believing religion (I believe he is a non practicing roman catholic) and has a very hard time believing evolution on a micro level is even possible.

Of course the dude gets all kinds of bad rep for it.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:41 AM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!

Hooo boy.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborocket View Post
A thread with the name: "Evolution vs Creation, Youtube series" is going to attract some readers who are just looking for an arguement.

The first rule of evolution vs creation fight club is that you don't talk about evolution vs creation fight club!

The second rule of evolution vs creation fight club is that YOU DO NOT TALK about evolution vs creation fight club.

Eighth and final rule of evolution vs creation fight club, if this is your first night at evoultion vs creation fight club, you have to fight.

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General