Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old January 7th, 2021, 10:06 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Is it fatal? No. Is it worth discussing? Yes. Better I note an objection here, where people can see it, then later. If you didn't like it, you could have said so as well.
Yeah, it's worth discussing, and better to do so here. I'm pretty ambivalent about it myself. Perhaps some other Judges will chime in.
Old January 7th, 2021, 10:34 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

If it helps any at all, I'd like to just point back to my theme and the feel I was designing for. Diablo or Dungeon crawler elite, big boi at the center of a hoard that would commonly be named something like this. Simple, to the point, thematic.

Much like the units he works with are named simply, thematically... Tomb Skeletons... Tomb Skeleton Archers. Cut from the same cloth
Old January 7th, 2021, 10:46 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Personally, this mini doesn't strike me as a Commander, boss-type skeleton. I think a skeleton commander should stand out a little more with either armor, size, adornments, or a steed. This mini frankly doesn't have much of any of those imo. I feel like there are a lot of skeleton minis that could suit this design better (though, notably, probably not the availability). For example, THIS guy would suite a "commander of hordes" unit much better.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old January 7th, 2021, 11:03 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
If it helps any at all, I'd like to just point back to my theme and the feel I was designing for. Diablo or Dungeon crawler elite, big boi at the center of a hoard that would commonly be named something like this. Simple, to the point, thematic.

Much like the units he works with are named simply, thematically... Tomb Skeletons... Tomb Skeleton Archers. Cut from the same cloth
I hear you, but it's not the same.

It's one thing to call the Revolutionary War riflemen the "4th Massachusetts Line," it would be quite another to design an associated hero and name her "General Massachusettsetts."

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 7th, 2021, 11:16 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Well, I guess the name and the sculpt are rather arbitrary. If there is something that fits the design better that is available then I shouldn't complain.

I'm not trying to be difficult.

Last edited by Shiftrex; January 7th, 2021 at 11:44 PM.
Old January 7th, 2021, 11:27 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I for one love the name.
Old January 8th, 2021, 01:37 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I don’t really like the name myself.

I agree with Sir Heroscape in the miniature front. I’ll also freely admit my bias against designs that are trying to shoot fixer bonding and synergies into each nook and cranny of Heroscape, especially when the design seems to just have bonding for the sake of bonding on it. Not that I’ll just automatically boo down any design with bonding, but it’s going to need to sell me. (Clayton is a good example of a design that combines a cool western theme with mechanics to make something that feels fresh.)

I’m not really feeling it with the current design, but I do like the vision of the design. I think an undead warden acting as a big bad for a dungeon setting is a super sweet idea (I am a sucker for dungeon crawls). But I’m not getting big bad from this design, it’s just skeleton Kato with a space limit, which is uninteresting to me. Honestly it feels disjointed, where part of it wants to be a cheap commander while the idea wants to be a boss. I’d rather see it commit one way or the other. Personally, I would love to see it become an “elite big boi” that leads the battle instead of just directing the mooks. To circle back around to Sir H’s post, using a giant skeleton like he posted and giving it some front line boss stats would be way more interesting and dynamic, IMO. (That mini he posted is super sick.)

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old January 8th, 2021, 01:48 AM

Yeah that mini he posted is also 50 dollars! lol and not an option on availability. I understand if it is unappealing and not interesting to anyone here. The miniature doesn't exist to communicate the same enjoyment I'm getting out of it I guess.

If we are stuck on things like the name and the miniature not appealing with this being the first real mention of any of his mechanics that isn't a great direction.

I'll go ahead and withdraw. Thanks for looking at stuff. I'll try to submit a different custom in the future.
Old January 8th, 2021, 02:40 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Yeah that mini he posted is also 50 dollars! lol and not an option on availability. I understand if it is unappealing and not interesting to anyone here. The miniature doesn't exist to communicate the same enjoyment I'm getting out of it I guess.

If we are stuck on things like the name and the miniature not appealing with this being the first real mention of any of his mechanics that isn't a great direction.

I'll go ahead and withdraw. Thanks for looking at stuff. I'll try to submit a different custom in the future.
Don't be too discouraged. Every judge has their own nitpicks that they will look for in any submission. One aspect that will always attract a critical eye, is bonding. Any power that gives extra turns, will need to really jive with the rest of the design, or you're going to see push back. Even designs that passed with bonding received push back. If you really like the ideas behind this design, don't give up on it yet. Try to give them a theme, and a reason to exist beyond simply making the skeletons better. And if that doesn't work, you'll still have a fun custom to use for your own games.
Old January 8th, 2021, 03:12 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Arrow Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

For what it's worth, I like the design well enough and find the miniature to be a decent fit. The giant skeleton looks cool of course, but we have to be realistic about availability and pricing.

The name is far from egregious as far as I'm concerned (especially when compared to the Tomb Skeletons), and I don't expect that something that relatively easily changeable would be a significant hindrance past the submission point, when designs often attract more attention and criticism. If you want to push through, I think that there's probably a miniature and name out there that can please enough people.

I do share BiggaBullfrog's concerns about Tatomb potentially feeling too close to a "Kato for skeletons," but I'd be willing to see how that pans out in testing. It's difficult to have something that feels fresh when combining two squads like this, especially since the double-turn controller has been done so much at this point.
Old January 8th, 2021, 07:28 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old January 8th, 2021, 09:12 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Yeah that mini he posted is also 50 dollars! lol and not an option on availability.
Oof, yeah don’t know why I didn’t see that coming. I did just do a quick search on troll and toad for skeletons and found a Minotaur skeleton that has about 40 minis in stock between two different versions (one of those where they’re the same but one has a hammer and one has an axe). Again though, that’s if you’re looking to capitalize on the big bad aspect of the design. I think you could also use the mini you have, I’m just not getting that elite boss feel from it. (I would post a mini but I’m phone posting on my way to work.)

And yeah, definitely don’t get discouraged. Like I said, I’m predisposed to not like designs like this / be more nitpicks about a design like this, but I’m also only one judge. I think there are some pretty easy changes that could be made to make me happy even with my bias, but even if those don’t pan out if the majority of the judges like the design then you’re still good. I may not be the happiest about it myself, but that’s also why there’s more than one judge.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs