Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old October 24th, 2014, 11:57 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Ixe's Custom Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
@IshMEL , I see the Nature's Wrath power as the plant thrashing and lashing out in all directions. Think a sort of whirlwind attack as it swings it's branches or thorny vines around. Trees can be scary. Just look at what Durkon has to say about trees in this Order of the Stick Comic. In any case, I'm glad to hear that you like her (I also am a fan of druids). Fun fact: Isely is named after Pamela Isely, a.k.a. Poison Ivy.
That makes sense regarding the thrashing plants. Those roots can really trip you up! Nice OOTS reference (I have a "Thundershield" dwarf in my lineup as a Durkon homage). Now if only those OOTS miniatures weren't so darned expensive...
Old October 27th, 2014, 03:48 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

In the interesting of making up for my lack of Ullar units, here is some Ullar Cavalry. I know wonder if I can round out the cavalry for other factions as well.

These are Kelt Centaurs 1, 2 and 3 from Rakham Kelts - Sessair.

NAME = Centaur Axecrashers
GENERAL = Ullar
PLANET = Feylund
SPECIES = Centaur
CLASS = Warriors
PERSONALITY = Wild
SIZE = Large 6
COMMON SQUAD

LIFE = 1 (3 Figures)
MOVE = 8
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 120

FRENZY 16
After taking a turn with the Centaur Axecrashers, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, you may take another turn with the Centaur Axecrashers.

FRENZIED STRENGTH

Add one to the Centaur Axecrashers' Attack value for each previous turn they have taken since you revealed an Order Marker on this card.

The Axecrashers act as cavalry for Ullar, charging into battle and raining down heavy blows with their sturdy axes. Like some other Ullar units, they can enter into a frenzy where they keep riding around the battlefield and trampling the enemy beneath their hooves. As opposed to some other units, they are particularly invigorated by this Frenzy and draw extra strength from this state.

I tried to keep these guys in tradition with other cavalry units: That is to say an expensive, fast 3 figure squad that can hit hard and isn't particularly good. They are just as vulnerable as the others and their attack can't be boosted as reliably, but I did give them a higher base attack and they are probably a bit better given the frenzy. I am tempted to drop their attack to 3 and increase their frenzied boost to 2 but frenzying is already such an upside that I don't want to heap more on it. Besides, I prefer them to be somewhat useful without jumping through too many hoops.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ixe; November 3rd, 2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Scaling Frenzied Strength
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:14 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

If you take 3 turns in one turn, do you get +2 attack on the third turn?
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:38 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Good question. That is certainly not the intention. I could add "until the end of the turn" or something to that extent to help clarify but it does not seem that other units that have similar conditional boosts have any question of whether or not it continues to scale up.
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:49 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

I think it would be really cool if the extra attack dice stacked each time you got an additional frenzy. I just like the idea of centaurs going absolutely crazy, attacking with more and more ferocity. It falls into their wild theme.
Old October 30th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

The Centaur Axecrashers seem like a good fit to the cavalry class of units, which are infamously overpriced. Three figures with only 3 defense for 120pts fits right in with them.

Frenzy on an expensive unit is much different than on a cheap one. With Vipers or even Aubriens you can field a lot of them and expect the occasional Frenzy. With a unit as costly and weak defensively as this, it's unlikely you'll get to see a Frenzy happen. Which makes them incredibly swingy. Frenzied Strength makes that even moreso.

I do not think it's clear that Frenzied Strength does not stack over multiple frenzies. It obviously would not be a permanent increase (similar to Wait Then Fire), but powers like that aren't worded clearly which makes them "play what seems right" powers. In this case, I couldn't tell by looking if you intended them to continue to boost if they continued to Frenzy or not.
Old October 31st, 2014, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I went ahead and changed my mind so that the attack bonus does scale with each successful Frenzy. I have attempted to adjust the wording to make that more clear.

Like all the other cavalry, these guys will be unreliable with their price and not particularly good. With Frenzy, they will also be naturally swingy. On average, Frenzy makes it so a three figure squad acts like one with 4 figures instead, but this only really holds up if you roll enough times. While it may be true for them for multiple games, there is enough variance that they will sometimes be incredible and otherwise be pretty miserable. Frenzied Strength makes them more swingy, and I decided to amp it up and let them swing some more. Now I can justify their cost by saying that they basically need to be. Heroscape is full of plenty of units who cost a ton because they basically have to. Their ability is just so high impact with a lucky set of rolls that they can warp the game, even if they are not that good on average. I'm comfortable with the Axecrashers being able to fall into that camp.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:33 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I've meant to post this before, but I really love the Axecrashers! Those scuplts are beautiful and the fact that you decided that the attack bonus does stack only helps sell the unit even more! These guys, Mittens, and some Vipers would prabably raise hell against your opponents... At least in 1 on 1 matches.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; November 2nd, 2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Too bad it looks like the minis are horrifically expensive lol
Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:59 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

How's this sound?

FRENZIED STRENGTH
Add one to the Centaur Axecrashers' Attack value for each previous turn they have taken this turn.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:58 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
How's this sound?

FRENZIED STRENGTH
Add one to the Centaur Axecrashers' Attack value for each previous turn they have taken this turn.
I'd go with:

FRENZIED STRENGTH
Add one to the Centaur Axecrashers' Attack value for each previous turn they have taken since you revealed an Order Marker on this card.

These guys are awesome!
Old November 3rd, 2014, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the comments and recommendations on how to tweak the Axecrasher's power wording. I've gone with IshMEL's for now.

I've also noticed that I only had 1 Aquilla unit to this point, so here is in the interest of changing that:

This is the Dragonborn Defender from D&D Miniatures - Against the Giants.

This is the Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut from D&D Miniatures - Demonweb

And this is the Male Dragonborn Warlord from D&D Miniatures - PHB Heroes Series 2

NAME = Helmspire Dragonshields
GENERAL = Aquilla
PLANET = Eberron
SPECIES = Dragonborn
CLASS = Paladins
PERSONALITY = Ferocious
SIZE = Medium 5
COMMON SQUAD

LIFE = 1 (3 Figures)
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 4
POINTS = 80

DRAGON BREATH SPECIAL ATTACK
Range Special. Attack 3.
Choose 3 spaces in a straight line from the attacking Helmspire Dragonshield. All figures on those spaces that are in line of sight are affected by Dragon Breath Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. If Dragon Breath Special Attack is used, the 2nd and 3rd figures that moved this turn cannot attack.

DIVINE BONDING

Before taking a turn with the Helmspire Dragonshields, you may first take a turn with any Paladin or Cleric Hero you control.

SMITE EVIL
When attacking an opponent's figure who follows Utgar or Valkrill, Helmspire Dragonshields receive 1 additional attack die.

The Helmspire Dragonshields are as stalwart as they are ferocious. They are ready to wield their faith and power as a weapon, channeling that power to smite evil wherever they see it. They follow a rigid path for their deity and understand those who follow similar paths, coordinating their efforts. Furthermore, they can draw upon the breath of their heritage to burn away their enemies.

These guys are particularly potent against "evil" enemies and provide a huge boon of support for Rhogar Dragonspine and Ana Karithon both. In a pod with both of their heroes against Utgar forces, they can get 4 activations of 4 attack and sit behind a sturdy 5 defense. Outside of these match ups, they come up wanting alongside a squad like the Knights of Weston.

I was a little on the fence with them. I wanted the bonding to throw a bone to some otherwise unused heroes and I feel like the Smite Evil ability captures the Paladin theme quite well. They don't however, have much of anything that ties them to being dragonborn. I was tempted to try to work in some kind of breath special attack onto their card and, despite the fact that I don't like making my bonding squads terribly complicated, I went with it anyway.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ixe; November 10th, 2014 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Added breath
Old November 3rd, 2014, 04:42 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

I've grown a liking for Rhogar, but sometimes it seems like a wasted OM to bring him alongside your heroes. I think a squad that bonds with him helps that. I'm trying to decide if I think four attacks of 3-4 and reliable healing is overpowered. I don't think so, given their point cost. Also that would be hard to determine without playing them. Overall, I like them a lot.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards