Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old January 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
thanks markwars . in that case i'll make everyone wait a little longer

still down. i've been assured it will be back up within the next two days.

when it does come back up i have a new little something to show off.
Old January 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM

auralerogeny is surprisingly tart
Looking forward to the updates! Love the site Gary, go there often to check on things...

And I was also wondering what happened to my avatar, now I know!

P.S. I have been dying to know, how did you create the "video" of the map in your avatar? Do you have a "how-to" somewhere on the site? If not, I'd be really interested in that information. Thanks again!

Click to see more...
Old January 1st, 2007, 09:49 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
thanks auralerogeny. so yes, when our avatars come back that's when you'll know my site is back up.

there's no real easy way show you exactly how i made my avatar. it basically took SolidScape, Jasc Animation Shop and a lot of patience.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Spin Master

all systems go.
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Spin Master

welp, i've got some good news and some bad news.

the good news is, my website is now "XML based" which allows me to do some pretty cool things. for those of you who have looked at my HexScape thread, you will notice i'm absorbing it into my website in order to build a map database. currently it just has Hasbro maps with a dirt simple table to access them. this database is under construction but i have big plans. i'm also working on some improvements to the map graphics (i plan to allow users to choose different page styles, like "black background" or "white background" or "printer friendly" or "black and white" (using patterns instead of colors like LandScape does). so stay tuned...

the bad news for some of you (most of you?) that use my site is i had to slam the door on Internet Explorer. because of the way i'm marking up my webpages, IE can't handle it because the parser it uses for XHTML isn't a truely "xml aware" parser. although it seems just about every other browser out there can handle my changes. (there are some hoops i could jump through to make IE work but i'd rather not go down that path.) Microsoft has some serious catching up to do...
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Happily I am not IE dependent. Thanks again for all your efforts Gary. I was using your site just today in fact.

Old March 14th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Spin Master

thanks markwars.

you know i just realized i may have slammed the door on more than just IE. bascially it comes down to the way i'm using SVG (scalable vector graphics). i chose to put the SVG markup "in-line" with the XHTML rather than make separate SVG files and link them in with the <object> element in HTML/XHTML.

so basically this means my site only works for browser that have "native SVG support" like Firefox, Opera, Camino, Konqueror. i think once Apple comes out with Mac OS X Leopard this year, Safari will be able to view the map graphics on my site.

an SVG plug-in may not work because i'm using SVG in-line. hmm... i think i may have gotten a little too close to the cutting edge with this SVG stuff.
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
There's nothing wrong with staying ahead of the curve.

And for future reference I view your site with Firefox.
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Spin Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
There's nothing wrong with staying ahead of the curve.

And for future reference I view your site with Firefox.
if you use Firefox then you're good to go.

Firefox is my browser of choice as well but i'm also liking Opera lately.

btw, Wii uses Opera for web browsing (which Nintendo will start charging a service fee for soon...morons.) so Wii can also view the SVG graphics (currently just the Hasbro maps) on my site.
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:06 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!
Kewl! I got a copy of the site. Thanks Gary!

Old March 18th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Spin Master

you're welcome Ugly-Caco.

update for everyone...thanks to some push-back from folks (this means you Grungebob ) who may not use Firefox or Opera browsers, i've been working on a more cross-platform version of my website now that i've added SVG (Scalable Vector Graphis) to the mix.

at first i tried going with "in-line" SVG, but this was a bit too bleeding edge. even browsers that have native SVG support like Firefox and Opera appear to have some wrinkles to iron out with the in-line approach.

so instead of in-line, i'm using the <object> element from HTML/XHTML to "link-in" external SVG files. this method will work for pretty much any browser that has either native SVG support or an SVG plug-in (if it lacks native support). i'll put instructions on the site for where to get the plug-in.

the changes aren't live yet, but it's looking good so far locally on my laptop. it should go live in a day or two. i've tested it on Firefox (with and without the plug-in), Opera, IE (with plug-in) and Netscape (with plug-in). when it does go live i'd appreciate if a Safari user could try it out for me. (Safari may have problems with the <object> approach from what i've heard...)
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Spin Master

the battlefield graphics are looking good (although they come up a bit slow...i'm looking into this.)

Opera and Firefox show the graphics without needing an SVG plug-in.

but IE, Netscape, etc can see them once the plugin is installed.

the battlefield/scenario webpages don't print out nicely yet. i'll be working on this sometime in the near future.

if anyone has trouble viewing the battlefield graphics...post here.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion