Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for all maps that you think are tournament-worthy.
Caverns 23 41.07%
Shadow Chasm 18 32.14%
The Hall of Fiends 9 16.07%
Shards 25 44.64%
Bottomless Pit 5 8.93%
Horned Peaks 23 41.07%
It's a Trap! 18 32.14%
Anvil 34 60.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 18th, 2012, 03:31 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
VOTE the BftU Challenge: BRACKET 3/4

Welcome folks.

This is the THIRD of FOUR voting brackets for The 1x BftU Challenge.

We had 32 submissions in total. Since the forum software imposes limits on the size of polls, I’ve randomly ordered our entries into 4 brackets of 8 maps each. The winning 4 maps from each bracket will go on to the semi-final brackets (2 brackets of 8 maps each). The winning 4 maps from each semi-final bracket will go on to the final bracket. The winning 3 from that will take home the prizes for First, Second, and Third place.

NOTE: You are allowed to vote for as many maps as you like in each bracket. Now please don’t think this means that you can submit votes multiple times. You can’t — each poll still only allows you to submit votes one time per poll. But you CAN vote for as many or few maps as you like in that submission.

This means we’re using a form of approval voting (thanks dok). Essentially you’re being asked to grade each map on a pass/fail basis. If you like a map and think it deserves to pass, give it a vote. If you think a map is less impressive and probably shouldn’t pass, don’t give it a vote. The winners of each bracket will be those that receive the most ‘passes’.

The nice thing about this form of approval voting is that it allows you to give a thumbs-up to as many or few maps as you deem fit. And you don’t need to worry about exactly how many or few you pass. Whether you vote for only 1 map in each bracket, or for 7, or anywhere in between, you’ll be exerting exactly the same amount of total influence. (Just don’t vote for all 8! That’s the same as voting for none. )

The aim of the contest: to build good tournament-worthy maps. At the minimum, I think this means maps that (a) offer interesting tactical decisions; and (b) are relatively balanced between melee and ranged. Beyond that, though, I know we’re all going to bring our own criteria to bear. So formulate your criteria, and have fun analyzing the heck out of these!

And don’t forget to vote in the other brackets too. You’ll find the first here, the second here, and the fourth here. We invite the entire Heroscapers.com community to participate. Don’t be shy!

How long will voting remain open, you ask? Until three days from now. The polls will close at the end of Saturday, Jan. 21, at which point the winners from each bracket will go on to the semi-finals.

IN THIS BRACKET:

Last edited by Typhon2222; January 18th, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:54 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: VOTE the BftU Challenge: BRACKET 3/4

I should have mentioned this from the beginning, but it slipped my mind. So let me affirm it now: open analysis of the entries here is highly encouraged. I exhort everyone to post whatever thoughts, comments, analyses, reservations, and praise occurs to them. Reading what others think of maps is always instructive and a pleasure, and gosh knows I usually learn lots in the process. So let the discussion spring forth! I beg only that any possible criticism be framed gently and constructively. (But given how classy we are, that goes without saying.)
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:44 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I don't want to do a comprehensive rundown here, because my map is in this group. However, I have to say that I'm surprised to see Horned Peaks sitting in 5th. I'd expect it to be in the top two or three; I think it's one of the best maps in the entire competition.
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Man, things are close. Horned Peaks is only one vote shy of tying with Shadow Chasm for 4th. If they were to tie, both would advance.

Last edited by Typhon2222; January 19th, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:17 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

dok, you have great anaytical skills for evaluating these and I wish you would add your two cents for these too, just leave out your entry

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:00 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

OK, fine, I'll do it.

Caverns - I like the symmetry. The split startzones, in addition to a metagame shift, give you an interesting choice - go across the flat ground and try to pin in your opponent, or make a play for the high ground. My big issue with this map is the glyph placement. The glyph is behind a double water barrier, gets height on the surrounding terrain, and can't be occupied by a double-spacer. Given the value of Gerda, this map offers an enormous edge to armies with single-spaced flyers/slitherers, including armies that tossed in Marcu for filler.

Shadow Chasm - I have a soft spot for any map that elevates the 24-hexers. However, I worry that the orange startzone is a bit stronger, and I'm also worried that without glyphs and with each side having better access to one side, strategy here will be pretty straightforward.

The Hall of Fiends - I don't like that glyphs can get grabbed by walking melee in one turn. I'm also concerned that the LoS blockers do more to block movement than they do to block LoS.

Shards - looks really solid. The asymmetries make it a bit tricky to evaluate without playing, but all the things I think to check convince me that it's very close. (I think I'd prefer the yellow side, but it might fall below the "I'd ask to dice off in a typical game if my opponent had already sat down" line.)

Bottomless Pit - the preponderance of water in the center forces most of the action to the one-space wide passages on the side. Clog city in any squad-heavy battle.

Horned Peaks - maybe not the best map in the competition, but perhaps the most useful idea going forward. Creating a map center with reflective symmetry, then using the 24 spacers for startzones while marginalizing their asymmetry by giving them the same access to the rest of the map, is a really clever concept and one I will be copying in the near future. My only real complaint about this map is that the LoS blockers don't restrict sight lines to the glyphs, which is a significant issue, I think. Other than that, really nice.

It's a Trap! - 8 pit trap glyphs? Good heavens. If this map were printed on toilet paper, I would consider it used.

Anvil - I've workshopped this map, so obviously I like where it's gone. Very solid overall. Looking at it now, the one thing I'm not sure I like is the central level 3 spot. It seems like extra "lumpiness" that's not really needed. I think two more level 2 spots would be better than that one level 3 spot.

Last edited by dok; January 19th, 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think "It's A Trap!" is actually a great map, but it took a while for me to come around on it. The glyph usage is exotic, of course, but not insurmountable; and the map looks difficult to build with that floating island on level 1. But in play, it's got some of the more interesting while least frustrating decisions and features. It would be a perfect map for a draft tourney.
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Nah, dok is right-It's a Trap! is definitely garbage.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)

Last edited by Killometer; January 19th, 2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: I don't think Shedim spends as much time obsessing on this site as I do...
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:59 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Thanks dok, for Hall of Fiends, it's too late now but what if I took out the two treasure glyphs and placed wound on the dungeon 7hex on level 2 behind the nine high outcrop? Also, I'd move the single dungeon hex on lvl 3 someplace else to fill a void space in the middle. I'm asking anyone.
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:38 PM

Oooh, nail-bitingly close....
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:41 AM

Caverns, Shards, Horned Peaks, and Anvil go on to the semi-finals!

Drawing up those brackets now.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games