Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

View Poll Results: Vote for all maps that you think are tournament-worthy.
Water Hole 7 12.50%
Dark and Secret Passages 13 23.21%
Cave Brawl 18 32.14%
Bloody Chasm 27 48.21%
Separation Anxiety 18 32.14%
Around the Bend 29 51.79%
Cavern Circuit 25 44.64%
Merango Cave 9 16.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 18th, 2012, 04:39 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
VOTE the BftU Challenge: BRACKET 2/4

Welcome folks.

This is the SECOND of FOUR voting brackets for The 1x BftU Challenge.

We had 32 submissions in total. Since the forum software imposes limits on the size of polls, I’ve randomly ordered our entries into 4 brackets of 8 maps each. The winning 4 maps from each bracket will go on to the semi-final brackets (2 brackets of 8 maps each). The winning 4 maps from each semi-final bracket will go on to the final bracket. The winning 3 from that will take home the prizes for First, Second, and Third place.

NOTE: You are allowed to vote for as many maps as you like in each bracket. Now please don’t think this means that you can submit votes multiple times. You can’t — each poll still only allows you to submit votes one time per poll. But you CAN vote for as many or few maps as you like in that submission.

This means we’re using a form of approval voting (thanks dok). Essentially you’re being asked to grade each map on a pass/fail basis. If you like a map and think it deserves to pass, give it a vote. If you think a map is less impressive and probably shouldn’t pass, don’t give it a vote. The winners of each bracket will be those that receive the most ‘passes’.

The nice thing about this form of approval voting is that it allows you to give a thumbs-up to as many or few maps as you deem fit. And you don’t need to worry about exactly how many or few you pass. Whether you vote for only 1 map in each bracket, or for 7, or anywhere in between, you’ll be exerting exactly the same amount of total influence. (Just don’t vote for all 8! That’s the same as voting for none. )

The aim of the contest: to build good tournament-worthy maps. At the minimum, I think this means maps that (a) offer interesting tactical decisions; and (b) are relatively balanced between melee and ranged. Beyond that, though, I know we’re all going to bring our own criteria to bear. So formulate your criteria, and have fun analyzing the heck out of these!

And don’t forget to vote in the other brackets too. You’ll find the first here, the third here, and the fourth here. We invite the entire Heroscapers.com community to participate. Don’t be shy!

How long will voting remain open, you ask? Until three days from now. The polls will close at the end of Saturday, Jan. 21, at which point the winners from each bracket will go on to the semi-finals.

IN THIS BRACKET:

Last edited by Typhon2222; January 18th, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:01 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: VOTE the BftU Challenge: BRACKET 2/4

Some univited thoughts on the maps. These are going to sound critical. Bear in mind that I know that BftUx1 is a pain to work with, and each map has to make compromises.

Water Hole - The namesake of the map makes it pretty tough on melee. I'm also a bit concerned that Raelin can cover a glyph and the best high ground from a spot at the front of the startzone.

Dark and Secret Passages - this map really tells its story. The footprint is a nice one. I wish the big LoS blocker was in a spot that had a greater impact.

Cave Brawl - among the most "conventional" tournament maps in the entire contest. LoS is well-used. This map is very easy to clog up with rats, but solid aside from that.

Bloody Chasm - another nice, fairly conventional map. I don't like that the power glyphs have height on several adjacent spaces, but that's my only big complaint.

Separation Anxiety - Obviously a unique layout. This map offers a lot of room to maneuver by spreading itself so wide. However, opening initiative is absolutely critical on this map... to much so IMO.

Around the Bend - I like the length of the map, and the way the horseshoe footprint keeps that length from being a logistical issue. My big issue with this map is that the LoS blockers are not in play. Also, while it takes her two activations to reach it, Raelin can cover both glyphs from a perch on the highest point of the map.

Cavern Circuit - perhaps the most creative layout in the competition. However, the lack of glyphs and the double-water barrier leads me to suspect that this one could have fairly slow and straightforward play.

Merango Cave - another classic-looking design. It looks pretty balanced despite the apparent asymmetry, and the LoS blockers are well-used. This one has another super-RaeRae perch, though (reached in one turn, covers both glyphs).
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:54 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Thanks to dok for getting discussion started. I should have mentioned it from the beginning, but it slipped my mind. So let me affirm it now: open analysis of the entries here is highly encouraged. I exhort everyone to post whatever thoughts, comments, analyses, reservations, and praise occurs to them. Reading what others think of maps is always instructive and a pleasure, and gosh knows I usually learn lots in the process. So let the discussion spring forth! I beg only that any possible criticism be framed gently and constructively. (But given how classy we are, that goes without saying.)
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I think Cavern Circuit is ingenious and I'm surprised it's not collecting more votes. It solves the problem of the short supply of terrain by (a) using voids to (b) build a circle. What a great map; of the two brackets I've studied it's the one I'm most intrigued to play on.

Around the Bend, by comparison, looks like a footrace. These maps with parallel paths to a high ground at the opposing end tend to be somewhat boring footraces, in my experience. I'll take the Krav and Zelrig, thank you.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; January 18th, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Just to clarify, as these are tourney maps (and not scenario ones) the assumption is that all null spaces (spaces with no hexes) are treated as in the rules (p. 12, BftU):

Quote:
If the distance between your figures and the targeted figure includes an area with no spaces (for example, near the edge of the battlefield), you may still attack it, but count the spaces along the battlefield to check the Range.
So, units cannot fly over null spaces, but can shoot over them (when they have LOS), but the distance is based on actual hexes (however far around you end up counting), not using the null spaces as hexes.

(It makes for odd physics/situations when those null spaces are in the middle and not along an edge, but as long as everyone is on the same page it's all good: "It's a game, not a simulation!" In fact, sometimes it adds fun and interesting wrinkles and tactics.)

--

I just want to be clear that we're talking about null spaces not unseen LOS blockers (as some BftU scenarios postulate).
Old January 18th, 2012, 04:54 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Your expectations are correct, 1Mmirg. I wish that the rulebook codified the rules for voids from Chaos in the Catacombs, but unfortunately it does not.
Old January 18th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Very good. Just want the votes to reflect actual gameplay.

(BTW, for those that dislike the "It's a game, not a simulation" argument--my kids think of null spaces as huge updrafts/spacial disturbances--so flying doesn't work, sight is okay, but shooting is disrupted. It's not perfect, but, hey, it's a game, not a ..., well, you get it .)
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Just to clarify, as these are tourney maps (and not scenario ones) the assumption is that all null spaces (spaces with no hexes) are treated as in the rules (p. 12, BftU):

Quote:
If the distance between your figures and the targeted figure includes an area with no spaces (for example, near the edge of the battlefield), you may still attack it, but count the spaces along the battlefield to check the Range.
So, units cannot fly over null spaces, but can shoot over them (when they have LOS), but the distance is based on actual hexes (however far around you end up counting), not using the null spaces as hexes.

Good reminder, 1Mmirg. I tried to summarize the rules concerning void spaces in the contest rules (copied below, in blue), but perhaps could have underscored them more emphatically.

• Void space may be your friend in gaining some much-needed horizontal separation. It's seldom used, but may be a key asset here. (See Mad_Wookiee's Blindgate for a great example.) Remember that while LoS can be traced across void space, distance must be counted around it.

Last edited by Typhon2222; January 18th, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Ohmigosh, another tight one here for 4th.
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

This is really close. I never thought Bloody Chasm would do so well.

Old January 20th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Around the Bend - I like the length of the map, and the way the horseshoe footprint keeps that length from being a logistical issue. My big issue with this map is that the LoS blockers are not in play. Also, while it takes her two activations to reach it, Raelin can cover both glyphs from a perch on the highest point of the map.
The LoS blockers help to keep units such as Syvarris from picking off enemy figures around the bend (since you can shoot around bends, but only if you have LoS).
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:41 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
The LoS blockers help to keep units such as Syvarris from picking off enemy figures around the bend (since you can shoot around bends, but only if you have LoS).
Each grouping protects 7 hexes from the perch.

Could've had the same coverage using the single 3-hex outcrop placed at the bend, and then freed the three 1-hexes to make some main field los gaps.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games