Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old December 1st, 2010, 01:18 PM

spidey Woo who?
A brand new Heroscaper's very first custom attempt

This site is wonderful! I have dropped in and looked around many times in the past. The fan-created content on this site is extremely impressive.

I have been itching to try my own hand at a custom for a long time so here goes...

I found this figure in a clearance shop. It looks something like a gargoyle so I went with that. I call him the Gargoyle of Dryxx. I'm particularly interested in member input on his point cost. Deciding on his various stats and powers was pretty easy. However, I'm wondering if he should cost more or less than the 100 points I assigned. I'm assuming that point value is likely the primary subject of debate for most any custom figure.

I'm thinking that though his base stats are a little low for his cost, it balances out due to his flying and two interesting abilities (though each requires a particular circumstance to use). One could use him in combat and then after taking a wound or two, set him on a glyph or a strategically elevated spot as a statue that could pounce on any subsequent turn. I figure he would be particularly good at taking a glyph and keeping it from most attackers, and that's important on most maps. I think that the choices required by the player on when to use him offensively or defensively might make him interesting and fun to play.

Well thanks for your attention and any input that you may have. I look forward to interacting with this great site more in the future.

spidey
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: A brand new Heroscaper's very first custom attempt

Welcome to the site! Nice start on your first custom.

Some suggestions
Diving as worded is not a special attack - it is an ability that modifies the Gargoyle's normal attack.

Diving Special Attack
If Gargoyle of Dryxx moved at least one space and began its move at least 3 levels higher than the base of the targeted figure, Gargoyle of Dryxx rolls 2 additional attack dice.

Stone Statue is a bit trickier. Abilities that trigger and stay in effect until another Order Marker is revealed can cause problems during a game. You might consider using a marker to show when the Gargoyle is a statue.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:00 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey View Post
This site is wonderful! I have dropped in and looked around many times in the past. The fan-created content on this site is extremely impressive.

I have been itching to try my own hand at a custom for a long time I'm thinking that though his base stats are a little low for his cost, it balances out due to his flying and two interesting abilities (though each requires a particular circumstance to use). One could use him in combat and then after taking a wound or two, set him on a glyph or a strategically elevated spot as a statue that could pounce on any subsequent turn. I figure he would be particularly good at taking a glyph and keeping it from most attackers, and that's important on most maps. I think that the choices required by the player on when to use him offensively or defensively might make him interesting and fun to play.

Well thanks for your attention and any input that you may have. I look forward to interacting with this great site more in the future.

spidey
Welcome to Heroscapers! Great way to start, with a cool custom. I like the abilities, and the stats seem on par with another 100 point hero: Major X17

And Gurei-Oni:

I also like the DeathWalker-like ability of Stone Statue. My inclination is to run him aggressively until he is down to 1 or 2 life, then park him on a glyph or other choke point.

He will also work nicely with Arrow Gruts; bond with the Gargoyle, and use him to draw enemy fire while you get your speedy gruts in position.

I agee with mac122's assessment in regards to a marker of sorts to mark when the Gargoyle is, well, stoned. Perhaps require the X marker on the card in order for the Gargoyle to use this ability?

Overall ==>

Last edited by Filthy the Clown; December 1st, 2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: GUREII!!!!!!!!
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:01 PM

.68 knows what's in an order marker .68 knows what's in an order marker

I like the statue power. I think if Krug is 120 this guy is ok at 100.
I didn't see your location at first, welcome to the site, fellow maritimer!

Last edited by .68; December 1st, 2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Noticed location of Spidey
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:22 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

100 points seems a pretty good point to try this guy out and see what happens.

I like Filthy's idea of using the X OM on him for when he's a statue.

Maybe something to the effect of:

STONE STATUE
Before beginning a turn you may reveal an X Order Marker on Gargoyle of Dryxx. While the revealed X Order Marker is on Gargoyle of Dryxx army card and until a numbered Order Marker is revealed on Gargoyle of Dryxx army card, Gargoyle of Dryxx is a statue and gains 5 defense dice when attacked. Units are not considered engaged when adjacent to the Gargoyle of Dryxx statue. If Gargoyle of Dryxx receives one or more wounds while a statue, he is destroyed.

I'm sure someone can word it much better than I just did, but you get the idea.

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; December 1st, 2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: There are definitely some holes in that wording that would need to be ironed out.
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:46 PM

spidey Woo who?

Thanks so much for the input folks.

I purposely made the dive a special attack because elevation bonuses don't affect special attack dice. If the dive wasn't a special attack, a player could gain an additional attack die (bringing the total to 7) if the gargoyle performed the dive and landed above and adjacent to the target. However, thanks for pointing out that it was worded much more as a normal attack and not as a special attack. I've revised the card in light of this.

I appreciated the comments about using a token. I had originally wanted to include use of a token or marker within the text, but there wasn't room and I figured that the use of a token was self evident. On reflection i think you are correct. The token must be mentioned. Few things are self evident to everyone sitting at a gaming table. Besides, with the new wording on the dive attack, I now have the room.

HERE IS THE REVISED CARD...

Thanks again and please continue the critique.

spidey

Last edited by spidey; December 5th, 2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:47 PM

spidey Woo who?

Hellooooooooo Shelburne!

Nice to run into a fellow Nova Scotian on my very first post. We have a weekly tabletop group that meets here in a local community room. Drop me a message if you are ever going to be in the area.

spidey

Last edited by spidey; December 1st, 2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

How about this:

Quote:
After moving and instead of attacking, you may place a Stone token on the Gargoyle of Dryxx's army card. While this token is in place, the Gargoyle of Dryxx adds 5 to his defense and he cannot take passing swipes at a figure leaving engagement. If the Gargoyle of Dryxx receives a wound while this token is in place, he is destroyed. You must remove the token before taking a turn with the Gargoyle of Dryxx.
~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread

Last edited by cmgames; December 1st, 2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Rethought the wording of the last sentence.
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM

spidey Woo who?

Thanks again folks for the suggestions.

Personally, I'm resistant to using the X Marker to show when he is "Stoned" because the X Marker is far from a useless marker. I think it can really hurt you in many situations when your opponents know where your X Marker is located. Revealing it early allows experienced players a better chance to predict your units move and attack order. Not to mention that the 3rd Order Marker will essentially be revealed to everyone prematurely when it eventually becomes the only unrevealed marker. Placing a "Stone Marker" on the army card or a Wound Token next to the figure allows for players to see clearly whether he is "Stoned" or not without interfering with the mechanics of the gameplay.

I feel encouraged to create more customs. I'll certainly be keeping my eyes peeled for anything that can become a custom figure.

On that note... I have been running a tabletop Marvel Super Heroes RPG every Sunday at 2pm since 1984. I'm tempted to post some army cards based on those characters since I'm so familiar with them. I've seen a variety of them online and I might take a crack at it too.

Hmmm... Now I'm thinking that any duplicate Heroclix figures I have are in great danger now of being "Drafted" into Heroscape duty. LOL

Please keep the comments coming... I'm really loving this site. I was very saddened to hear that the future of the game's manufacture is in jeopardy unless WoTC alters its plans or licenses out the rights.

It's comforting to know that with a thriving website like this one, Heroscape can still largely live onward regardless of whether it is still produced.

spidey
Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:38 PM

.68 knows what's in an order marker .68 knows what's in an order marker
Lightbulb Re: A brand new Heroscaper's very first custom attempt

I want to try this guy with Arrow gruts. Have you put thought into an army idea yet Spidey?

Krug 120
Gargoyle 100
Gruts X4 160
Swog riders X4 100
Total 480
20 points left for filler.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:07 PM

spidey Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .68 View Post
I want to try this guy with Arrow gruts. Have you put thought into an army idea yet Spidey?

Krug 120
Gargoyle 100
Gruts X4 160
Swog riders X4 100
Total 480
20 points left for filler.

I only created him yesterday and haven't yet used him. Also... alas... I don't have the figures you are mentioning.

spidey

"A man that carries a cat by the tail, learns something that he will learn no other way." - Mark Twain
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:17 PM

Oprime is surprisingly tart

I like this guy.

I would consider having his diving attack require him to start his movement unengaged as well as 3 levels to the intended target.

thus preventing a "walkaround" to gain the hieght while engaged and then diving.

something like: If gargoyle of dryxx begins its movement unengaged to, and at least 3 levels higher then an enemy figure it ends its movement adjacent to he may add 2 additional attack dice

Last edited by Oprime; December 2nd, 2010 at 05:24 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards