Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old June 24th, 2020, 10:07 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

This Rujin feels less Troll-ish than the last version, but we don't have an example of a Valhalla Troll yet so there's no precedent that has to be followed.

Looking at it again (I saw it in the pre-SoV thread), I'm a bit concerned about his survivability. 8 Life / 3 Defense (against the majority of units) is pretty darn good, plus he has a regenerate power. That's just balance, though, and 115 is high for a single attack of 4. So I'm willing to give him a try.

to review Rujin
Old June 24th, 2020, 10:54 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

to review Rujin

Your custom probably has too much Defense.
--
Come join the Heroes of Middle Earth in creating Lord of the Rings Customs!
--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 24th, 2020, 02:07 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My hatred of "once per round" abilities is boiling up again. It feels like I've been seeing them frequently on designs. Overextend was the only ability in original scape that used this. So, yes, there is already precedence, but it was also a precedence that it was seldomly used.

If you are curious why I don't like it...

Spoiler Alert!

I'm growing increasingly complacent to it as I seem to be the only opposing voice of it, but before I give in completely, I thought I'd spit my hatred one last time!
Old June 24th, 2020, 05:02 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

I like once-per-round powers as an untapped design space, personally. I'll probably be posting some customs to my own thread soon that use them quite a bit.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.
--
Come join the Heroes of Middle Earth in creating Lord of the Rings Customs!
--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 25th, 2020, 12:38 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (only under 10 points though)

BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Re: Once per round powers -- I definitely get the concern for having memory mechanics in the game, and once per round powers can fall into that category. In the case of Overextend Attack, taking the extra wound usually is a "marker" of sorts to remind you that you used the power. Ideally in Rujin's case removing a "marker" helps with that memory mechanic in the same way.

I like the new version of Rujin a lot more than the older iteration. Still lots of good theme while sporting a new and interesting playstyle. I hope that playstyle is enough to help him stand out form Pel and Uzog, since having so many heroes at the same price range is a concern for me, but that's something that can be tested for.

to Rujin.
Old June 25th, 2020, 01:23 PM

Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Rujin looks much more dynamic and engaging than his last iteration. I really like most of the changes that have been made here.

Devour working once per round doesn't really concern me. I'm sympathetic to the concern of having too many once-per-round powers, but whether Rujin got a kill this round or not shouldn't be too difficult to remember in most games. It also fits quite well with the Durgeth Ravagers, who only get to bond when getting a kill themselves anyway.

I do find an 8 life, 3 defense hero who will regularly get 6 attack and can heal himself to be rather concerning, though. HeroScape has a history of balancing units based on their best situations instead of the average game (poor Obsidian Guards and Taelord), so we have to assume that Rujin will more often than not get the Territorial bonus with the Ravagers on a swamp map. He has better survivability than Pel and Uzog and a hard-to-avoid attack bonus to bring his offense up to their level (avoiding both swamp and swamp water altogether is often difficult). I find it difficult to imagine that he won't outclass at least one savage.

That said, if Territorial is less reliable on swamp maps than it seems, he does provide less offensive power than the other options. That could very well make him more of a tradeoff than a reliable upgrade for the Ravagers.

It's a tough call, but I'm willing to see how it plays out. to review Rujin.
Old June 25th, 2020, 01:41 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Rujin has received 5 Yea votes to review (superfrog,Scytale, capsocrates, BiggaBullfrog, and Astroking112) and moves forward in the process.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs