Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old October 31st, 2011, 08:28 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Home Court Advangtage

Back when Heroscape first came out, I looked at the three basic terrain types. As a wargamer, I didn't see much point to having different color terrain without different terrain effects. As an experiment, I came up with the following Way Back Then:

Grass: No special movement.

Sand: All hexes count double to enter.

Rock: 1. All mounted units (Cavalry on horses, and all riders on dinosaurs and other creatures) pay double to enter.

2. All units get +1 Defense against nonadjacent attacks.

I abandoned these ideas when playing with others. However, I kept the idea of terrain advantage for the "home team" of defenders, especially for Game Master run figures who had to hold out against player teams, in the back of my mind. My current group of players, who don't want to regularly alter the Classic Scape rules, are happy to experiement with special scenario rules on a one time only basis. I haven't tried Home Court Advantage out, but it seems to make sense. One example would be giving snow type Army Cards double movement on snow (see Customs: Maps and Scenarios, Avalanche! thread). This should work particularly well in helping melee type characters out against range characters.

In general, Heroscape doesn't do much with terrain. There are few Cards with terrain based advantages (Dumutef Guards, Dzu-Teh, Obsidian Guards Brunak, and the more recent Lava Resistant types like Iron Golem and Fire Giant, Quasatch Hunters who bear a strange resemblace to Dzu-Te, etc.). Only some terrain features have game effects (water, lava field and molten lava, jungle trees and bushes, shadow). Greater Ice Elemental and Mikka Connour are the only characters to change or add to terrain during a game. (see also my new active volcano rules in Customs: Maps and Scenarios, The Lost Altar thread).

It makes sense that the inhabitants of a land would know the terrain better, and have adapted to it. This is idea behind the Army Cards noted above. Another way to add special terrain (or even combat) advantages would be to give it to the side or army that is defending. Perhaps these defenders are starting in the middle of the board, or outnumbered (for game balance, or to provide a cooperative player team with a challenge. Perhaps they all can pop through certain terrain, like the Dzu-Teh! Do the Greenscale Warriors always disappoint you, even with the new C3V hero working with them? How about giving them double movement in swamp and swamp water?

Have you already tried out this kind of idea? How did it work for you?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions